PDA

View Full Version : 250es and a chinese CDI

Trike_crazy
05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I bought an 85 250es Big red a few months ago from a guy that had been through a flood and then sat for about 5-6 years. From what I was told and could see it had not been under water just sitting in and floating for about a month till the water receided. The guy told me that they couldnt get any spark and that they had tried to bypass the kill switch and the key switch to eliminate them as the cause for no spark with no luck. So I paid 100 bucks for it and brought it home with the intentions of selling it for parts to a buddy of mine. Well after a few conversations he didnt want it and i was stuck with it. After looking it over a few times i decided to fix it and keep it so i began dianosing it ( swapping CDI's, stators, ohming everything in the process and grounding the neutral safety wire to the cdi in hopes of getting spark) and I finally narrowed it down to the cdi( test one was bad too) and began looking for another one and found that they where pretty pricey considing i still wasnt sure if that was the problem. So after some thinking and reseach I ordered a chinese CDI box for 10.88 online. Once i got the CDI I removed the pins from the connector and using wiring diagrams on here and elsewhere for the CDI I plugged the pins from the CDI into the harness connector. After double checking everthing was hooked up right i kicked it over and it fired on the 2nd kick.169520 this is the CDI box i used because is has the pigtail and it has no rev limiter which may be good or bad. But i hope this helps someone else

barnett468
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Where did you buy it?

Trike_crazy
05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Amazon.com 6 pin racing CDI

250rRoostmaster
05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Pretty cool info!

Trike_crazy
05-15-2013, 01:51 PM
That cdi is also about the size of the original cdi box and it fit in the original rubber cdi holder. I haven't had a chance to ride it with the cdi on it bc i still need to buy all new cable from it being in that flood but I'll try to post some pics of the cdi and it mounted on the 3 wheeler when i get home

kb0nly
05-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Good job! I also have been replacing them with some cheap chinese CDI's and posted links to all the parts on here a few times, about $5-8 depending on source for the CDI. Did you make up a matching plug to connect it permanently yet? You can get those 4x2 CDI connectors pretty easy as they are used on a lot of the newer bikes and quads. I call them a 4x2 because they have 4 wires in one plug and 2 in the other.

What i have been doing is using a standard 5 wire CDI, has the 6 contact rectangular plug but only 5 positions used, and a new rectangular plug and leaving out the neutral/reverse wire depending on model, 200 or 250 and they work great. I did a 250 with a similar CDI as yours, but i chopped the plug off the pigtail and replaced it with a nice automotive weatherpack style connector and then did the same on the trikes harness.

Good job, look forward to hearing how your project goes. Make sure you drain and flush out the rear end in case water got in there also.

Trike_crazy
05-17-2013, 07:14 AM
I haven't made it as far as getting a connector and hooking it up for good. Some how i can't bring myself to cut the harness knowing someone out there prolly needs one lol. But i will figure something out i guess. Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I will keep ya'll updated updated on the progress. Im ordering all the cables today and maybe a carb since mine is pretty corroded and the throttle shaft is seized.

kb0nly
05-17-2013, 02:22 PM
I know your worried about the harness but think of it this way... The CDI with the round connector is NLA, not made any more, there is a few floating around new out there but they are done for. Later than 85 models had the 4x2 CDI, so your just updating it to current technology... LOL

There is a guy on eBay that has the 4 and 2 pin connectors that mate to that CDI, if you can't find them i will post up some links later when i get home. You could then pop the contacts out of the round plug, clip the contacts off at the very end of the wire and then install the crimps for the new connector and keep the max amount of wire left, the crimps for the factory round connector are readily available if you ever wanted to use that plug on something else as they are the same as the rectangular CDI plug on some other model years before 84. The new 4x2 connectors are a completely different crimp on contact, so unfortunately you cannot reuse the existing contacts like if you just changed from the round plug to the rectangular plug.

I will eventually go from the rectangular 6 contact plug to the 4x2 on my 200ES as well, my 84 200ES has the same round CDI connector as the 250ES 85 and earlier, i just went to the rectangular connector because the cheap CDI's were plentiful in that connector. But now the 4x2 CDI's are coming down in price, i can even buy them locally for about $15.

I did just think of another option for you... You could take the old stock CDI and carefully dissect it and remove the connector from it, then use that to modify your new CDI, soldering the wires to the pins of the connector, seal it up with some heatshrink tubing on each wire and then a larger piece to sleeve it all and make it an inline connector. Then the trikes harness doesn't get changed.

Trike_crazy
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks kb, im gonna break down and by the connector as soon as i get this closer to completion. I just ordered all new cables, rear brake springs and a spring loaded shifter that came in the mail yesterday. Just have a few small parts and the airbox left to get after my drill pay hits the bank and it will run AND stop which is always a plus lol. I've been thinking about making some polaris 250r/es style floorboards for this as i like the idea of full foot contact with them and not having to worry about getting my foot smashed into things while i ride. Its just an idea but i have nothing but time, so why not ya know?

