PDA

View Full Version : 86-87 TECATE grab bar difference?

torker
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Is the 87 TECATE grab bar different than the 86? If it is, can someone tell me the difference?

TORKER.

TheBlueWale
04-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes, there is a difference, I have a Nos 87 bar and a few stock 86 ones, the only difference is there is a crimped area on the 87 one.

torker
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Will they interchange?

jeswinehart
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Just so we will know which is which, where is that crimp located ?
I have a picture of a 87 Tecate on file from Hornetspower, his a 87 grab bar ?

torker
04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Guys, thanks for your replies. I just want to know if the PRM grab bar will fit my bike, which, I think its an 86 but have not confirmed yet. Going by the rotors and rear caliper, it's an 86. PRM has it listed for 84-86.
The VIN its really a faint mark and I have only been able to read: AXMTB.

TORKER.

nstyle73
04-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes it will fit, but don't be too surprised if you have to modify an area or two depending on what you are running for your rear fender support or your silencer. I am still curious about this crimping, is it on the right hand portion of the tube where it mounts to the frame? I have two OEM, and only one has the tube on the right side of the bike "crimped" where it mounts, but I had convinced myself it was a user adjustment at some point.

torker
04-15-2013, 12:59 AM
I order the rear fender mounts from Shawn (sblt500r). So, I have no idea how everything will come together. I need the fender mounts and the grab bar so I can finish welding and adapting the ATC250R FMF silencer on the TECATE. I have no other silencer and that one looks like it will fit great once finished.

There is another , very important detail that I need the TECATE guys help with: This bike does NOT have the mount on the frame to install the chamber hanger. Basically, I have nowhere to thread a bolt on the frame for the exhaust (it was horribly put with a hose clamp. A clamp on the end of the pipe and a clamp on the God knows what bike silence that was on it). If someone can measure for me and give me the dimensions (how long and exactly where in the frame is located) I'll weld a bung and be done with that. But, without that I won't be able to finish the silencer part.
Can anyone help with that?

Thanks guys,
TORKER.

TheBlueWale
04-15-2013, 03:36 AM
Would you want some pictures with that too along with the measurements? Also, this thread should help you http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/120783-Differences-between-tecate-86-and-87-by-pics

Also, nstyle73, I think that Kawi put that crimp in there to make the part different from the 86 or it allowed them to better hold the grab bar in place for welding it. I'll post some pictures for you guys later on.

I order the rear fender mounts from Shawn (sblt500r). So, I have no idea how everything will come together. I need the fender mounts and the grab bar so I can finish welding and adapting the ATC250R FMF silencer on the TECATE. I have no other silencer and that one looks like it will fit great once finished.

There is another , very important detail that I need the TECATE guys help with: This bike does NOT have the mount on the frame to install the chamber hanger. Basically, I have nowhere to thread a bolt on the frame for the exhaust (it was horribly put with a hose clamp. A clamp on the end of the pipe and a clamp on the God knows what bike silence that was on it). If someone can measure for me and give me the dimensions (how long and exactly where in the frame is located) I'll weld a bung and be done with that. But, without that I won't be able to finish the silencer part.
Can anyone help with that?

Thanks guys,
TORKER.

Jeb
04-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Many many moons ago I put the PRM Desert grab rail on my 86 KXT. I might have bought one of the first ones PRM offered for the three-wheeler 12 or 13 years ago. Always have enjoyed it being on there it's stout and really helps moving the ATV around. I have a standard PRM on my 250R and will probably put a desert model on my 350X.

For the KXT, I had to cut a notch in the top of the mount to clear a muffler mount boss on the frame so the bar would level out. I also had to slot two of the holes to get them to bolt up. I also put a washer between the mounts and frame rails to allow room for the ears on the seat mount to slide between the mounts and frame. That makes it pretty easy to remove the rear fender/seat because you just pull the two bolts like normal and the ears slide up because they are not clamped by the other bolts through the grab bar mount.

I'd like to think if you bought a brand new PRM rail today, you wouldn't have to make any of those mods yourself.

I do have a stock grab bar, but its painted silver like the frame. I can't remember if that is the stock color of the grab bar or if they are painted black, stock.

And I have no idea of 86/87 crimping differences and would like to see the crimp so I'd know.

torker
04-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Jeb, thanks for the pics, it sure looks good. I've been using the same PRM grab bars since 1986. I have to wait for the seat mount I order from Shawn, I hope to have it soon. Then I'll start to put things together and see how everything fits.
I'd like to thank everybody that has help me one way or another, specially jeswinehart. As always, you guys are of great help.
I hope I can get the measurement for the pipe mount on the frame from someone (pics would be of great help too), that way I can finish adapting the silencer.

TORKER.

christph
04-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I just checked the part numbers for the grab bars on the 86 and 87 Tecates on Kaw's website and they are different. I have an old 3-Wheeling magazine with a review of the 86 KXT and they mentioned the grab bar broke within a few rides. Mine did too when I first got it, but I had a small pipe inserted and welded into it so you can't tell. Anyway, I suspect the crimp on the 87 was Kawasaki's way of reenforcing the grab bar. Unfortunately my 87 came without a grab bar so I can't tell for sure.

Regarding PRM grab bar, I got mine a few years ago and had to modify it. I had to file a semi-circle into the top so it would clear the exhaust mount. I also had to file some groves into it so the fender support would bolt onto the frame. I don't know if they have changed their design.