PDA

View Full Version : Free Rims.

jdparsons1
12-17-2003, 12:44 AM
No, Im not giving away any. Sorry.

I was at my friends and he gave me an old set of 10" aluminum rims he don't use any more and some 20" holeshots that have about 80% tread left on them (He races and prefers not to run anything under that)

Anyways. I just cleaned them up and they turned out pretty good but i can't seem to get them to even start to fill up with air. I've never put tires on without tubes before, is there something you have to do to get the beads to start to seat? I know the tires hold air because they were filled when he gave them to me.

Check these out..... This was after i got the first one polished up. Im going to use them as winter tires so i have better ground clearance then w/ my 18's.

http://parsons.dynu.com/200x/rims.jpg

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-17-2003, 12:53 AM
for putting getting new tires to seat on the bead heres what to do;

-rub some tar or grease on the outside of the bead (on the tire)
-remove valve stem (just the internals)
-get air compressor
-out air compressor on the valve and pound and move the tire to get it to seat
-inflate untill the entire bead on both sides is all the way on
-deflate
-re-inflate to wanted psi

350XXX
12-17-2003, 01:07 AM
you might have to pull up on the tire and turn it a little to get the top bead to get where you can get it to hold air enough so you can push in on the outside of the tire to make the beads POP on.

jeswinehart
12-17-2003, 04:59 AM
wow, those are polishing up real nice !

i have had to put a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and tighten it up as tight as i so it shoves the sidewalls out towards the edge of the rim. along with dish soaping the bead on the tire and massive amounts of air ,,,

john

ejc042
12-17-2003, 09:11 AM
you can use the last resort of sealing by fire. Remove valve stem core, lay tire and rim flat, spray some starting fluid in the tire and use a match to ignite the starting fluid. I have had to do this a couple of times.

Dan Tenn
12-17-2003, 09:54 AM
What John said.

I have used a ratchet strap numerous times, and it has always worked on every tire ive ever tried it on.

ATC crazy
12-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Just dont get your fingers caught in the bead.... ;)

TimSr
12-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Follow what John said. The starting fluid method works, but should be used as a last resort, as it can result in broken belts, bulges, and other problems youd see from over inflation. When that stuff explodes, you get a LOT of pressure form a brief moment.

Also, the soap as lube is important. NEVER use grease or oil. It will leave the bead permanently lubed. Your rim can rotate small amounts at a time within the tire, eventaully destroying the bead, and allowing it to pop off the rim easier when you dont want it to.

The other thing Ill add is that a very warm tire, just like rubber air intakes, is much easier to work with.

skippy
12-17-2003, 11:02 AM
that was my thoughts about the grease!! NEVER use that.. to hell w the beadlockers??? ouch..

jdparsons1
12-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Cool. thanks for all the good ideas. I probably will NOT try the starting fluid method though. :shock:

I am definitely going to bring the tires in overnight before i try it again. Its been getting down into the 20's and the tires are out in my garage.

jdparsons1
12-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Well. I give up. I spent an hour last night trying to get air to stay in these tires. they don't ever look like they are inflating at all. My friend told me to bring them over to his shop and he will help me.

Dirtcrasher
12-18-2003, 12:14 PM
[quote="jeswinehart"]wow, those are polishing up real nice !

i have had to put a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and tighten it up as tight as i so it shoves the sidewalls out towards the edge of the rim. along with dish soaping the bead on the tire and massive amounts of air ,,,

And another important reason for the strap is that if people overinflate the tire they can actually make one tire slightly larger than the other in diameter.

At least thats what the best mechanic I ever met told me when I asked him why he used straps.

jdparsons1
12-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Well. Finally got the tires on. Took em over to my friends shop and he used a little wd40 on one of them and it seated right up. The other one he used the starting fluid method which was interesting to watch. he sprayed it inside the tire and then put a little trail about 2 feet out from the side of the tire and lit it and backed up. So now I got them both filled with air and mounted them on the 200x. I like how it looks with the 10" Rims!!! I just took it for a ride down the street too and i thought it would be more tippy but it didn't seem to be so thats cool.

http://parsons.dynu.com/200x/dsc01249.jpg

jeswinehart
12-19-2003, 04:22 AM
fine looking trike you have there jdparsons1 !

john