PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x swingarm bolt stuck

hogmuffin
04-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Replacing my swingarm. I can't get the swingarm bolt to budge. I have the nut threaded on a few turns to keep from screwing up the threads. i've tried a dead blow, a brass hammer, and a 5 lb mini sledge. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

TheRealFatShady
04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Heat. And/or penetrating oil. Can also try 'unscrewing' the bolt head and have someone tap the loosely threaded nut while you turn it, if you can make it turn at all.

Howdy
04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Heat. And/or penetrating oil. Can also try 'unscrewing' the bolt head and have someone tap the loosely threaded nut while you turn it, if you can make it turn at all.
I bet you never worked on a 200x. The head of the bolt actually has a machined surface that holds the chain tensioner and also slips into frame. If you was to turn it you would have a damaged frame.

To remove these you will most likely need heat and luck. What happens is the sleeve in the swing arm gets rusted onto the bolt. I have had some success heating it up while the machine is on it's side and spraying with PB Blaster oil. I carefully tapped on the bolt ( I used a different nut and a brass hammer ). If it doesn't budge i sprayed it some more and then left it sit until it cooled. I then reheated, sprayed, beat. I did this for 2-3 days and it came out.
I have also had a couple that this didn't work and I had to cut the bolt on both sides of the swingarm. I then removed the swing arm and purchased a new bolt.
Good Luck!!
Howdy

hogmuffin
04-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Wow looks like i have some work ahead of me. Kinda had a feeling it was headed there. Time to bust out the torch and the PB Blaster. Thanks!

TheRealFatShady
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I bet you never worked on a 200x. The head of the bolt actually has a machined surface that holds the chain tensioner and also slips into frame. If you was to turn it you would have a damaged frame.

To remove these you will most likely need heat and luck. What happens is the sleeve in the swing arm gets rusted onto the bolt. I have had some success heating it up while the machine is on it's side and spraying with PB Blaster oil. I carefully tapped on the bolt ( I used a different nut and a brass hammer ). If it doesn't budge i sprayed it some more and then left it sit until it cooled. I then reheated, sprayed, beat. I did this for 2-3 days and it came out.
I have also had a couple that this didn't work and I had to cut the bolt on both sides of the swingarm. I then removed the swing arm and purchased a new bolt.
Good Luck!!
Howdy

Ah, I was mistaken. Haven't worked on one in awhile, was thinking of the xr200/500 and 350x, those were the most recent I've done.
And I also had to soak mine for a couple of days. Pretty much same process as you described. Wasn't pleasant.

hatc200x1
04-30-2013, 11:18 PM
I put mine on its side, Endless heat, Tons of pb blaster, get out the 13lb post maul and drive that sucker to hell. Thats if you of course dont care if you have to buy a new one.

barnett468
04-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello

I can only suggest you use kroil. Enter it in the search window at the top right of the page. I never used it but anyone that has swears by it.

I personally would not heat it, the reason is that it takes a lot of heat at the interface of the bolt and bearing/bushing it is stuck to. By the time you get that much heat to that area you would have had to heat the outside of the swing arm so much that it will be cherry red, not good.

rdlsz24
05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Very common problem. I had to take the Sawzall to it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/94208-200X-Swingarm-Bolt!!!!!!-Ever-take-one-out!!?

Rob

Kintore
05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Yup, heat it and beat it!

Did that to my 250r for a week, and nothing.

had to cut it out. Sometimes it works, other times you need to cut. All a big crap shoot, I say if its not coming out in a couple days of heating and beating, she aint coming out!

oldskool83
05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
To prevent this use delrin swingarm bushing going forward. Most people wont ever service a machine so this will help.

JasonB
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
been there done that. I tried everything on my 86 250r including an air hammer and soaking it for days with pb blaster. ended up using a sawzall to get it out. cut in a few places and just bought a new bolt. On my 84 250R I had the same issue with the swinger bolt: ended up using a 20 ton press and stuck the entire frame in the jig to mash it out. sucked becuase we couldnt start building the motor on that bike since the swinger bolt goes through the motor lol

shortline10
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Drill a hole in the center of the swinger pivot area and fill it with penetrating fluid , this will assure fluid gets to the bearing . install a zerk fitting in the hole later for maintenance .

Dave8338
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Good Luck!!
Howdy

It was for this very reason, I had a bolt machined for me and two of the adjusting collars made. Just didn't want to have to deal with this situation at some point.

Good luck on your bolt and short of what has already been mentioned, there is little else that can be done.

blue27
05-01-2013, 09:27 PM
heat, and I have put a 200X in a press also, that got it out. It was a small shop press but we took the top off and slide the frame down over the frame of the press and bolted it back together.

hogmuffin
05-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Update: finally got it out after 3 days of soaking it with PB blaster, no torch needed.

Howdy
05-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Update: finally got it out after 3 days of soaking it with PB blaster, no torch needed.
Great to hear!!!

barnett468
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Hello Hogmuffin

Good to hear, your swing arm and engine cases thank you.