PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a 250sx!

Gearheadtom
05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Finally got myself something with some power to it, and with rear suspension. I've always run 200 chain drives before this.
I paid $300, and traded my 200m, average price for these bikes around here. I got it not running, the starter gears were stripped, and the 1-way clutch bearing was completely shot. It was being driven until the starter gears went.
It came with the new bearing, but even after putting it in, the kickstarter still barely works, but at least now I can get the bike started. It grabs a lot better to when the motor is warm. I think the part of the clutch that runs on the inside of the bearing is worn. Runs goods now that I got the carb cleaned and adjusted. There's some top end noise tho, and it gets worse and turns to a tap when I get hard on the gas. Valve gap is good, and the timing chain isn't loose.
I'm not a big fan of the rear tires either, they half-worn 26x9.50x10 vampires. To narrow and tall for a trike I think. Is there any common sizes I can find used that would be a better fit for the 10" rims? Maybe I'll just find a set of stock rims and put on a set of 22x11x8's.

Overall I don't think I did to bad. What do you all think?

and I can't forget the pics:

atc007
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Starter clutch one way is under the flywheel. The one you replaced should have tightened up your kicker. A bit of reality here :(. Once both of these are shot,the rest of things in there are not new anymore :(. DO NOT put your new reduction gears in without replacing the one way in the flywheel. You'll trash your new ones too. You more than likely have badly grooved cam followers/cam clacking in your top end. If she isn't smoking and has good compression,that's surprising. Good luck with her !

Gearheadtom
05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
After I replaced the bearing, the kicker worked better. Before I changed it, I couldn't even kick it at all. Same with trying to bump start it, it wouldn't catch at all, and it still won't catch good enough for a bump start now. I had the cover off for the starter gears, and reached in and the gear on the flywheel felt fine, it free-wheeled one way, and catches when I turn it in the direction the motor runs. Think it still might lock up while the motor is running and kill the gears?
It does smoke a bit cold, just valve seals I figure. Compression feels normal, but I never checked it with a gauge. Sometime I'll pull off the rocker cover and see how things look.
Thanks for the advice.

atc007
05-26-2013, 10:30 PM
If it locks one way . Yes, put the gears in and give her a try. If everything engages tight and no grinding,you're good. Was the one way for the clutch brand new or used? I thought it smoked lol.

Gearheadtom
05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
I think it was new. It was still in the original honda bag, and seemed like it was new, but the bag had been opened. I know a few people that have some clutch parts cheap, so I'll try that, and if I still have problems, I'll buy a for sure new bearing.

Larry T Moore
05-27-2013, 12:58 AM
the cam chain will feel tight on the front side...the slack is when its going back up the head...if it isnt the valves needing adjusting that noise is the cam chain beating itself off the side of the head going up to the cam

Gearheadtom
05-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Had the bike going for a bit today, then it went "fizzle". When I shut it off, the motor stopped with a loud clunk. Tried the kicker, and found the motor locked up. Though it jumped the timing chain and first, but found out the problem to be with the flywheel. I found where some of those stripped starter gear teeth went tho... (btw, I wasn't the one that took the gears out, and I didn't know if he had dealt with any metal fragments left behind, obviously he didn't).
So now I need a flywheel and stator. At least a flywheel, the stator has gouges on the faces of it, but it doesn't look like the winding's are broke. I'll test it for continuity before I put it together if I don't get another stator.

Gearheadtom
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM
I haven't found a flywheel and stator local yet, and the ebay prices are crazy. Does anyone on here have one that they'd sell? What bikes use the same ones anyway? I know big red, sx, trx250, but what about the 300's?

atc350xer
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I haven't found a flywheel and stator local yet, and the ebay prices are crazy. Does anyone on here have one that they'd sell? What bikes use the same ones anyway? I know big red, sx, trx250, but what about the 300's?I think I have what you need, $25+ shipping. Cheap enough? :) PM me if interested.

MojaveRider
05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
I have a flywheel and stator from an '85 250SX as well if atc350xer doesn't.

Gearheadtom
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Figure I should update this thread. I got my flywheel and stator, thanks to MojaveRider, and Tyler 54 (Thanks again!), and I got the bike running tonight. I'm happy to get the bike running again after it setting just about a month. Now the next thing to fix is the welded on rear hubs. The splines aren't stripped, but a previous owner decided to weld a washer onto the axle to hold the hubs on.