PDA

View Full Version : cvt question

philgipson
05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
for test purposes does the belt have to be on for the motor pulley to move in and out? `

barnett468
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
No, it will move without it.

NeverLift
05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
With the belt removed the clutch should open and close smoothly as you raise and lower the RPM slowly. If it moves rough there are issues with the weights, springs or bushings.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I have always been told it's not a good idea to run a sled engine to a high enough RPM to engage the clutch with the belt removed.

With no belt there, as soon as you hit engagement RPM, the primary clutch will slam closed quite quickly and violently without the belt in place. I have done it unintentionally myself with my sleds. It's anything but smooth with no belt installed.

The safest way to check if you are getting full shift out with both the primary and secondary clutches, remove the belt and make a dark wide mark on both clutches from the outside to the inner hub with a good permanent black marker. Install the belt and take it out for 1 full throttle run letting it go till it doesn't shift out any more. Then remove the belt and you will be able to see how far your clutches are shifting out by how much of the black marker is rubbed off the sheaves.

As far as checking for worn internals that will effect smoothness of operation, the best way is to disassemble both clutches and inspect for wear and cleanliness....

It may be different with an ATV CVT system, but I seriously doubt it....

philgipson
05-24-2013, 08:00 PM
thanks for all the good input guys,mine does not move at all.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-24-2013, 08:08 PM
thanks for all the good input guys,mine does not move at all.

Are you talking about trying to close the primary clutch closed position by hand with the belt removed or you can't get the machine to move under it's own power??

If you are saying you can't get it to move by hand, that is pretty normal. There is a fairly stiff spring inside the primary clutch that is pushing it to the open position. It's very unlikely you would be able to overcome that spring by hand.

If you are saying the machine won't move and the clutch won't engage with RPM, then it's time to pull the clutch and disassemble it for inspection. (it's likely you will need some specialized tools for this) It may just be as simple as a slightly seized clutch bushing that can be freed up and cleaned, or it may be time to rebuild the clutch...

Just be careful if you try to disassemble it yourself. Most sled clutches require special tools to disassemble and I would bet your ATV clutch does too. You will likely regret it if you attempt it without tools.

briano
05-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I would not run it without a belt. I have had a primary clutch blow apart doing it, the garage door was open and chunks of the clutch went through the insulated garage door and through the ceiling of the garage. Couldn't imagine what that would do to flesh.

philgipson
05-24-2013, 09:14 PM
ill post a picture of this clutch in the am.its on a honda gx390 that i am running sitting in the floor and its probably old and has been sitting.