PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z 5th gear stutter

200xranger
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
I got my 85 Z out yesterday and it starts and runs great but when in 5th gear going thru the rpms it stutters pretty bad. like it wants to die then catches itself over and over. only does it in 5th. is there something in the tranny bad or that is prone to go out? any ideas? thanks

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2013, 10:14 AM
what kind of studder.. like a Ignition studder/carb popping? or a grinding pop down low on the motor? missing tooth on gear? sound... fresh gas? ... drain the bowl on the carb and the fuel pump...

and at WOT in 5th... JETTING!?

200xranger
03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
its not at WOT, its just 5th gear in general. there isnt any poping noise or grinding. It did this one time last fall before I put it up for the winter. the bike just bucks like crazy thru all of 5th gear. I just rebuilt the ENTIRE top and bottom about 2 years ago and havent rode it more than 10-15 hours so i would think there isnt anything broke. reminds me of my old truck with a cracked distributor cap when it rained lol guess I will pull the carb and have a look

zzmegad
03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
that happened to a z i have. At first it felt like it was some kind of top end thing. The RPM's would jump up and down. It did that a couple time before I lost 5th gear completely. So for me, it was something falling apart down there. I never did open that one up yet, and it still does 1st through 4th fine.

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
get some good gas,, non eth,, or race fuel.. I truly hate a gas/carb issue when its time to ride..

200xranger
09-16-2013, 09:48 PM
carb is clean and good fuel, still have the studder in 5th...any other ideas? before I tear it down to check the tranny!!!

El Camexican
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Take it to 5th nice and slow then get off and on the gas insead of just nailing it, does it run any better? If you rev it up and run it hard in say 3rd or 4th will it start to sputter as well? I wonder if you don't have a weak fuel pump.