PDA

View Full Version : Are there any owners of a trike which is road legal?

dcbaaca25
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

Bit of a pointless thread in terms of helping others out, but wanted to know if there are many people which have trikes on the road?

I had the luxury of owning a number of trikes when my folks lived in Scotland where I could ride along the shore for miles when I use to visit. It was brilliant, vast sand areas, rivers, quick sand, small dunes, lots of exploration! There was even a pub I could pull up to on an off-road track, sit in the sun with a beer, then be on my way.

Those days are long gone as my folks moved back nearer to me (central England) last year, which pretty much meant there is no where to ride. This, along with no storage facilities, meant I had to sell my trikes.

So Ive resorted to buying a road legal Tri-Z which wasnt planned at all, I just accidently came across it. Didnt even know this would be possible due to them being (unfairly) controversal machines. So I am now a very happy bunny to say the least having not ridden a trike for 18 months prior to this. I use it around the quiet lanes in the countryside, which doesnt match up to being off-road, but hey ho at least I can be back on three wheels again. And having the freedom to go where I want is cool. The urge to suddenly veer off-road and give it a spanking across someone elses land is getting increasingly hard to resist :)

However, one of the things I have noticed is the amount of attention a trike gets when it is exposed to people who do not ordinarily see them, and probably havent seen one since the 1980s. And this is particulalry with men of the 35+, who seem to do a double take when you ride past almost as if they are seeing a flying Delorean, followed by a massive thumbs up :) Sure they are off-road machines, but if one was to be on the road, better it be a trike than a quad hey!

Anyhow, I just wondered what other peoples experiences have had been on the open road? I plan to take mine up to the Lake District when the weather is a bit more consistent and negotiate Hardknotts Pass and Wrynose Pass.

Thanks,

David

ps if anyone is from England in the UK and knows of any good places to ride off-road in the Midlands, please let me know as I wouldnt mind building up a collection again. Yamaha DX225 followed by a Big Red if possible!

ktmcrasher
04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
good work owning a road legal z, id love to get mine on the road. you need to find some smooth green lanes, most of the ones i go on are far to rocky for a tri z and it wouldn't be any fun getting bounced side to side

dcbaaca25
04-16-2013, 02:50 AM
where abouts in cumbria are you from? my folks place was only about 20-30 miles north of Carlisle

ktmcrasher
04-16-2013, 04:04 AM
im in barrow in furness - the gate way to the Lake District (or the arse hole of the Lake District)

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Here in Canada, and US also I believe with a couple states holding exception, three wheelers can't be road legal..

It's purely a matter of classification..even if you were to equip them with lights and whatever other items needed for road compliance, they just simply are classed as 'off-road use only' and can't be registered as a road vehicle..

In fact in Ontario they don't even classify as ATVs which at least have limited road privledges in some municipalities..I ride every spring in northern Ontario. I have to keep insurance, plated and paperwork to attend the event. During the event there are sections where we have to run on gravel roads to get from one trail head to another..almost every time we go there are police there ensuring that no one is drinking and whatnot.

Anyway they always stop us on the road section and give us the speech about the legal issue with trikes on the road..but then they let us pass anyway. If we weren't part of a sanctioned event we'd likely get fined!!

Xhumeka
04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Here in Canada, and US also I believe with a couple states holding exception, three wheelers can't be road legal..

Actually that's not true - it's in fact quite easy to plate a "home built" trike for road use in Ontario; and a home-built trike can simply be a modified off-road trike that has lights, horn, etc. The big problem is that you require "facility insurance" which is very cost prohibitive... you'd need to REALLY want to ride your trike on the road to pay the kind of insurance that a "home built trike" will run you!

If you haven't seen this thread, there are some interesting sections of the MTO site and HTA that Lord Letto highlighted... hey, even a 'crazed street corner preacher' is worth listening to sometimes ;)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/154923-Ontario-Trikers-Please-Read-Motor-Tricycles-on-MTO-Site

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Actually that's not true - it's in fact quite easy to plate a "home built" trike for road use in Ontario; and a home-built trike can simply be a modified off-road trike that has lights, horn, etc. The big problem is that you require "facility insurance" which is very cost prohibitive... you'd need to REALLY want to ride your trike on the road to pay the kind of insurance that a "home built trike" will run you!

