PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on removing the brake drum? 1984 125M.

rusted
12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
I already removed the locknuts and seal. I've turned the cam and compressed the brake shoes, so it's not ridged in. It's just corroded on the splines. Any ideas?

http://home.comcast.net/~trailrig/brakedrum.jpg

sleestack
12-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Behind the lock nut there is a o-ring, the last two times I went to take the drum off the o-ring got caught in the spines and made the drum removal impossible.

Solution push the brake drum back in and fish the o-ring out. There spray some liquid wrench on the spines let is sit a few mintes and try it again.

ejc042
12-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Use the liquid wrench, if it still resists you can use a leather mallet and some more liquid wrench. The mallet will help brake up the rust and let liquid wrench get all the way in and do its job.

rusted
12-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Yeah I pulled the Oring out too. I can't find my liquid wrench, so I'm using WD-40. Not as good, I guess I'll have to find that Liquid Wrench, still stuck fast.

rusted
12-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Well, I beat on it, applied Liquid Wrench, beat on it some more....

I ended up taking out the entire rear assembly, and leaning it up and filling the small void btw the drum and axle with Liquid Wrench to set overnight. Everytime I go fill up the wood stove I'll squirt some more in and tap it. There's just no positive way to exert force on that w/o some type of long gear puller. Maybe I'll go to AutoZone and try theirs out.\

You know, if that doesn't work I'm putting the axle in my standup freezer overnight. Then I'm going to heat the drum up and see if that works. I know I shouldn't apply heat to the axle, it will ruin it, but I should be able to get away with it if the axle is good and cold and I heat the drum real fast.

Just jotting down notes to myself here at this point.... :D

Howdy
12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
What I do here is to beat the axle through the housing. I have a special heavy duty tool made that just fits over the hub splines. It seats on the part where the hub stops. A few good blows with the BFH and the drums come loose. I normally do this while it's in the machine. You will have to be sure the chain and chain cover is off though. Other wise it will bend things up.
Howdy