PDA

View Full Version : 250ES rear suspension thoughts..

dougspcs
04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
So I have been considering changing the rear shock on my 250ES..something a little less 'utility' and stiff.

My old back doesn't like the pounding of the utility suspension..I know I can't make it ride like my 350x but a bit softer would be nice.

I was considering a gas shock perhaps and bit more progressive. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-Honda-TRX-300-Rear-ATV-UTV-Gas-Shock-Single-Progressive-Type-/300869235792?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460d343450&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried this before? If so any suggestion on replacement shocks that might be better than this?

RDH/86200X
04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I have the four wheel version of the 250es and have been looking at upgrading the shocks as well. I still need to measure the rear shock but I will let you know how it works out. Should have it done in a week or two.

dougspcs
04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Rear shock is 15"..

kebby28
04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I've been looking for the same for my 250es. Excited to see some feedback on this.

ps2fixer
04-08-2013, 02:14 AM
If you think the 250es is bad, try a 250sx some time :)

If you guys come up with anything, be sure to post it, my 250es machines seem to ride pretty good, but they do seem to be a bit on the stiff side for just trail riding.

barnett468
04-08-2013, 03:11 AM
So I have been considering changing the rear shock on my 250ES..something a little less 'utility' and stiff.

My old back doesn't like the pounding of the utility suspension..I know I can't make it ride like my 350x but a bit softer would be nice.

I was considering a gas shock perhaps and bit more progressive. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-Honda-TRX-300-Rear-ATV-UTV-Gas-Shock-Single-Progressive-Type-/300869235792?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460d343450&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried this before? If so any suggestion on replacement shocks that might be better than this?

Hello

There are two types of piston type shock valving. 1. Wafer or washer type 2. Ball and spring type. All stock shocks are wafer type. Ball/spring type works best. Works Performance makes ball/spring type and custom build to your spec. They are the best ride for your money. They can revalve them if you are not happy. The Ebay shocks you are referring to are wafer type. Rebuildable OEM shocks can be revalved, progressive rate springs can be bought and installed.

WORKS PERFORMANCE “GASSERS” Come in single or dual rate spring

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/vintage.html

SPRING RATE EXPLANATION

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/multirate_desc.html

Q AND A INFO

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/faq.html

WORKS PERFORMANCE HOME PAGE

http://www.worksperformance.com/

SPRINGS AND SHOCKS [VALVING TYPE UNKNOWN]

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

SPRINGS

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/217/195/1/0/0/DEPTPCLASS/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Shock-Springs-Suspension-Parts.aspx

barnett468
04-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Hello

Works performance are gas.

dougspcs
04-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Barnett, again a bit more than is really needed in your answers..please don't take me back to high school shop class and send me on field trips to learn about shocks..

If you have information or experience SPECIFIC to my question, I'd appreciate your input.

I was looking to see if any other members had also faced this, specifically what shock they may have tried and what the results.

PS2Fixer(Cory)..I couldn't agree more. The SX is a back killer too..if I find a shock setup that offers some increased comfort I'll also apply it to my SX and be sure to share it!

I'm really thinking the 300EX rear shock might be the answer..right length and mounts, it's progressive and gas charged. However, I'd love to find a shock with the same mechanics as this with perhaps another 1" to 1.5" of length and travel than the stock 14.5"..a bit of lift and extra travel would be nice.

Just wondering if anyone else has done it before I spend money on a shock..

ps2fixer
04-08-2013, 07:58 AM
If you can confirm it with someone for interchangableness, I have a TRX250X roller that I could pull the shock from... actually my 2nd roller has the shock out of it. Of my understanding that machine is almost the exact same as the TRX300EX. Time to google around a bit O.o

EDIT:

Ok, so from my ebay listing research, 250x and 300es have an interchangeable rear shock. Looking at the pics, the 250x shock eyelet appears a tiny bit wider than the 250es, but at the same time the 250es seems to have more of a spacer than the 250x one. Maybe it will fit with 0 mods O.o. I have a 250sx I would love to do this to if there is no major mods needed :).

