PDA

View Full Version : switch 85 350X clutch setup back to 86????

350x'inNY
12-16-2003, 12:24 AM
Ok... here's the deal....

My daily driver is a 86 350x. Has an 86 OEM clutch cable, serial number shows an '86 motor. Has all the clips to run the clutch cable down the oil cooler and over under the carb... BUT>>>>>> the cable is ran like an '85 down between the headers.

Is there anyway to put the linkage arm on to run it the proper direction? It was like this when I got it... the cable is shinny new, but has melt burns where it has slapped the header pipes. (my 85X has a metal spring around it when it runs up by the headers) I just got an aftermarket exhaust and the header pipes are larger diameter than stock, so I would really like to route it like the 86 should be!!

Bruce

350x'inNY
12-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Come on.... someone has to know this!!!

Is there a way to turn the clutch lever arm 90º so that I can remount the cable to pull 'E-W' instead of 'N-S' on the 350X motor hense returning the clutch operation to that of an '86 instead of the '85 configuration???

OR.....

do i need to buy an '86 Right side cover for my '86 motor to have the clutch lever at the motor work like a 86 should. Do I have an '86 motor with a '85 cover???

HELP!!

Bruce

350Kris
12-17-2003, 01:19 AM
I've often thought about this. Theoretically, you should only have to buy a new (or get used) clutch lifter arm (lever complete on Partsfish). I think the only change Honda made was to weld the top piece 90 deg different. Let me know if you find out.

Kris