PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z bog

90guy
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey guys just sitting here thinking... I took the z for basically its maiden cruise. I noticed I had a bog when is go from mid throttle to wide open. Carb had been gone through and cleaned. If i slowly go to wide open it goes if i tease it itll grab just cant go mid to full fast. Hust looking for ideas it is factory jetted for the 85z. I am going to put a new plug in tomarrow and try that. I also was thinking that I'm running rich as a break in tank of fuel. Thing idles and everything.
Thanks in advance!

El Camexican
05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
If everything else is in good order you should be able to clean that up with your needle and clip. Start by lowering the clip one notch (raising the needle) if it runs better go one more, if it runs worse go one up from where you started. Make sure the engine is at running temp when you do these tests and if it runs best at either extreme of the notches you have to make some other changes, but this first.

Also, you need to make sure you are using the right plug and that it is properly gapped, the air filter is clean, the silencer has packing and the head pipe is snug otherwise you are wasting your time.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
And I will add, you want to know the difference in sound between a lean bog and a rich bog.

If it's blubbery and sounds like its drowning and making an excessive amount of smoke along with the bog then it's rich.

It it is a smooth bog, almost like cutting the ignition briefly then it is a lean bog.

Pay attention to which you are experiencing and you should be able to fairly easily figure out which way to go with jetting adjustments. Just a matter of isolating which circuit to adjust after that...

90guy
05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks guy I will mess with the needle some to see what happens! Most defiantly a rich bog! Once she grabs it smokes like a stack at my power plant! Lol I'm excited to ride it thing is fun so far!

El Camexican
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I started you out with with a richer setting to be safe. If you decide to go leaner first you need to raise the clip to lower the needle and stop honking on it ASAP if it gets worse.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Are there any engine mods bolt-on or otherwise that you know of???

And keep in mind, if your engine was previously jetted to run for example 40:1 premix and you have it mixed richer for break-in say 20:1 your fuel/air mixture for combustion will actually be leaner. Oil in the fuel mix displaces fuel for combustion, so if you increase the amount of oil then you will lean your actual fuel/air mix for combustion...Unless you intend to run it at some of the leaner premix ratios some people do, I would just run the same premix ratio for break-in as you plan to run in it for the long term...

For break-in, if you want it to be a little richer, do it with the jetting.

I have switched to running Castor oil in my fuel at a 32:1 mix ratio based on the recommendation of quite a few reputable builders, other forum members along with other research I have done on my own.. (ESR, BDTM to name a couple)

There is some good technical write-ups readily available online if you look around a bit. I'm not going to write a novel on your thread about it. I suggest doing a little research, take in a wide variety of professional opinions and make the decision that you are comfortable with....

Sorry for getting a little bit off topic, I just noticed what you posted about having it rich for break-in and thought I would offer some advice and the reasoning behind it...

90guy
05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Ride red thanks for that info. I will never complain about new info that I haven't really learned about!

TimSr
05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Is this an 85 TriZ carburetor, or are you still trying to run 85 TriZ main and pilot jets in a VM34 carb to obtain "factory jetting"?

90guy
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I did some measuring and that carb was a 32 also. But I gave up on that carb. Picked up a factory 85 carb for it. It does have factory jetting.

90guy
05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Well Im now in a confused boat haha. I have a bunch of parts that it came with. And I have 3 plungers 2 short one long. Also have 3 needles in 3 diffrent sizes. Lol Now its just a game of playing with them.

El Camexican
05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Just saw a photo of your engine in another post. What's going on with your choke? Looks like it's pulled out and bent.:wondering

90guy
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I was messing around with the choke on the carb before I took the picture In deed it is pulled up there. And it is bent.

El Camexican
05-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I was messing around with the choke on the carb before I took the picture In deed it is pulled up there. And it is bent.

That needs to find its way to the trash can before you go on with your tune.

90guy
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Gotcha. The problem would be finding another carb at a fair price!

El Camexican
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Gotcha. The problem would be finding another carb at a fair price!

Not the carb, just the choke assy.

90guy
05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
That will be a challenge to find.

El Camexican
05-03-2013, 02:29 PM
That will be a challenge to find.

http://jetsrus.com/
(951) 468-5387

90guy
05-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Think I'm gong to put this vm32 back on it. And put the jetting it came with back on it. And see what happens.