PDA

View Full Version : 85 yamaha 225 dr. parts may be available

Gladiroth
05-09-2013, 03:03 AM
So browsing da craiglist i discovered a 85 yamaha 225 dr for 100 bucks. the guy says it just needs carb work and from the picture it looks mostly complete besides a seat. ill save my breath from asking the dumb question of is it worth 100 bucks
so point of thread is.
A). Can i get some input of these yamahas? my friend had a 86 dx back when i was younger but he destoryed that and growing up if it wasnt red it didnt leave the shed in terms of three wheelers so im clueless on yamahas.

B). in the event I dont get it running does anyone want parts. i will post what pictures i have of it tomorrow and i wont be picking it up until (hopefully) friday.

thanks guys

yamaha225dr
05-09-2013, 04:44 AM
I had an 85 DR and regret ever getting rid of it, I had it for seven years and never had any major problems, just a couple bearings. They will last a lifetime if maintained properly and it wouldn't be hard to part it out if you end up going that route.

dougspcs
05-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Great little machine to cut you teeth on..

Both getting experience with the mechanical and learning to ride.

But before you put a kings ransom into restoring check it over really well.

You could spend a grand in the blink of an eye fixing up a new trike when perhaps you might be able to find a decent one locally for $5-700 then use you $100 score for the odds and ends the good one needs.

Then when you're done, sell off your $100 machine to cover some costs..

Sadly these machines are worth more dead than alive but you could make that work for you!!

Gladiroth
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
OH i know all about restoring trikes.. i had a 86 200x that i restored and let me tell you when that thing got stolen form my yard I could have shot someone. I talked to the owner and apprently it just needs the main jet (yippee... i hate dealing with jets and crap lol) so i can completely justify $100 bucks for a possibly runnning 3 wheeler that just needs a seat lol. He also has a tri moto 125 for sale for $100 bucks that i might pick up next weekend when i get paid.

tblumer
05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I'd be interested in a yellow front fender in great shape and the carb.

Frankencelery
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
"It just needs the main jet". Uh huh. Most of the trikes I've bought "just needed" 1 part that always turns out to be 20 parts. But for the price, I'd take it for sure. In fact, if you want to sell it off for parts, I'd buy the exhaust from you if it's got no holes. You'd easily quadruple your money selling off the parts.

Gladiroth
05-10-2013, 02:28 PM
"It just needs the main jet". Uh huh. Most of the trikes I've bought "just needed" 1 part that always turns out to be 20 parts. But for the price, I'd take it for sure. In fact, if you want to sell it off for parts, I'd buy the exhaust from you if it's got no holes. You'd easily quadruple your money selling off the parts.

.... you win... lol got her home.. inspected her. she needs a little love lol i need to find a new thumb throttle for her... 169035169036169037169038169039169040169041169042 those are some of the pics i took.. im gonna take a few more tomrrow.. but i have some questions about hger.

where does the choke cable hook up because its just hanging there which im probably gonna have to replace because it looks broken.

will it run with no battery? like was the battery just primarly for starting it that its?

how in the heck does that damn damn airbox connect to the carb.. i couldnt get it to go over it for nothing.

thanks guys in advance

ColtonGG33
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM
The choke cable goes on the backish of the carb close to the mounts, yes it will run without a battery, never had one in mine. And as for the air box goes I'm not really sure, are you talking about the cap where u put the air filter in? Because that can be a pain in the butt to put on

ColtonGG33
05-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Oops I see what u mean about the air box, try bending the tube that goes it toward the carb and just try to force it on, that's the only thing I can think of

Gladiroth
05-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Oops I see what u mean about the air box, try bending the tube that goes it toward the carb and just try to force it on, that's the only thing I can think of

Yea i got it on. its kinda sad because i do this everyday at work (i work at polaris building side by sides) a lil rubbing alcohol and she wenton like a glove =) lol

So after that i tried started it and she fired but because of my shoddy throttle she revs way the hell up so i have to kill switch it right away. gonna monkey around tomorrow and see if i can get her to idle atleast then go form there. im curious to if i could steal a honda thumb throttle for now and just use that until i find one. i really wanna ride her =P

Yamaha3wheeler
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't sell it. I promise you'll regret it. Get her running and you'll see why I said this. Trust me.