PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Prep

JMiller
12-16-2003, 07:06 PM
What is the best way to prep plastics before putting on stickers? I just got some factory replica stickers for my 87 Tecate 3 and am wondering what to do to the plastic before i stick them on.

JMiller
12-16-2003, 07:10 PM
By the way, my plastics are new.

430xrider
12-16-2003, 07:16 PM
just wipe them off with a paper towel mix some dish soap and water bout 50/50 in a spray bottle then spray the fender put the sticker on and move it to where you want it then let it dry.after it drys wipe the dry soap off

ATC crazy
12-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Use soap to wash the area, but use some de-greaser before applying the stickers.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Soap cleans the are but the soap/spray mix allows you to get it right where you want it.

x.system
12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Paper towel will leave lint. Use a good pre cleaner that takes off wax. Even new plastic can have a film of wax on them from the factory or from rubbing up against something. If you want them to last use pre cleaner and a lint free towel. I install decals on cars bikes heavy equipment and its the same way every time.

1. Pre clean the surface and let dry.
2. Use a painters tack rag to take care of any lint or dust.
3. Use a bottle of water with a drop of soap to wet both surfaces.
4. place decal where you want it and squege the water out. start at the center of the decal and work your way out to the edge in both directions.
5. keep a towel handy to whipe up the excess water but be gentle.
6. Let the decal dry for about 15 minutes before you take the protective cover off. Start at one edge and peel it back slowly. Keep it as close to the decal as possible for best results. If its a really big decal I will rip the protective cover to make it more managable.
7. If you do all this and still have a air bubble you can still squege the bubble out, usually it will still have a little water behind the decal. If you find you have a piece of dirt you can lift the edge gently, spraying with water as you go and start all over. Peel it off wet, get the dirt off the surface and start over. I use a credit card for smaller decals because you have a couple different egde lengths you can work with.

These are for larger decals. For smaller decals you can usually lay them out without the water but you wont be able to move them around like you can with water.

sportvette
12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
those stickers need to be wet to apply? or do they have a regular adhesive side to them?

i have the same stickers for my tecate, that i still need to apply.

thanks,
mark

JMiller
12-16-2003, 10:57 PM
They are self adheasive, are you sure to wet them with soap & water.

x.system
12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
You dont have to wet them, but they are unforgiving if you put them on and they dont line up. If you use the soap and water method you can slide them around and get them straight and then squege the water out. soap and water will not hurt the adhesive at all.