PDA

View Full Version : 86 tri-z powdercoat color match

Rigaman
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I need a 86 tri-z frame powdercoated. I want to match the color right. Does anyone know what paint matches the best? My frame is pretty faded... and I matched a color that looked ok, but I'm worried it won't come out too well.

They are charging me $350 for the frame and swingarm. That just sounds crazy to me.

New2Tri-Z
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I am not sure of an exact match. I just went through the same process, ended up settling for Red Baron Red. Its pretty bright but looks awesome. $350 does sound a little steep for frame and swingarm. Are you just running 1 color for both? If not there is a lot of set up with powder especially a special order color. I will say I just had my whole bike done, 3 colors Red, White and Black and my guy did it for $300. But I got eerything done, Rims, Calipers , Fork lowers, etc.. Anything that was painted from factory I had done. He was doing me a favor as we do a lot of work together through my business, so that may expalin why it was so cheap, but including blasting and paint I was stoked @ $300. I am still waiting on the frame and a few other Red parts but I got all the black and white stuff back and it looks awesome. Good luck on the color match.

3 Wheel Drive
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I paid 600 for my frame, swinger, hubs, axle, spring, footpegs, engine cases n topend, rad brackets,,, prettymuch everything. They even blasted my gold stock rims and painted them chrome, they don't look bad not sure how long the paint will hold up tho. I just picked the color red from some sample items they had finished in the shop.

Rigaman
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Ya. I think $300 for everything is cheap. I called the other place near me to make sure I didnt get taken. and they charge about the same. Last thing I got done was a mini bike frame, 2 sets of tripples and forks, swingarm, ceramic coated pipe, and 5 random brackets.. All for $325. But the tri-z frame is alot bigger and has more prep work. Lots of threads to mask and junk.

I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that it will come back orange/red. I matched the color to my frame as best as I could, but my frame was pretty faded. So I need to go back and go over it better with them.

3 wheel drive. Can you take the spring off the shock without losing the charge? I want to do my spring also, but I dont want to loose my nitrogen charge. How much does it cost to recharge a shock?

3 Wheel Drive
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
My shock was thrashed, not sure about who recharges them? I do know that zmpolaristech can build custom z shocks, you should ask him about it.

Rigaman
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh. . Another question.

Foot pegs. Zinc plated or powdercoat?

New2Tri-Z
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
The shock spring can be taken off no problem, just had mine powder coated. I am having my shock rebuilt right now by Shawn (sblt500r), a member here on the boards. Dont need the spring to rebuild/recharge it either.

As for the pegs I went with Black powder Coat on mine, but haven't had a chance to abuse them yet so not sure how long they will hold up.