PDA

View Full Version : Help needed wiring CDI for 200es

tripledog
04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
I can't seem to locate the thread that applies to this specific question, though I remember reading something about it. Upon kbOnly's suggestion, I purchased a 5 pin cdi box on ebay. I also followed his advice and ordered the appropriate connector kit from Vintage Connections (great company to deal with, btw). Starting from the upper left spade as seen in the attached photo and working in a clockwise direction, can anyone tell me what in what order (by color) the wires should be located? Thanks to anyone that help me out!

kb0nly
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Picture from DR ATV and Original Post..

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dratv_2257_147575150

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144910-1984-200ES-CDI-Replacement-MythBusted..?highlight=200es+cdi
Ok, going by how you have it oriented in your picture...

Top Row:
Blue/Yellow - Gray - Black/Yellow
Bottom Row:
Green - Black - Black/Red

I guess he did finally edit that picture and made the bottom middle wire black and he edited the descriptions some since the last time i looked at that picture. So you can just follow the picture now... LOL

Good luck!

tripledog
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Thank you SO very much, kb! As always, you went out of your way to help, and it is much appreciated. Is this a great site, or what?!

kb0nly
04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Your welcome! Let me know if you run into any issues.

tripledog
04-17-2013, 09:07 PM
A quick update on the cdi swap on my 200es. I got a call from my friend tonight, and he said the little 200es is now a runner! He told me that he didn't even need to change the crimp connectors, he merely flattened a piece of wire to release the stock crimps from the stock wiring harness connector and re-inserted them into the connector that I purchased from Vintage Connections. He also told me it had a Champion sparkplug instead of the recommended NGK plug in it, and that may have been the reason why the stock cdi failed. I don't know much about electrical, except for not to use the toaster in the shower (ever again). I would like to extend my most sincere thanks to kbOnly for his expertise and eagerness to help out fellow board members. Total cash expenditure for the swap was far south of $20, shipping included. Needless to say, I am a VERY happy camper. Thanks again, kb!!!