PDA

View Full Version : 250R in the sand, what do you think?

Stretch
02-23-2004, 01:33 AM
After I'm done with my rebuild this week, I'm gonna head to the sand dunes this weekend. I've never been before. What can I expect from my '85 250R? From what I hear, this thing should be a hill-climbin'-machine. I guess some paddles would be nice, but I'm not ready to really start sinkin' the cash into this thing yet. Aftermarket swingarm and pretty much stock everywhere else (as far as I know).

What do you guys think?

http://members.cox.net/stretch3/gas.jpg

compaqkoci
02-23-2004, 02:05 AM
its gonna kick serious Ass!!! :D my 81' R mobs like a raped ape in sand and i know that a 85' has alot bigger balls than a 81' 8)

350Xccelerator
02-23-2004, 02:07 AM
nice R, i think you need a new seat lol.

Stretch
02-23-2004, 02:22 AM
nice R, i think you need a new seat lol.

Aahahhahha :D I want a new seat!!! I took that pic yesterday less than an hour after we bought it. Maybe I'll invest in some duct tape... :D

mywifeknowseverything
02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Nice R!!! Where do you live and what dunes are you going to??? Is this your first 3 wheeler??

motoman1012002
02-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah where do you live it should be pretty nice in the sand yeah is this your first 3 wheeler where do you live how much did you pay for it

krizo88
02-23-2004, 11:29 AM
swinger looks stock to me

Stretch
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
This is my first 3-wheeler. I've had two sportbikes (street) and one 4-wheeler before (300ex). Both of my sportbikes were literbikes; a Honda 929RR and a Yamaha FZ1. This 250R isn't as fast, but it's 10 times more scary, for sure. I've never had so much fun in the dirt.

We're thinking of taking it to the sand dunes that are east of Roswell, NM. I've heard tons of stories about them before, and I can't wait to go. The only thing that worries me is the rear tires, I wish they were paddles!

A friend and I picked this thing up for $500 from some guy that was selling it out of his front yard. Money well spent, I think!

krizo88 - You're right. I was looking around some more and found out it is a stock swingarm. Good eye.

krizo88
02-23-2004, 03:54 PM
500 bucks, good find, nice machine!

Red Rider
02-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Stretch, you're right about the paddle tires. They would be nice to have, but you'll have absolutely no problem with the performance of the knobby tires that are currently on your bike. Those tires won't push the bike up the hill as well as paddles, but you'll have an absolute blast whipin' the azz end around while sliding.

Lately, about the only riding I do is at the sand dunes, and while it's nice running my paddles, I'll often switch to my low profile knobbies for the last few hours of riding, just to satisfy my urge to whip the bike around some. Don't get me wrong, you can still slide with paddles, but it's a little more difficult when the bike wants to wheelie everytime you punch it.

Yardbird
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Stretch, you're right about the paddle tires. They would be nice to have, but you'll have absolutely no problem with the performance of the knobby tires that are currently on your bike. Those tires won't push the bike up the hill as well as paddles, but you'll have an absolute blast whipin' the azz end around while sliding.

Lately, about the only riding I do is at the sand dunes, and while it's nice running my paddles, I'll often switch to my low profile knobbies for the last few hours of riding, just to satisfy my urge to whip the bike around some. Don't get me wrong, you can still slide with paddles, but it's a little more difficult when the bike wants to wheelie everytime you punch it.

I agree about the knobbies. Shouldn't be a problem and you can slide better to boot. There won't be a dune you can't climb with the 250R even with knobbies. Oh yeah......make sure you get colored duct tape haha.

thefox
02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Who needs duct tape? Just sit on it to cover it up, remember you are suposed to stay on the trike when riding. ;)

Stretch
02-23-2004, 08:53 PM
SWEET!!! I can't wait! We're supposed to have up to 6" of snow tomorrow morning, maybe I'll be up and running in time.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
500 bux is an awesome deal fro almost anything that runs....great find on that one...can barely get a 85 R not running for 500 bux... ;)

Stretch
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Lemme tell ya...I've been throwing tools around the garage for the past 30 minutes. Luckily, the previous owner has agreed to chip in $100 for parts. I found a piston, cylinder and top-end gaskets for $200. Now if I could just split this darn case to clean out the pieces...

smokinp
02-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Nice find,you will do great in the sand.