PDA

View Full Version : Bring BACK atc production in 2013 ??!!??!!

ThomNY
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
hey guys, been awhile since I was on here. joined here when I was working on my old tecate3 and now that I have a 200e big red I find myself back at 3ww a lot again. I just love riding these things, its like a bike and quad combined and just alotta fun..

ANYWAYS~ I have read that in 1987 that theyput a ban on 3 wheelers, HOWEVER the ban was only in effect for either 20 or 25 years (I cant remember which one it was) So either way we are past the ban now where companies could start production again, right? I was thinking if maybe we got a bunch of us to write letters the the big 4 perhaps they would research andsee if the business is there. I imagine it would be as everyone knows how 3 wheeler sales were. I KNOW I would be in line for a 400ex atc and/or something semi-sporty. Just wanted to get some input see if we should all get together and try to organize something or if its just not in the relm of possibilities. Good to be back here n on a trike, lemme tell ya!!! :)

dougspcs
05-18-2013, 02:16 PM
The ban was 15 years..but then the problem isn't if there is a market for them. The problem is the ignorance never went away..I know everyone in hear has run into someone on a quad on a trail and heard them say. 'Hey I remember those..but they're dangerous aren't they..I thought they were illegal'.

It's the cost to tool up for a manufacturer to build then have them banned all over again because of public outcry. I doubt they would even get to the ATV dealers before they were shut down!!

The newer tech and more powerful engines that would go into a modern trike would make it an even more efficient killer of inexperienced riders than the ones we own now..

I love the idea, but I can tell you this..I'd put some of my hard earned money on there never being a commercially built trike ever again.

My suggestion is..collect them, own them, care for them and enjoy them because what we have now is all there will ever be!

Yamaha3wheeler
05-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I never see it happening again. Too much of a risk with money and potential lawsuits. Especially since they've already been banned. The " I told you they were dangerous", attitudes will surely come back and bite them once people get hurt. They went through hell in the 80's with the government. Why open themselves up to that again when they are doing fine selling 4 wheelers and motorcycles.

kb0nly
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I think a small company should produce a custom line of them, that would be neat. But making money on them would be hard, the guys that are into trikes have them or would just assume buy a used Honda then go out and spend $2-4k on a new custom one.

Big Mike
05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
ummm tpc and tionesta trikes are already doing this.

yamaha225dr
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
ummm tpc and tionesta trikes are already doing this.

I was just about to post this! ATC's were never banned, the manufacturers just agreed to cease production.

ebaccm26
05-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure why you would want the "big 4" to start making 3 wheelers again. The thing that draws me to 3 wheelers is the history, they would not be nearly as fun to me without the hunting for and fixing/restoring part of the process. And if you really want one that is more modern there is already several people who do this and they do it well.

blue27
05-18-2013, 05:22 PM
It was 10yrs, there is to much of an insurance issue now. I believe when the kid lead free laws went into effect the ban of three wheelers was also added, atleast any imports since the chinese were sending pitbikes converted to trikes with no rear fenders. Also uped the safety of youth ATVS. There are tons of threads on this.

http://azstarnet.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/congress-sends-bush-bill-banning-lead-in-toys/article_dfa6510e-671e-5736-b895-7c1db1307507.html

christph
05-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Here is a bit of "what if" history. Even without the lawsuits and completely biased media coverage, 3 wheelers probably would have been phased out by the manufacturers in favor of quads. I'm thinking they would have lasted until 1989 or thereabouts.

JasonB
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Some people like their cucumbers pickled!

muthey
05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Also they would have to do a intense study on stability issues, as that was one of the key elements to the production ban, There is someone on here who has all the paperwork related to the ban, and had a very large post about it, can't remember who right now but I remember reading it.

ONEBAD350X
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
The first thing every person says to me is arent those things dangerous, My reply is well motorcycles must be really dangerous because the only have 2 wheels..

RoscoW
05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Here is a bit of "what if" history. Even without the lawsuits and completely biased media coverage, 3 wheelers probably would have been phased out by the manufacturers in favor of quads. I'm thinking they would have lasted until 1989 or thereabouts.

On the nail, we could still buy new 83-84 R's in 86 there was such a stock pile of them not selling here. The TRX was out as well as the Quadracer, and Banshee, Almost overnight three wheeler racing died and everyone moved into quads. The average joe and new rider could ride a quad faster (much less forgiving on inexperience) and thats what sold. I also agree, sport trikes would have died out in a couple more years due to lack of sales.

TecateDan
05-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Just spend the 2-4 grand and build what ever modern trike u want. I wanted a 500 tecate so I built one. Seen guys cut up banshee's (Trish) heard of some 300 ex conversions and got a buddy who is going to build a 400ex trike after he wraps up his 500 missle kit. Good welder and some initive and u can have anything u want. Me I'm looking for a 700 maico motor next....

