PDA

View Full Version : Help for a 200x that is overheating

rg97
04-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi guys
I've always been worried about my '83 overheating, mainly because my AIR COOLED engine is getting NO AIR. With the first gen X, the front fender is wider than the whole engine, and the bottom part (in front of the engine) blocks all of the air from flowing past the engine because it hangs so low. Just to prove my point, I went down the road (with proper safety gear, of course :lol:) in 5th gear just about WOT and put my hand in front of the engine. NO AIR was flowing. the fender was just pushing it out around my engine... anything that the fender did not block the front tire did. I'm worried about overheating. What can I do to help this, other than cutting holes in the fender? i'm thinking about finding a decent 85-86 250r fender that is thinner, smaller, and in decent shape to mount on. will this work, and any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
~Rheese

oldskool83
04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
cut holes in fender...get an oil cooler heres somthing to motivate you. they will over heat but im sure your jetting is off causing i to run lean and hot. and you can run any type or sport atc fender on hondas they have same bolt patterns.

Dave8338
04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
cut holes in fender...get an oil cooler heres somthing to motivate you. they will over heat but im sure your jetting is off causing i to run lean and hot. and you can run any type or sport atc fender on hondas they have same bolt patterns.

GREAT looking set up. What is the cooler off of?

oldskool83
04-14-2013, 10:13 PM
trx450r. Its nothing close to a bolt on, been highly modified check, cooler and frame to accept it... my build thread out. HRE 200X

Dave8338
04-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Job well done, Sir. Bolt ins are boring IMHO so it is fun to see what others have done and to what extent.

85 350X front fender bolt hole spacing is the same as the 83-85 200X ?

oldskool83
04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
yes 83-84 R 85-86R 85-86 350x 86-87 200x fender bolt up to 83-85 200x.

Dave8338
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Thank You. Plenty of options to choose from. GREAT !

TheBlueWale
04-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Also, it's common sense, but I'll mention it anyway. New/good oil is always a plus in keeping friction down and that will reduce the heat to begin with.

Yamaha_Rules69
04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I have run my 84 200x with a stock front fender on the hottest day a couple years ago, over 100 degrees plus heat index and no wind, and riding sand at a pit at least 3 hours. My leg felt like it was on fire through my pants, but the machine ran great the whole time. These air coolers are designed to get HOT. If your not racing, honostly a oil cooler dosent make much of a difference, and is one more thing to go bad or start a leak.

Scootertrash
04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I guess I'm kinda curious as to why you think it's overheating?

Don't get me wrong, I think an oil cooler is a good mod, and/or having a vented fender.

But these machines have been running all these years without dying from being overheated, as well as air cooled road bikes that have a front wheel and fender right in front of the engine also.

My personal advice: I don't think you have anything to worry about, but if you feel the need, do an oil cooler mod to put your mind at ease. ;)

M.Pargiello
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I have an R front fender with super scoops, I would have to assume that helps with air flow. Never had an overheating issue, Even in stock form though.

yaegerb
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
As already been stated, the 200x receives enough air for woods/trail/typical riding. If you are racing or run the engine at consistently high RPM's then a vented front fender or an oil cooler will do the trick. Another excellent point that was already mentioned is to change your oil after 10 hours of normal riding or 5-10 hours of racing. Clean, fresh oil is essential for these old thumpers.

oldskool83
04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
If anything its just learning lean which will run hot, thats my guess. Check your valve clearances 1st and go from there and change oil. Reseaon I did an oil cooler is because with all the coin i put in the motor and bike for an extra $35 bucks i figured it was cheap insurance and wow factor, if it dont work out 2 plugs locktited and onward I go. :)

yamaha225dr
04-16-2013, 01:10 AM
I remember taking my 250sx on a 17 mile mud bog at a charity ride in Louisiana held every summer called the "Marengo Swamp Ride" out of all my friends, Iwas the only one there with an air cooled atv and I was the only one who didn't have any problems with overheating. I am still amazed to this day that old three wheeler made that whole ride without any mechanical problems, yet brand new quads didn't make it past the first mile marker!