Dave8338
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
LOL... I put that EXACT same CDI on my trike project as the original was shot. In my case, it was a plug and play and I have better spark now, than the bike has ever had.

Not sure how long it will last but at the price, it was worth a shot.

kb0nly
05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
They are cheap chinese parts but they do work good! I keep a spare in the trunk in a ziplock baggie... Hey you never know where it might decide to die, but i got a spare so not a problem... LOL

Trike_crazy
05-23-2013, 09:16 AM
just received all my cables in the mail. Now i just have to get the carb and airbox and a few little pieces and i'll be set!169932 This is what i started with. Its pretty rusty but thats fine with me lol.

Trike_crazy
05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
So as luck would have it a buddy of mine came across an 85 fourtrax 250. He had plans to just ride it as is but apon closer inspection the engine cases were broken and filled jb weld and the frame had been broken and rewelded and broke again. So with a bit of talking i ended up with the four wheeler as parts for my Big red. We went ahead and put the carb and and the good OEM rear tire on the 3 wheeler some got it road worthy enough to ride. Get this, it fired up on the FIRST KICK!! It runs great for sitting as long as it has. The chinese CDI performed awesome! So now just a few more pieces and i'll call this project a wrap for now. I have another project on the horizion and have to put my funds to it. Ill post pics of the Big red when i make it home tonight

kb0nly
05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Awesome!! Nothing like hearing a project fire off the first time. Good old Honda's!

barnett468
05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Hello Trike_crazy

I ordered a chinese CDI box for 10.88 online.

Where did you buy it?

Still wondering exactly what link you bought it from.

Dave8338
05-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Hello Trike_crazy

Still wondering exactly what link you bought it from.

Here is where I got mine. Put the combo on and honestly, it starts on the first pull without choke and the 185 mill they are hooked to, is TOTALLY worn out and will be scrapped sans the cases and trans parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261124160018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Trike_crazy
05-28-2013, 06:29 PM
170353 here she is lol

Trike_crazy
05-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Barnett i got the CDI at Amazon.com

Trike_crazy
05-28-2013, 06:37 PM
I still need the part that the headlight cord coils up into, side panels and a rear brake adjuster piece but it's rideable now.

kb0nly
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Its a rider in progress, thats what i call them at that stage.... LOL!! As long as your having fun with it who cares, get a part here and there as you can. I am still working on my 200ES piece by piece years later... LOL

Trike_crazy
05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Lol, Just about everything i own is a work in progress. Except for my wife's 07 Dodge Caliber and my grandparents 85 Ford Crown Vic that i got after my grandpa passed and my grandma went in the nursing home. Im leaving it as is.... to many memories. As kids me and my cousin (who might as well be my brother lol) we used to fight over who would sit on the fold down arm rest in the back seat when my grandpa would go to town. We didn't know any better. lol

Trike_crazy
02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Well its been a while since i posted this and i figured id update you guys. Everything as worked awesome thus far. With the igintion curve of the chinese CDI and no rev limiter the 250 has plenty of power to climb hills and pull just about whatever i want to pull. i have to watch though as i will rev to the moon lol. I have fixed the headlight too which didnt work when i got it (bulb was blown). I found out through this site after seeing some automotive style bulbs that looked like they would may fit would fit the 250, forgot the type though. I recommend this CDI mod to anyone who is having ignition problems.

danbur55
02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Did you find the box for your headlight wires? If not let me know I got one on my part out

Trike_crazy
02-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Danbur55 thanks for the offer. I've gotten everything i need so far other then side panels. I found a reproduction set on ATCHEAVEN.COM for a good price compared to some originals. This isn't a restoration, i just want it to look complete. I'll post some pictures of what wires go where and all once I get home from drill.

Trike_crazy
05-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Well after 3 years of abuse, going up the devil's backbone at trikefest 2015 and 2016 and honestly lack of maintenance the rear diff let go. Luckily I had bought a 250 fourtrax for parts after I bought the big red and kept all of the parts. So I spent yesterday taking the 2 rear ends apart and getting everything ready to put the big red back together. I should have it buttoned up tonight if time allows. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/fed5338205b6c647ce8db60beb3f9799.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mendoAu
05-13-2017, 03:34 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Racing-CDI-5-Pin-for-Honda-50-70-90-110-125cc-Pit-Bike-XR-50-CRF-50-/282447844904?hash=item41c3341628

Trike_crazy
05-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Got the big red buttoned up last night. Just a few little maintenance items left to do and it will be ready for the Devils backbone!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170515/98c53acbeb0526812fdba4b8c3ba84b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk