PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Machining Service?? Any Forum Members Machining?

kb0nly
04-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Got another Honda 200ES motor here that i am going through for another owner, was pulled out of a shed after a ten year slumber, it did run, but smoked like a banshee. The cylinder doesn't look to bad actually, and the head is in good shape, but looking to send them both off for rework.

In the past i have sent the head and cylinder off to G&H Discount ATV and they rebuild the head with new seals and valves and bead blast it, etc. They also bore and hone the cylinder, bead blast it, and include a new piston, rings, wrist pin and clips, and a gasket kit. I can get the gasket kit separately but it would be nice to find another service that includes the matched piston and rings so i don't have to risk screwing up ordering that...

Looking for another place to try, G&H hasn't replied to two emails in a week and a half, they always used to be spot on replying and setting up for a shipment to them and now its like pulling teeth. Not to mention they are charging $250 to do this service now. I used to have a local shop that could bore and hone for $50 and a head rebuild was like $60 but they went out of business a couple years ago and i miss them dearly.

Any forum members on here offering top end machining? Know of another shop that has a website or makes it simple with an email or two to get it all done? I am hardly able to make a call during normal business hours so its nice not having to make a dozen phone calls to get this stuff done.

Scootertrash
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
kb-
This is the guy I use. I've had him do my work for years on everything from wheelers to Harleys and I have never had a problem.

http://www.billbune.com/

Prices are under the services tab.

I would buy an SPI or Wiseco piston kit or parts off of ebay, and ship it with your cylinder, it will save you the mark up on parts. Or, if you think you can get by with re-ringing it, just order rings from Honda or off of ebay.

I prefer Wiseco, but I did put an SPI kit in a sled for a guy this winter and he has a couple hundred miles on it with no problems.

I would recommend a Honda head gasket. I used a Vesra (I think) kit on my 84 200S and it's already leaking oil. Even after rechecking head bolt torque after my break in heat cycles. Cometic are good gaskets, not sure if they make a Honda 200 kit or not.

Here is a NOS Wiseco 65.5 mm (one size over) kit on ebay for 70.00, not sure if these older pistons are 10.25:1 compression like the newer ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-NOS-WISECO-PISTON-KIT-ATC-ATC200-ATC200X-TRX-TRX200SX-SX-4395P2-/350731578779?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a93b2d9b&vxp=mtr

Here is a 1mm O/S (2 sizes over) on ebay 99.00:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Wiseco-Piston-Kit-1-00mm-OS-for-Honda-ATC200-ATC200S-1981-1986-/171001960979?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d082da13&vxp=mtr

Couldn't find any SPI kits for Honda on ebay.

Check your PM's

atc007
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I'll bore and hone any members 4 cycle next over for $45. You shipping it both ways. Been doing it 27 years. I usually clean base and head gasket surfaces,I don't have a bead blaster,so it won't be that pretty. Valve job on that 200 will run you the same money not replacing valves. Cleaned up including exhaust port, New seals and all lapped in. I'm also a dealer for pistons and gaskets. Turn key here. Just don't wanna get TOO busy . Which reminds me,,I have a members 300R cylinder down there! Damn,,,forgot all about it... Guess he did too lol... Not.

kb0nly
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I will get a quote from Bill and see what he says, i got just enough time to fire off an email to him before i take off this morning.

Thanks!!

kb0nly
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I'll bore and hone any members 4 cycle next over for $45. You shipping it both ways. Been doing it 27 years. I usually clean base and head gasket surfaces,I don't have a bead blaster,so it won't be that pretty. Valve job on that 200 will run you the same money not replacing valves. Cleaned up including exhaust port, New seals and all lapped in. I'm also a dealer for pistons and gaskets. Turn key here. Just don't wanna get TOO busy . Which reminds me,,I have a members 300R cylinder down there! Damn,,,forgot all about it... Guess he did too lol... Not.

I will see what i get for a price from Bill up here in MN, if he hits me with a high price i might PM you also! I need a source for an occasional bore and hone and valve job again, i used to have a nice local shop where i could drop it off and have it back in a couple days for about $120, man i miss that!

old-yellow
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I use bill bune to, great guy to work with

kb0nly
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I use bill bune to, great guy to work with

I emailed him a couple times and never got a reply, haven't had a chance to try calling him.

I think this project is going to atc007..

Scootertrash
04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Ya know, modern technology isn't always what it's cracked up to be.
Depending on email settings, spam filters, and your email address, your email my be getting sent to the trash or spam folder without him even knowing he got it.

People nowadays rely too much on what I like to call "lazy communication": email and text. Hell, I've sent PM's thru forums (including this one), which alert the user to the PM and also give the recipient an email notification and either haven't gotten a response for several days or never got a response, and that is with two forms of notification. ;)

I just called the 576 number and talked to Steve, he answered in 3 rings. He said he doesn't handle the emails, he job is to handle the front desk and phone. I've been to the shop, there is no computer at the front desk where Steve works.

Pick up the phone.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me who gets your work, 007 or Bill, I don't get paid for referrals. I'm sure 007 does outstanding work, he's a long time member and I've seen no negative comments about his work, and I know Bill's guys do. Bill's shop has been around since 1971 and he does the lions share of the dealer work in the state.

oldskool83
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I take my cyclinders to Napa, quick service and good prices with media blasting too.. Anytown within a few miles may have a Napa but not all of them have machine shops. I last paid $50 I think with for a blasted machined cylinder and had it in 1.5 weeks. October 2012 price.

old-yellow
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I emailed him a couple times and never got a reply, haven't had a chance to try calling him.

I think this project is going to atc007..

I always call or just show up at the shop so i don't have any opinions on the email communication, my point being that you should go with whoever your most comfortable with to do the work. Alex

Scootertrash
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
All of our NAPA in my area don't do any machine work anymore, not even brake rotors or hubs. If I had the money for the machines and a building, I'd start a small/boring/honing etc shop. Those types of services are really limited around here.

I think the longest it took for a cylinder job at Bill's place was 2 weeks and that was during snowmobile season in a year with a lot of snow and they were busy as heck.

kb:
Here is a rough estimate, this is what I would use if Joe Schmo brought me his machine to repair. Prices are from Bill's website:

Bore and hone (bore then hone to finish size): 60.00 (with your piston. Remove cylinder studs, they charge to remove them if needed)
2-valve valve job: 60.00 (extra charge if they have to disassemble the valves/rockers)
sandblast cyl/head 20.00 (my stab in the dark, both phone lines are busy)
clean gasket material 2.00 minimum
140.00 to start + any gasket cleaning. If you need a valve guide, guides are 15.00 each.
If you bought a gasket set, send them the valve guide seals with your other stuff, and they'll install them, or you can do it when they are done.
My guess is shipping is going to be 25 ish dollars, you won't know till you box it up and weigh it.

If the exhaust valve isn't burned badly and doesn't need to be replaced, I'd say you are looking at around 175-200 +/- with tax.
These aren't Bill's numbers, they are mine, I'm just trying to help you out a bit here. If you want accurate numbers call the shop. ;)

kb0nly
04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Roger, i appreciate the help guys. I would pick up the phone but when im working during the day i hardly get a chance to make a call, usually sitting on the phone all day doing support and i keep my fingers busy on the keyboard so i dont go insane listening to people talk about their printer not working right. Then by the time i get done with work the last i want to do is deal with that damn phone.. LOL

So generally when i need something like this i toss out some emails so they can get back to me at their own pace. Around here none of the NAPA's do anything anymore but sell parts and they can't even do that right unless you give them make, model, year, part number, etc.. Some of the stores still have a knowledgeable counter guy, but most don't. We don't have any local machine shops that i know of, used to have a nice local one that i could drop stuff like this off and get it in a day, but they closed up shop when the owner retired.

I think if someone started a machine shop around here they could make a killing just doing work on small jobs like this! I did save all the info, next time i get a machining job i might send it up there and have him do one to, i usually spread the work around when i can and help guys get some work.

Shipping em off to atc007 tomorrow, provided this latest midwest storm doesnt foul up the system it should get there this week. Looks like up to 8 inches of snow!

Scootertrash
04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
8 inches!!??!!! Should I leave my ski and 4 snows on the 200S then?? Crap!! I want to get back to work!!

Yea, if I could afford to set myself up for a small engine machine shop, I'm sure there's still plenty of work that could be considered Bill's leftovers. That shop is always busy, even when it's slow.

He's also a gun dealer, aaaannndd he does a machine gun rental shoot at the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis, South Dakota during Bike Week. He has some cool toys ;)

He's got a lot of irons in the fire and he's always busy with something. Fortunately for him he has a crew he can trust to get the work done at the shop when he's off doing other things.

kb0nly
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Yep its snowing here now, like a frickin snowstorm blowing, started with freezing rain then went to sleet and now its snowing so heavy i can't see a half block. I am in the area of 3-6 inches and just bordering on the 4-8 inches. But that 4-8 region keeps moving closer as hours go by. The just called off school, the buses dropped the kids back off and gave up. Going to be a fun day!