PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question.. Will a 2 stroke silencer work on a 4 stroke?

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I just found a super cheap dg silencer for a tecate and I want to know if it will work for my 225dx ? It's only 30 bucks too

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Bump.
I still need some help please, I never found one this cheap before and I just wanna know if it will work

Thanks Colton

Dave8338
04-01-2013, 05:44 PM
YES... it will work and when tuned correctly, they usually flow better than a four stroke set up. BUT...BUT...BUT... it is a matter of jetting the machine for THAT pipe. Your stock jetting will be too LEAN with a decent 2-stroke pipe.

Hope this helps.

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what is involved in the process of jetting it?

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
So do you mean I would have to adjust the gas/air flow so it will run properly?

old-yellow
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
here read this it will help http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

Dave8338
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
It all depends on the pipe. Usually, it requires a jump up in the main jet. Pilot jet can be compensated for by raising the jet needle up a notch or two, with the clip.

ALL of this info is nothing more than suggestions as I have no idea who made the pipe, how much it varies in size from the original exhaust and OR if there are any baffles OR if it it is a stinger type set up. If the terms I'm using have you scratching your head, it may be best to source an original muffler for your bike.

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the info, so it sounds like I would new to make it richer, by lowering the needle and raising the main jet, how hard is this to do? Sounds pretty easy. Thanks old yellow for that link

Dave8338
04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
The main jets are fixed. No adjustment except for a replacement with a larger size. Lowering the needle position, LEANS out the bike in the transition from pilot to main jet. Me tinks you should spend some more time looking for the correct exhaust. Jetting is something that takes a full understanding of exactly how a carb works.
Do it wrong and there may be a thread asking questions about a scored piston.

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Ok thanks for the info Dave, I do have the original silencer I was just looking for a aftermarket one for it, but that whole jetting stuff sounds like a nightmare for me, I guess I'll just have to look for a 4 stroke silencer to bad there so expensive, anyway thanks again, glad I didn't waist my money

Jason125m
04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Why do you want an aftermarket for your dx?

barnett468
04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Ok thanks for the info Dave, I do have the original silencer I was just looking for a aftermarket one for it, but that whole jetting stuff sounds like a nightmare for me, I guess I'll just have to look for a 4 stroke silencer to bad there so expensive, anyway thanks again, glad I didn't waist my money

Hello Colton

"sounds like I would new to make it richer, by lowering the needle"

No - "Needle: The needle is attached to the carb slide and is raised and lowered when you push and release the throttle. When you let off your throttle, the needle lowers into the main jet circuit, cutting off fuel flow as it goes down."

xxxxx

"and raising the main jet"

Yes

xxxxx

"jetting stuff sounds like a nightmare for me, I guess I'll just have to look for a 4 stroke silencer"

ANY modification to a stock exhaust system typically requires re jetting. I suggest to buy what you want cause you may have to jet it anyway.

xxxxx

How does it run now?

What EXACTLY is on it now?

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I just have the original exhuast on it, its OK I would like something a little louder and cooler, if I took the Carb to a local ATV shop do you think they would jet it for me? And what would happen if I did get it and put it on? Without jetting it

ColtonGG33
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Dang it Barnett now you want to make me buy it even more :)