EDIT2:

So the "best" shock for a 250x/300ex is a factory 2001 Raptor shock according to this site. If that is true, and a 250x/300ex shock fits in my sx, I'm going to be buying a raptor shock :D. Seems like it would be a bit on the shiff side being for such a larger machine.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=164902&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

dougspcs
04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
You're right on the money about the 250X/300EX interchange..

I love the idea of the raptor shock, but one issue I've found. I believe it is 18.5" hole to hole whereas the 250ES is only 14.5"..that 4" of lift would kill the driveshaft for sure. 1" to 2" max is where I would want to go..

Secondly, most of the raptor shocks and others like it have the nitrogen charge can on the top. I couldn't really find a place to mount it above the suspension..

But I like where you are heading with all this..

You know what, I heard back from the Ebay seller with the shock kit I was looking at..I decided to buy it. It was only $100, so what the hell..fun to experiment.

Pop that 250X shock on your SX Cory and let's compare notes..

Between the two of us we can experiment a bit, have some fun and maybe have a new 'update' to share with the group..keep up the good.

ps2fixer
04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Of what I read the ONLY year of raptor that will work is the 2001 model because the gas charge can is remote and can be mounted anywhere, the ones that are solid mounted probably won't work due to space.

I don't see why someone would suggest the raptor shock to replace the oem 300ex shock if it is 4 inches longer, either way going to have to pop that 250x shock on the 250sx and ride her around. It has to be 100x better riding than it's stocker.

sledcrazyinCT
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Was this the one you purchased for $100? Hope you like it, looking forward to a ride report

Flyingw
04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I put a chinese gas shock on my army trike. The length was right but the gas res has to be pointed to the rear which interferrs with the battery box so I shifted the battery box back so it is possible with the right shock. If you want more info on what I did, I'll see if I can find my thread at 3WO. I have it book marked at home. ES/SX rear shocks are different. The bottom bot eye is longer on the SX. I think if I recall right, the SX works on the ES but not visa versa without some grinding on the SX swingarm shock bracket.

dougspcs
04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Was this the one you purchased for $100? Hope you like it, looking forward to a ride report

Yup, that's the one..

I was just waiting to here from the seller over the weekend to find out what the hole to hole measurement was to compare to the stock ES shock..it was within 1/4" inch.

I'll share up the results once I try it..

dougspcs
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I put a chinese gas shock on my army trike. The length was right but the gas res has to be pointed to the rear which interferrs with the battery box so I shifted the battery box back so it is possible with the right shock. If you want more info on what I did, I'll see if I can find my thread at 3WO. I have it book marked at home. ES/SX rear shocks are different. The bottom bot eye is longer on the SX. I think if I recall right, the SX works on the ES but not visa versa without some grinding on the SX swingarm shock bracket.

Thanks for the info FlyingW, how did you like the ride change with that Chinese gas shock?

Pretty sure that is similar to what I have coming but without the gas charge res on the side.

MRSOUND
04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Watching this thread for results fellas. Would love to have a smoother rear suspension on my BR ans SX. Thanks for all the R&D!

Flyingw
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info FlyingW, how did you like the ride change with that Chinese gas shock?

Pretty sure that is similar to what I have coming but without the gas charge res on the side.The ride was a bit stiffer at first but it has softened up some.

dougspcs
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Watching this thread for results fellas. Would love to have a smoother rear suspension on my BR ans SX. Thanks for all the R&D!

I tell you, I'd love my BR/SX to have the same soft comfy ride my 350X has..I can trail all day on it.

Since I don't use my 'utility' machines for any utility purpose as softer suspension to any degree would be a bonus!

MRSOUND
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I tell you, I'd love my BR/SX to have the same soft comfy ride my 350X has..I can trail all day on it.

