PDA

View Full Version : replacing a 200x crank...

kwit
12-20-2003, 06:20 PM
has anyone ever done this?... is it easy or should i send it to the dealer?.. i know ill need a manual tho.. anyone got one of those for sale?

mudduck14843
12-20-2003, 06:26 PM
a book is definately needed
i have gone as far as splitting the cases but didn't remove anything inside them.

the book i have/had(?) is a white with blue(not sure if it is a factory or someone else made it) book for 83-85 it has all the needed info
i was told the other book lacked some vital info but i don't know for sure...

TRI-Zbrian
12-20-2003, 06:29 PM
if you havent ever doen anythign like this before i advize you to save your self the trouble and coff up some coin and get it done by some one who nose what they are doing and see if you can wach them do it and you can learn i wouldnt try to tackle something like that on your own for the first time

short4stuff
12-20-2003, 06:31 PM
doesn't the crank have to be pressed in the case??

kwit
12-20-2003, 06:33 PM
im actually very good with engines its just that virgin fear having never worked on a 200x engine that drives me to ask questions... will i have to pull out gears and such?.. i know the timeing chain must be moved and such but will ihave to remove all the tranny gears as well?

speed20
12-20-2003, 06:40 PM
you dont necessarily have to take the tranny gears out, but the cases must be split....you have to take the oil pump off, and flywheel. i know those 2 things for sure....i know it DOESNT have to be pressed out or in...the bearings just sit in the cases. i have an extra manual if you need it....20$ plus shipping.....PM me if interested.

Im 16, and i can take tear the 200x's apart and put em back together easily...I can take one out of the frame in about 15-20 minutes...and theres alot of stuff to take off and loosen!

jeswinehart
12-20-2003, 07:12 PM
my personel thoughts are go for it kwit ,,, for what you are gonna spend on speed20's manual, a decent gasket set plus your parts won't be very much more then the tax you'd pay for a shop to do the work.
sounds like you've been into motors before so you got your hands greasy before with good results.
you'll need a "special" tool for removing clutch + oil rotor ,,, ain't nothing to special really,,, you can make it or buy it for under twenty dollars. we have beat that story to death on here before but i'm sure if you ask we will beat it some more - lol.
by the way,,, what trouble you having ? bearings,,, crank egged out ,,, ???

tranny + kick starter innards will be what is left in the case after you pull the crank,,, there's enough smarts on this site to walk you thru any troubles you might have once you get a feel who your talking too.

john

kwit
12-20-2003, 09:31 PM
The guy told me that the crank was bent from somone trying to twist the cylinder on or sumthing... not sure it will be here tomorrw.. im just worryed that im gunna mess up the gears and forget where they go or loose one or sumthin.. or weres put them in wrong and toast the tranny.....but if im crackin that case i only plan on doin it like a total of once so im replacing the rings and doin the valvues and crank seals..anything else tha this particular engine wheres down?

kwit
12-20-2003, 09:32 PM
whats this special tool u speak of?? lol

slippy4
12-20-2003, 09:37 PM
well, if you have the extra money, it would be easier to get a complete running one off of ebay, when i tried to do mine because there was a oil leak, i took it apart, and didnt get back to putting it together for a couple of months and lost a few things and forgot how it went back together. And the book said what to do but not how. so i took it to my local dealer and it ended up being like 500+ to get it back together, 250 for the labor and 250 for the parts. I got the one off of ebay for 325 and it was rebuilt like 2 hours prior to me buying it. not to mention the time its going to take to do it. just a thought

smokinp
12-20-2003, 09:42 PM
U should buy a manual if u dont have one...

kwit
12-20-2003, 09:57 PM
doesnt that defeat the purpose of a rebuild?? .. i actually thought about doin such a thing until i realized if everyone just gave up and bought a new one.. then there wouldnt be any left to snatch up when the thing granades on you.. so until then .. im gunna try and make the best of it

slippy4
12-20-2003, 10:00 PM
yes, it does, but just a thought. i tried it once and didnt want to go through it again. plus it still leaked oil, clutch slipped, and it smoked, lol

jonus079
12-20-2003, 10:35 PM
well iv done it on a 200s and it wasnt all that bad. it was a pain to get everthing apart and then seal it all up again.

jeswinehart
12-20-2003, 10:52 PM
i made my own in less the a hour kwit ,,, it hasn't gave up on me yet.
it did cost me a 7/8ths socket ,,, and a little time with a small grinding wheel.

kwit
12-22-2003, 01:40 AM
and what is that little tool used for?... pulling the fly wheel?..?

slippy4
12-22-2003, 01:42 AM
or you can try a punch and hammer. worked for me :).

BigRedRunner
12-23-2003, 08:54 PM
and what is that little tool used for?... pulling the fly wheel?..?

Nah, its for the nut on the end of the crank and the clutch basket. The style nut it uses is called a castle nut. Its called that because it looks the turret of a castle. I wouldn't used a chisel and a punch unless you enjoy mangled looking parts. :rolleyes: