PDA

View Full Version : So how hard is it to replace the rings on a 350x?

BiGDawG
04-28-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm looking at a 86 350x on craigslist and he say's it smokes a bit and the rings could be replaced, was thinking about trading my tri-z for it but was wonding how hard it is to replace the rings and if it would be worth the trade? i've always liked the 350x's the tri-z is nice but i'm just not a 2 stroke guy

Flossyb20
04-29-2013, 12:17 AM
It requires pulling the engine, taking down the top end, honing it, and putting it all back together. That is assuming it won't need to be bored, if that's the case then you'll need a new piston and maching work. You'll also need a new top-end gasket set either way you go.

BiGDawG
04-29-2013, 12:57 AM
hmm so it's not gonna be cheap then.. he said it smoke but not bad has extra plastics rims tires my thing is i would enjoy the x more then the z cause i like to just ride and enjoy the surrounds with the z its like full throttle or nothing lol and just eats so much gas with my 200x i could fill it and ride for a good 4 days with out worrying about gas so i'm hoping the 350 would be the same, with the z its every ride it needs gas lol wish the guy was closer its a 50 min drive there then 50 min drive back so basically 2 hrs so i can't just go check it out that's a lot of time and gas if i end up not wanting it.

TheRealFatShady
04-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Another thing to note is that if you pull the the top end off to change the rings, you should also do the valve seals. If you do that, you might as well blast or otherwise clean the head, and the exhaust studs are likely to break!!! Keep that in mind, also.

Personally I'd prefer the 350x as it's a four stroke and good all around. You can find top end gasket sets on eBay for $30 or maybe even less, rings anywhere from 30-50 I'd think. Not sure what piston kits are currently going for.

BiGDawG
04-29-2013, 01:25 AM
think the piston kit is 130, wondering how bad it smokes cause i'm not currently working and only have maybe enough money to put in the gas tank to go check it out / trade

jb2wheels
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Keep the Z. If your Tri-Z is nice, you're getting the short end of the deal getting a smoking 350X in trade.

BiGDawG
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
the z just needs the carb cleaned and the plastics are not in the best shape.. the x comes with 2 sets extra rear tires 1 set on rims, front tire on rim rear plastics cobra pipe handle bars and he say's it only smokes a lil bit, so if that's the case would i be able to ride it for awhile?

jb2wheels
04-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Probably ride it forever - just keep an eye on the oil level.

My 85 smoked really bad - worse then my 2-strokes. People did not like riding behind it but it ran great and would haul my rather large backside up any hill or dune without issue.

I swapped the 86 engine into it and tore the "85" down (it's actually an 86 engine as well). Found a Wiseco hi-comp piston in it. It's not back together yet. I have all the parts.
I need to have the cylinder honed, pull the valves out for a lap and fresh seals, then button it up. It will go into the 86 350X when done.
I've been distracted by other things - mostly getting the 70s together for Rampage this week.

BiGDawG
04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
i'm having a hard time with this 1 i love the z but hate that its a 2 stroke, i've always wanted a 350x but i just don't have the money to put into it, as it is i'm not working cause the trans in my truck is acting up and i don't have the cash to fix it lol, i'm leaning towards the x as i do like to cruise the trails and the z just seems like it don't want to cruise as i even let off the throttle it start acting up could just be the carb though.

jdm97ek4
04-29-2013, 03:59 PM
if your re ringing it get new valves and get a valve job while its apart i got pep valves for 50 on ebay for the whole set of 4 and hav 25 into new seats cut and installation with new valve seals

rings were 45.00 oem honda bore and piston was fine i just honed it before installation

atc007
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
A smoking 4 cycle will 9 times out of 10 need bored,and next size over piston kit along with a good valve job. Then obviously a gasket set. Honing and ringing a thrashed piston is NOT advisable. They have micro cracks,usually in the intake skirt,and will grenade the entire engine when pushed. You're looking at $200 - $275 + if you do all the work but the machining yourself. Easily $600+ if you take it to a shop.

BiGDawG
04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
yea i ended up keeping the z, i mean its not a bad 350x but there's oil everywhere coming from the exhaust and you could feel a lack of power, it did start on the second kick but it smoked so bad and there was no oil in it and something with the front end was whacked it wobbled as you rode shifted threw all the gears though lol

jdm97ek4
04-30-2013, 01:52 PM
well if you do get the 350x your gonna have some $ into it

i have a grand easy into my full resto just dont skimp on parts and if the motor is apart hone it check ring gap if its too big bore it out get valve job done if head is off those valves burn out on exhaust side