Here's my 500 tecate they should have made
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb468/danielvpope/null_zps51c46d4c.jpg

falloutboy
05-19-2013, 03:32 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/5269/lukedukefacepalm.jpg

I agree with what others are saying. I think it was said in the recent SOCAL Trike MX news spot also. Technology doesn't really go backwards. Adding a forth wheel was just a progression of the technology. The general public (the sheeple) still have it in their minds that 3 wheelers are 'dangerous machines'.

Also there is NO WAY the big ATV makers would be shelling out the dough for such a risk. Heck, Honda didn't even make the TRX450R for what, 2 or 3 years? They were selling off 2009 overstock, from what I understand. People just weren't buying new ATV's with the way the economy was/is.

my $0.02

tri again
05-19-2013, 03:51 AM
It was 10yrs, there is to much of an insurance issue now. I believe when the kid lead free laws went into effect the ban of three wheelers was also added, atleast any imports since the chinese were sending pitbikes converted to trikes with no rear fenders. Also uped the safety of youth ATVS. There are tons of threads on this.

http://azstarnet.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/congress-sends-bush-bill-banning-lead-in-toys/article_dfa6510e-671e-5736-b895-7c1db1307507.html

Super interesting that they can write a bill about something EVERYone wants
like clean drinking water and then, on the last page,
slip in a line that bans yo yo's or something equally inane.
All perfectly legal, and whomever votes on this stuff, regularly admit they ddn't have time to read it.

ONEBAD350X
05-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Just spend the 2-4 grand and build what ever modern trike u want. I wanted a 500 tecate so I built one. Seen guys cut up banshee's (Trish) heard of some 300 ex conversions and got a buddy who is going to build a 400ex trike after he wraps up his 500 missle kit. Good welder and some initive and u can have anything u want. Me I'm looking for a 700 maico motor next....

Here's my 500 tecate they should have made
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb468/danielvpope/null_zps51c46d4c.jpg

Very nice work! Looks nice!

slashfan7964
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
I always get the "aren't they illegal?" thing from people all the time. In fact just Friday I got that from someone. The ban was effect for 10 years and the makers had to consent, though the were not required from what I've read. It was a mutual agreement to stop production. Anyways there is still a lot of ignorance out there. A lot of my friends say they hate them, that they have folded them in half etc. I think it's because they don't know how to get their butt off the seat and learn how to ride them....you don't ride them like a normal ATV. When I tell people I want to restore classic three wheelers they are always responding with why would you want a three wheeler? Get a four wheeler. Because 4 wheels is like riding on training wheels!!!

Personally I would love to see a modernized 200X. I'd probably die.

dougspcs
05-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Here is Canada the ban on sales and importing was 15 years..

Licensing and insurance are now no problem, though you do have to search a bit to find an insurance company willing..

oldskool83
05-19-2013, 11:18 AM
make your own, or if you need help. email HRE.

www.hreatv.com

He can make anything you want at a price $

ThomNY
05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
IDK I guess its just me then... I would love to buy a brand new 250 big red, or some sort of half sport/half utility... I was reading a guy had a brand new still in the crate 250r ATC on ebay that bided up to 44,000$ but never met the reserve. That's why I feel if "big 4" were in there producing them again they would be competitively priced. Im sure I could build one, if say I bought a 400ex and spent another couple grand on parts/labor and 1-200 man hours but the overall value to me or economically just wouldn't be there. Same with if I hired someone to build me one for 10 grand(im guessing the estimate)

-and yeah the history is what makes it wicked cool but at the same time any parts are fairly limited and are normally beat up parts anyways. I enjoy wrenching a bit but not in comparison to riding them.
-NIIICE work on that tecate 500. However me personally I would never want something more than a 400ex category atc unless I lived by the dunes but that thing is bad and anyone would be a proud owner of that!
-I believe there are something in the range of 5x's more lawsuits on side by sides(utv) than there ever were on atc's and they are still pumping them out.
-where i live in central NY(where winters and summers are both intense) I would love to find a decent atc at a decent price but it just don't happen. They are almost ALL either 1 of 3 things
1.) Beat to all H3LL
2.) Being disassembled and sold as individual parts because they are worth more that way
3.) Way overpriced, people are asking 2-3k and up for mildly abused atc's
-im always hoping for a barn find, figure that would be my best luck. I even thought about starting to focus flipping houses on places that have barns just in case theres an atc in there.

Yamaha3wheeler
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
The new in crate 250r during another round on ebay did sell for $30,000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDK I guess its just me then... I would love to buy a brand new 250 big red, or some sort of half sport/half utility... I was reading a guy had a brand new still in the crate 250r ATC on ebay that bided up to 44,000$ but never met the reserve. That's why I feel if "big 4" were in there producing them again they would be competitively priced. Im sure I could build one, if say I bought a 400ex and spent another couple grand on parts/labor and 1-200 man hours but the overall value to me or economically just wouldn't be there. Same with if I hired someone to build me one for 10 grand(im guessing the estimate)

-and yeah the history is what makes it wicked cool but at the same time any parts are fairly limited and are normally beat up parts anyways. I enjoy wrenching a bit but not in comparison to riding them.
-NIIICE work on that tecate 500. However me personally I would never want something more than a 400ex category atc unless I lived by the dunes but that thing is bad and anyone would be a proud owner of that!
-I believe there are something in the range of 5x's more lawsuits on side by sides(utv) than there ever were on atc's and they are still pumping them out.
-where i live in central NY(where winters and summers are both intense) I would love to find a decent atc at a decent price but it just don't happen. They are almost ALL either 1 of 3 things
1.) Beat to all H3LL
2.) Being disassembled and sold as individual parts because they are worth more that way
3.) Way overpriced, people are asking 2-3k and up for mildly abused atc's
-im always hoping for a barn find, figure that would be my best luck. I even thought about starting to focus flipping houses on places that have barns just in case theres an atc in there.

christph
05-19-2013, 09:42 PM
A cherry 2nd generation 250r recently went for $9100 on ebay. I couldn't believe it, it went a lot higher than I thought. The final bid just depends on which people are looking at the time. Some nice machines go for less than you think and some go for more. At most I would think a nice 2nd generation R would go for 4 to 5 thousand.

hatc200x1
05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
I would love to have 3 wheelers made again, but i would settle for an unlimited new parts supply from the manufacturers. The number of 3 wheelers are getting lesser and lesser everyday as they are all being parted out

honda200x1987
05-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I have talked with a HONDA rep over the phone about 3 years ago, I asked if Honda would ever make 3 wheelers again and they said " That's a possibility but not in the immediate future". The ONLY way to buy a new HONDA ATC today is to have Mike Pilgram from Vintagemotorsports to build you one. He is the man when it come to restorations, he has built ATC's for HONDA Collection Hall in Japan http://vintagemotorsports.net/restorations.htm Speaking of,, wonder what Mike is building now??

yamaha225dr
05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
I would be happy with just having them all reproduce parts.

honda200x1987
05-19-2013, 11:46 PM
I totally agree and we are fortunate we have members making them for us. Wish we could convince them to bring back the OHTSU tires for the 350X/200X/250R. I would be happy if we could convince a tire company like Cheng Shin to repro the P/V 101 and 701 tires.
I would be happy with just having them all reproduce parts.

bkm
05-20-2013, 01:13 AM
I totally agree and we are fortunate we have members making them for us. Wish we could convince them to bring back the OHTSU tires for the 350X/200X/250R. I would be happy if we could convince a tire company like Cheng Shin to repro the P/V 101 and 701 tires.Agreed. I love the oem front tire and refuse to spend $400 + for a new one to ride on.

ThomNY
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
+1 for settling with them reproduction of their old products..

-"its a possibility but not in the immediate future" -very exciting!

for now I will just keep hoping and doing my part by fixing/riding/restoring and talking about them :D

Blown 331
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM

Thats 100% the way remember things as well.

Tas Wheeler
05-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Can't hurt to at least give it a go, the worst they could say is no. Imagine if the majority of the memebers on here sent a letter off, it would at least have to get some attention.

I like the sound of requesting a release of a 30 year anniversary edition since the ban or even since the pinnacle of the threewheeler in 86 which would make the release pretty soon, like around 2015 or 2016

Don't get me wrong I love my old wheelers but I do find sometimes getting jelous of my mates on thier new tight and tidy bikes or quads and then to top it off if they happen to break anything they can just drive to the nearest dealer and most of the time buy the part then and there. I dream of the day I could do that as I guess we all do.

At the end of the day vintage is always vintage and the original 80's three wheelers will always be collectable and have a special place in history no matter if they reproduced them again or not bring it on I say

Afrothunderkat
05-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda would be the last to jump back on trikes. Once they move on, they move on. Yamaha and zook still make smokers but thats about as far back as it goes.