Since I don't use my 'utility' machines for any utility purpose as softer suspension to any degree would be a bonus!
Same story here Doug. Right now my BR is the only one tagged and insured, so it's my trail bike by default.

ps2fixer
04-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Sorry have not had a chance to throw the 250x shock on my es/sx yet :(. Got to love the 10 hour shift + 2 hours total drive time / day. Hopefully I'll get to it within the next few days. Besides work, it has been raining like crazy here and don't really have a good place to do the work out of the weather atm :(.

dougspcs
04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
My ebay replacement just showed up today..a noticeable difference while compressing by hand. I hope that translates into ride comfort..it's about 1" longer eye to eye which is a bonus to get a bit of lift also..

But for $84 white box expectations as expected..

I'll install and ride this weekend and feedback..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300869235792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The OEM will definitely be kept close incase this one doesn't stand up!

dougspcs
04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Well a close inspection of the shock I bought shows the length is good, even has a slightly longer travel. The Ebay shock is not a direct replacement!!

But the eye on the bottom is a bit wider than the stock and therefore too wide for the mount..I don't want to mod the trike incase I want to install the OEM again.

I think I'll try pressing the bushing and machining the eye to the thinner width..then press the OEM bushing in.

I'll let you know how this works out..

ps2fixer
04-13-2013, 10:27 AM
That shock looks like the exact setup as a 250x quad, same story here with mine. Looks like the 250SX lower mount might be wide enough, not sure about the top one. Been busy with power outages and trees falling from this last storm...

Dave8338
04-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Funny that as we age, our focus turns more to comfort and slightly away from performance. I did say "slightly" away... ;)

It will be fun to see what you guys come up with. I know after having back surgery to remove a disk, a SOFT and well traveled ride, is worth its' weight in gold, IMHO.

Good luck guys !

ps2fixer
04-13-2013, 06:29 PM
FYI, I'm one of the younger ones in the pack at 25 years old lol. I like a good riding machine rather fast or slow don't matter a ton since it is always fun either way.

dougspcs
04-13-2013, 11:16 PM
FYI, I'm one of the younger ones in the pack at 25 years old lol. I like a good riding machine rather fast or slow don't matter a ton since it is always fun either way.

Fast forward 20 years..the thrill is still there you'll just be looking for a cushy ride to avoid the backpain after a big ride!!

dougspcs
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Well I 'modded' this shock today to get it installed..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300869235792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I pressed the bushing and pin out, machined the mount to the same thickness as the ES OEM shock mount. Then cut down the bushing and pin and pressed it back in.

It now fits the mounts perfectly..

However the shock seems just as stiff as the OEM...hoping it might loosen up a bit with some riding.

Though my thought may have had merit, the I chose may not be the one I'm looking for..I look forward to hearing from Cory. Hopefully the 250x shock is the one.

Jason125m
04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
You need to try to find a shock off of a sportier quad Doug. Those trx 300's ride rougher than a bigred does!

honda4h
04-15-2013, 10:58 PM
how bout air ride just a thought. my old Honda silverwing bike had that fully adjustable very nice ride.

ps2fixer
04-15-2013, 11:56 PM
I suspect the 250x should be mush softer. I don't have a machine shop or much access to the proper tools to do work like you did. I picked up a few new projects / parts in the 2 wheeled niche. I think I said it before, but I think the bottom mount is about the same as the SX, I just didn't get a look at the top mount.

Anyway, I like your solution to the too wide of an eyelet on your shock, since bolt width don't matter all that much, and just length and size of bolt, you could get in the market of modifying new shocks for a newer model of quad to resell for the 250es machines, could be a fun little hobby job :).

EDIT:

Now that I think about it..... wouldn't just changing the actual spring help the most to make it a softer ride? Just would have to find a shock with the same size of coil, with with less rounds or smaller in thickness. Maybe a front shock for something will be closer and light enough to give a nice ride.

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 06:59 AM
how bout air ride just a thought. my old Honda silverwing bike had that fully adjustable very nice ride.

Love that idea, but finding on that isn't a small fortune is tough..

You need to try to find a shock off of a sportier quad Doug. Those trx 300's ride rougher than a bigred does!