If you haven't seen this thread, there are some interesting sections of the MTO site and HTA that Lord Letto highlighted... hey, even a 'crazed street corner preacher' is worth listening to sometimes ;)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/154923-Ontario-Trikers-Please-Read-Motor-Tricycles-on-MTO-Site

While I can see it possible to take a road legal motorcycle and modify it to be a road legal trike because it already has a 'road-use' classification, I don't believe you would be able to get an ATC legalized as a road vehicle..

Right on the ownership it states 'issued pursuant to the Off-Road Vehicle Act'..I think you would have to give a stool sample, blood sample, have 17 affidavits, and name of your 6th cousin twice removed to get that off-road classification changed.

I like Letto's homework, but the missing piece in this publication is that crucial classification that would have to be altered.

I will stand corrected to anyone that can show that it has been done..because as we all know precedence is king!!

MojaveRider
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
In Texas anything with less than 4 wheels is considered a motorcycle. Getting the off road use only removed from a motorcycle title is somewhat straightforward (or so I've read), really just need to get a state safety inspection and then do the paperwork, however I've never seen a street legal 3 wheeler.

dcbaaca25
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Ahh rubbish looks like Im gonna be a lone ranger :-/ !

ktmcrasher
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
theres a few guys on http://www.clubatc.co.uk/forums/ that have road legal trikes

Kfx-xc-racer88
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I road registered my 84' tecate a couple of years ago..... now sold but when my 86' atc250r is restored i will road reg that!!

3wheeled roofer
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Here in arizona, My brother has his honda 250r and two yamadog raptors all road legal so he can leave his house and hit the trails. My trikes have off road reg. but with that I can cross straight acrossed county maintained roads. And as all laws, this is at the discretion of the officer. Then you fight it out in court. County maintained is not always paved so you have to make sure your running on trails and not roads. It use to be easy just to run the ditchem deal but they have the side x sides and they can catch you alittle easier, plus its a small area and cops ask a few off roaders if they know anyone riding a three wheeler and your done. Already had them kock on my door and they said "dont let me catch you". I just say you didnt and you wont, but im alittle older now and alittle slower so I stay on the good side of the lawman now.

hawaiirider
04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
i own a street legal trike right now. in fact anyone can. all you do is take a motorcycle or dualsport and convert it, get it inspected and thats it that easy. you CANNOT make any factory 3wheeler or 4 wheeler street legal it HAS to come factory street legal. A honda xl250-650 are the best for this, i used a xl200 so i could put my 200x goodies on it.
Thats the good part the bad is i have been pulled over almost every time i have ridden the darn thing on the street:twisted: i always get let go after they google my bike but its gotten so annoying i hardly ride it anymore on the street, it sucks over 45mph anyways.
Hey you see street legal harley trikes all the time why cant you convert a honda, right:lol:

74sickness
04-17-2013, 09:54 PM
any pictures of this z ?

Larry T Moore
04-18-2013, 07:52 AM
we have different laws per county in Indiana over registering trikes with the local DMV and DNR...but you can get a 3 wheeler retitled to run on the street..my neighbor had his 200m outfitted with turn signals,speedometer, windshield and brake lights and had it registered so he could ride out to his farm..

hawaiirider
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Since i went and made a street legal trike the right way my advice is not to try convering a real 3wheeler youll just get pulled over nonstop and have people call the cops on you. if you convert a dual purpose bike it will be the same deal.

The best way to do this is use a real streetbike, any kind , harley, honda, crotchrocket and just convert it leaving the stock streetbike front end, gas tank and seat, that way it still looks like a streetbike even tho it will be more than capable of absolutely shredding off road.

dcbaaca25
04-18-2013, 11:38 AM
any pictures of this z ?

I have a few pics attached

dcbaaca25
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Are there any places in Wales where you are allowed to ride off-road?

Kfx-xc-racer88
04-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Not really only tracks in mid wales to ride legally if you pay!!