The big 4 are making too much money off the modern thumpers to concern them selves with trikes. IF anything, Yamaha would be the first. They currently make 10 sport quads, 10 utility quads and 15 bikes.

honda200x1987
05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
I sent a letter to HONDA a few years ago asking if they would bring back the ATC ,reproduce parts and if they would bring back an anniversary TRX250R. Now as for a 30 year anniversary TRX250R , that would be the best bet. Bringing back the ATC probably will never happen but would it not hurt to send letters and ask since HONDA is stepping up to Discontinue all remaining ATC parts so we have nothing to lose IMO. I got a response from HONDA not long after I sent a letter but they basically just provided a number for me to call. The Honda rep that I spoke with said they would only reproduce a part if it was going to be made for a new model year ATV. As we know there are several parts on the new current quads today that are the OEM parts for the 200X/350X/250R but they are small like hand grips, hand brake lever boot, etc. I asked if they would make an ATC ever again and they said that's a probability but not in the immediate future. I don't think it will ever happen but it would be a dream come true for me . I sent a letter to HONDA and I didn't expect anything from it but if everyone who reads this sent a letter as I did asking for everything from ATC's to a new retro TRX250R then maybe just maybe something can come from it, if you are a true enthusiast you would take just a few minutes of your time and mail one out. One other thing I wish everyone with a 350X/250R/200X should do is contact Cheng Shin and other tire companies to repro the 23x8x11 OHTSU P/V 101/DUNLOP KT576 and the OHSTU 701/DUNLOP KT577A. These tires would be a great addition to reproduction parts if we could convince someone to do it..
Can't hurt to at least give it a go, the worst they could say is no. Imagine if the majority of the memebers on here sent a letter off, it would at least have to get some attention.

I like the sound of requesting a release of a 30 year anniversary edition since the ban or even since the pinnacle of the threewheeler in 86 which would make the release pretty soon, like around 2015 or 2016

Don't get me wrong I love my old wheelers but I do find sometimes getting jelous of my mates on thier new tight and tidy bikes or quads and then to top it off if they happen to break anything they can just drive to the nearest dealer and most of the time buy the part then and there. I dream of the day I could do that as I guess we all do.

At the end of the day vintage is always vintage and the original 80's three wheelers will always be collectable and have a special place in history no matter if they reproduced them again or not bring it on I say

wonderboy
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
ATC's were never banned, the manufacturers just agreed to cease production.

The Consent Decree is what you are speaking of, and that was the arangement back in the day...

Fastforward to 2008: there was a bill passed that was primarily concerned with lead paint in childrens toys. It also included a specific ban on 3 wheelers:

"‘(c) Requirements for 3-Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicles- Until a mandatory consumer product safety standard applicable to 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles promulgated pursuant to this Act is in effect, new 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be imported into or distributed in commerce in the United States. "

Here is the link to the bill if you really want to subject yourself to this reading:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr4040/text

For one of the big manufacturers to get back into the game, they'd have to work on the "Safety Standard" referred to in the bill. Who knows what amount of effort that would take...

elevatorman
05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
WoW,that trike is awesome,i want one..

honda atc guy
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
The Consent Decree is what you are speaking of, and that was the arangement back in the day...

Fastforward to 2008: there was a bill passed that was primarily concerned with lead paint in childrens toys. It also included a specific ban on 3 wheelers:

"‘(c) Requirements for 3-Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicles- Until a mandatory consumer product safety standard applicable to 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles promulgated pursuant to this Act is in effect, new 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be imported into or distributed in commerce in the United States. "

Here is the link to the bill if you really want to subject yourself to this reading:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr4040/text

For one of the big manufacturers to get back into the game, they'd have to work on the "Safety Standard" referred to in the bill. Who knows what amount of effort that would take...

I was thinking manufacturers could produce limited production runs of 3 wheelers. Not a lot of left overs and should be able to move small runs. Looks like that is not a possibility now. I didn't know there was an actual "ban".

hatc200x1
05-25-2013, 09:45 AM
You know, ive been thinking about it over the last few days and i think that if we did send a letter to ALL the big 4. Something might happen. ATLEAST get them to know that there is people wanting them, who is in?

manbearpig
05-25-2013, 10:46 AM
honestly, why?

do any of you want to pay $7-$10k for a machine off the showroom floor simply for the novelty of saying you bought a new trike? most of us own wheelers because we love them, but also for the simple fact that they're CHEAP to come up on, and CHEAP to repair. can you imagine if HONDA did release a modern hi performance 3 wheeler? not only would it look like its made out of tupperware leftovers, it'll be so detuned that you'll have to drop a few more $k to get it up to par with somethin TPC or Tionesta can build you right out of the box!

why not Tionesta trikes or TPC? they're truly on the cutting edge of whats possible. trust me, honda has them on their radar. IF a trike rolls off the showroom floor in the next decade, you better believe that TPC and Tionesta will be consulted on their designs... just like 40 years ago when honda plucked a couple guys out of Chula Vista and El Cajon because they admired the things they did to improve on honda's design. those guys are the foundation for everything we talk about today. honda's watching...

hatc200x1
05-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I guess my worst fear is running out of 3 wheelers and parts, eventually we WILL run out of parts, and at that point, what do we do? We are already running out of parts for a lot of things on trikes.

manbearpig
05-25-2013, 01:03 PM
There will always be parts, trust me