Well the reason I chose this shock is because the 300EX and 250X have the same rear shock..and the 250x I owned was softer. Any of the sportier quads have link suspension so their shocks aren't even a consideration..

I suspect the 250x should be mush softer. I don't have a machine shop or much access to the proper tools to do work like you did. I picked up a few new projects / parts in the 2 wheeled niche. I think I said it before, but I think the bottom mount is about the same as the SX, I just didn't get a look at the top mount.

Anyway, I like your solution to the too wide of an eyelet on your shock, since bolt width don't matter all that much, and just length and size of bolt, you could get in the market of modifying new shocks for a newer model of quad to resell for the 250es machines, could be a fun little hobby job :).

EDIT:

Now that I think about it..... wouldn't just changing the actual spring help the most to make it a softer ride? Just would have to find a shock with the same size of coil, with with less rounds or smaller in thickness. Maybe a front shock for something will be closer and light enough to give a nice ride.

As I mentioned to Jason, I got the 300EX shock because it's the same as the 250x..that is why I considered it for this experiment.

I like the spring swap idea but lack the tools to make that happen and the front shock idea crossed my mind but I have to pay attention to the weight capacity of the shock also. Most front shocks aren't rated for the same load and since I'm a big guy a lighter shock would likely bottom continuously and get destroyed quickly..

Thanks for all the input guys..with Kearney coming up I'm not sure I'll get the chance to continue this for a little while. But I will have to keep looking for a shock from another model that has the characteristics and size to allow me to try and fit it. I will not modify the trike to suit a shock mind you, I will make minor shock mods to suit it.

Big G
04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Good thread Doug...thanks for the info!

Jason125m
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Well the reason I chose this shock is because the 300EX and 250X have the same rear shock..and the 250x I owned was softer. Any of the sportier quads have link suspension so their shocks aren't even a consideration..

The shock you linked, is it not a TRX 300 4x4 rear shock? Not a 300ex sport quad

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 05:22 PM
The shock you linked, is it not a TRX 300 4x4 rear shock? Not a 300ex sport quad

Yeah, I know that now..back to the drawing board.

ps2fixer
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I have a 350 warrior, and it had a soft ride, but it is a larger machine too, I bet the shock is about the same as the TRX300 for length etc. I'm thinking the 250x one might be about perfect, but I don't know how much it goes in and out.

Kintore
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Im really digging this thread. My wife is about 110 lbs and she barly moves the rear suspension. So im on a mission to find a upgrade.

I was thinking of swapping springs to a progressive style 250x/300ex style. Just trying to find a blown one thats cheap.

Although if I could make a whole shock work I would. Any more come of this Doug?

Kintore
10-15-2013, 01:21 PM
I was looking at something like this-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Suspension-360mm-400lb-Genuine-Kazuma-110-150-250cc-ATV-/190909748797?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c731b963d&vxp=mtr

not sure if it would be a improvement or not?

dougspcs
10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Back at the time I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-Honda-TRX-300-Rear-ATV-UTV-Gas-Shock-Single-Progressive-Type-/300869235792?_from=R40&_nkw=300869235792&_rdc=1&forcev4exp=true&item=300869235792&ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&vxp=mtr

Similar to the one you are looking at.

Now at 1st I would have said it didn't make any difference..just as stiff. But as I have put some hours on it there seems to be some moderate improvement..

Still would I call it as soft and plush as my 350x..no.

Now you're challenge to make the BR soft on a 110lbs tushy is a gonna be even tougher!

Cory(ps2fixer) was going to experiment with a shock 250x..not sure how that went. Hopefully he chimes in!

Kintore
10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT250-Quadsport-Rear-Shock-89-fast-shipping-/171094983517?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d60e435d&vxp=mtr

I just dug out all the old threads. Someone mentioned a zuke quadsport.

And then there is this-
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/158854-ATC-250SX-Rear-Shock-Alternatives

The black and gold seems to be very soft from his description. Might work perfect for my wife.

