PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a leaking Honda petcock .

LonesomeTriZ
04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I just tried to fire my 84 Honda 110 and gas poured out of the petcock. I thought it was the flattened O ring between the petcock and the bowl. After I replaced it I noticed the fuel was coming out of the petcock itself. I found them on Evilbay but I would prefer to just repair the one I have if possible. I have a couple of ideas to correct this issue but before I tare this thing up I was hoping for some ideas from someone who has dealt with this before. Because it is riveted together I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I've seen a couple guys drill the rivets out, clean and replace the decayed oring inside..

It not tough..me, I'd just buy a replacement.

I think there may even be a YouTube video or two on the subject.

LonesomeTriZ
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
That was one hting I wondered. I di dnot know if there was a single whole O ring or the three hole gasket I have seen in others. I will check youtube, I did not thin of that.

volfan537240
04-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Drill the rivets and replace the gasket and replace the rivets with ss screws. I just did this on the Clark tank I got from you. It was stopped up with crud.

LonesomeTriZ
04-19-2013, 07:26 AM
That is h plan. I just got the bit I need.

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
This started out really well. Then the drill got away from me and drilled down into the fuel path. Yep, that one is junk now. But wait, I just happen to have a small drawer full of carb parts. The other 110 carb I had was junk. So I kept some pieces off of it. I just happen to have another petcock. It was gunked up pretty bad though. So I ran a drill bit down the fuel paths and cleaned them out. I did the same for the other holes and used a wire wheel on my Dremel to clean it up. I drill the holes for the new screws a bit more carefully this time and it worked out great. The tap was doing more harm than good so I just used the screws to make the threads. Worked perfectly. The new screws hold the retaining plate nice and flat. Once I reassemble it I will install it on the carb and try to get some fuel to the carb again.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Lonesome00/DSC07945_zpsf9f77c3c.jpg

Big G
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I need to do the same to a couple of spare leaking petcock's I have. I haven't taken them apart yet. What's on the inside as far as gaskets? Are they O-rings? Did you replace them...any recommendations?

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
It has the four hole gasket. I had two to chose from so I used the better of the two.

JasonB
04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
so heres a question for you. My gf's 250sx has a leaky petcock and the bottom of the little bowl on it has a nut molded on it for an 8mm socket. I tightenned it up and the leak slowed down but I didnt loosen it to open the petcock. Do your petcocks have that on the bottoms, or do I have some generic one on there?

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Are you referring to the drain plug on the carb bowl? If not, if you are refferring ot that small bowl I have seen on som petcocks then it sound slike you need a new seal. Just match it up with a new O-ring.

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Oh, by the way, this 110 now runs great. It started up for the first time in who knows how many years. I had to switch around the fuel lines because I cut one too short. In the process I broke one of the brand new fuel filters. Once I fix that I can ride it for the first time.

volfan537240
04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Sweet man :w00t:

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
I still need plastic and other stuff. But things are looking better now that i know it runs.

Jason125m
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
so heres a question for you. My gf's 250sx has a leaky petcock and the bottom of the little bowl on it has a nut molded on it for an 8mm socket. I tightenned it up and the leak slowed down but I didnt loosen it to open the petcock. Do your petcocks have that on the bottoms, or do I have some generic one on there?

All es / sx petcocks have this little bowl. All you need to do is put a new o ring on there!

LonesomeTriZ
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM
What he said.