I also thought about buying a kids atv shock and using the 30mm eyelet extenders, or whatever length extenders to make to work. Less shock but might be more cushy.

Starting to think this is my best bet, with the 30mil extenders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-5-340mm-AIR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-HONDA-CB250-350-400-CB750-REPLACEMENT-NITROGEN-/261153338540?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccdf3b4ac&vxp=mtr

dougspcs
10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Sounds like you are hot on the case..I'm eager to know if the Suzuki shock is a bolt on fit and if you can find space for the charge can??

I'm a buy it to fit kinda guy as I can fix most things, but fabbing isn't one of my strengths!!

Kintore
10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
I had a brainwave about sled shocks, more specific a front sled shock. Here is a 15 incher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-Skidoo-Formula-SL-500-Fan-Front-Shocks-15-inch-OEM-/121144881466?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34cc313a&vxp=mtr

there is noticeably less coils, than a stock SX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-86-87-Honda-ATC-Big-Red-250es-atc-Rear-Shock-Suspension-Spring-Bolt-OEM-/181234351817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item2a3268bec9&vxp=mtr

According to Flyinw, these would sit like 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher than stock
"The SX shocks have an eye to eye dimension of 365mm or 14 3/8" with 10mm eye holes."

ps2fixer
10-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I had a brainwave about sled shocks, more specific a front sled shock. Here is a 15 incher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-Skidoo-Formula-SL-500-Fan-Front-Shocks-15-inch-OEM-/121144881466?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34cc313a&vxp=mtr

there is noticeably less coils, than a stock SX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-86-87-Honda-ATC-Big-Red-250es-atc-Rear-Shock-Suspension-Spring-Bolt-OEM-/181234351817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item2a3268bec9&vxp=mtr

According to Flyinw, these would sit like 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher than stock
"The SX shocks have an eye to eye dimension of 365mm or 14 3/8" with 10mm eye holes."

A sled shock just might work O.o.

As for the 250x shock test... I never came across the spare shock yet :(. I have a couple of 350x shocks laying around, wonder if the springs could be replaced ez and have it bolt up about right? Remote res might make it fit fine. Also have a 200x roller that might be able to rob the shock off of to play around. I stopped riding my sx since I got a 350x going solid so havn't really bothered trying to upgrade it at all lol.

Kintore
10-16-2013, 03:58 AM
There is a local sled salvage yard near me. Going to grab my shock and take it to see what I can find. Id love to find a bolt up unit. Ill let you boys know!

ps2fixer
10-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Just a quick FYI, the SX has a "normal" width eyelet for both ends of the shock unlike the big reds :(, in my case I was trying to make a SX ride better :). Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to grind down the width of the eyelet some, or maybe there is a better way to go about it?

6speedthumper
10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
This is a cool thread. I'm diggin the suspension talk. I primarily ride an 88 Warrior that I totally rebuilt and modded the hell of. One of the best things I did was upgrade the suspension, to get rid of the stock pogo sticks they call shocks. Besides making +2 arms for it, Works up front and a Banshee in the rear made a world of difference! I'm 25 and have bad knees, and can now ride all day without getting the crap beat out of me. Just a suggestion, you may be able to find some good used WORKS rear shocks for the TRX300 Fourtrax at a good price. I know where there is a brand new one for cheap, but, ain't tellin because my dad desperately needs it for his! lol. I thought there was a company that makes duel rate springs for the TRX rear shock as well. May be worth a look?

big specht
07-01-2018, 09:10 AM
I know this is a old thread but has any body have proof that any of these shocks will work in a big red? There is a lot of ideas thrown around in this thread but no installed pics

captainweezy
12-31-2018, 12:54 AM
I know this is a old thread but has any body have proof that any of these shocks will work in a big red? There is a lot of ideas thrown around in this thread but no installed pics

Amen sister! I just found this since we were chatting about it earlier via text. I think I will try a 300ex shock. I know it will have to be cut down a little on the top.
I'm going to try it soon.