PDA

View Full Version : And boom goes the engine:/

spentar
03-30-2013, 09:17 PM
So i blew up my tri zinger 2 months ago and finally got all the parts and the bore done. I had my friend over to do the rebuild and everything seemed to go right. I broke the engine in a pu it away for the night. Got it out real early in the morning and ran it around casually. After bout 30 mins i said ok lets go down the the trail next to my house and rip around for a bit.. Sooo i went down there and the thing ran awsome, with tons of power. On the way back up the street she blew. She seized up so i rolled her back to my garage. I took a breather then went over to the bike. I gave her a little pull and she came free. Then i pulled again and she started right up but i shut it off right away. Pulled the top end and seems like the top ring blew apart. My local dealers gonna acid wash the aluminum off the cylinder then hone it and see if its gonna need another bore. But after some thought i think i put the piston on upside down(Dummy)... Im guessing thats what caused my problems.. On monday im gonna call the dealer just to verify that the scores on the cylinder are on the exhaust port side.

Worden18
03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Ouch that hurts....I hope it all turns out well in the end for you. Let us know what happens :)

old-yellow
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
sorry to hear that hope you get her up and running again

JasonB
03-31-2013, 12:27 AM
That sucks man! Good luck getting it back together!

yaegerb
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
So i blew up my tri zinger 2 months ago and finally got all the parts and the bore done. I had my friend over to do the rebuild and everything seemed to go right. I broke the engine in a pu it away for the night. Got it out real early in the morning and ran it around casually. After bout 30 mins i said ok lets go down the the trail next to my house and rip around for a bit.. Sooo i went down there and the thing ran awsome, with tons of power. On the way back up the street she blew. She seized up so i rolled her back to my garage. I took a breather then went over to the bike. I gave her a little pull and she came free. Then i pulled again and she started right up but i shut it off right away. Pulled the top end and seems like the top ring blew apart. My local dealers gonna acid wash the aluminum off the cylinder then hone it and see if its gonna need another bore. But after some thought i think i put the piston on upside down(Dummy)... Im guessing thats what caused my problems.. On monday im gonna call the dealer just to verify that the scores on the cylinder are on the exhaust port side.

"Upside down"? You mean backwards? Sometimes there is an arrow on the crown of the piston and typically (not always) that arrow should be pointing towards the exhaust port.

atc350xer
03-31-2013, 06:42 AM
"Upside down"? I think he means that it has a horizontal engine, so 180 degrees out would be "upside down"

shortline10
03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Having the ring pins in the wrong spot probably caused the ring to snag an opening in one of the cylinder ports . Lesson learned .....

86T3
03-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Even though you may have made a mistake in the motor, you deserve a lot of credit for shutting it off right after you restarted it. Id say most oung people amd a lot of older guys would have said all was fine when you got it running again (i probably fall into this catagory). Good judgement bud!

spentar
04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah thanks, i gotta call the dealer tomorrow to see how the hone came out. lets hope i dont gotta have it bored again!

barnett468
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Hello

Let us know if the piston was in backwards. If it was nit then you need to look for another priblem like ex port not chamfered or something. Don;t want it to happen again.

Were the ring japanese or us made or an off brand?

hope this info helps

spentar
04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Everything was OEM but im almost positive that the piston was upside down.

spentar
04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Alright so heres an update on the zinger.. I got the jug back from being honed. It came out great other than the ports being chamfered a wee bit weird but ittl work. I ordered parts so in a week ill be rippin this baby around hopefully. Once its done ill post a thread to show what she looks like with the new tires and new tri zinger graphics i bought.

Dirtcrasher
04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Everything was OEM but im almost positive that the piston was upside down.

You mean backwards, or you smashed a hole through the piston enough to fit over the connecting rod :lol:

spentar
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
yeah yeah either way it was on the wrong way :/

El Camexican
04-04-2013, 09:11 PM
A couple tips;
- Arrow or “ex” on the piston always points towards the exhaust port
- Wristpin clip openings should be pointed either toward the head or toward the crank (either is fine) to keep them from closing and coming out at the end of a stroke
- The mark, or letter (usually an "N") on the rings points up or towards the head. If there is no mark look at the end of the ring to see if it is cut to fit on the locator pin on the piston and make them match
- Look at the ring locating pins on the piston and if it seems they could pass over any port you have something wrong. Rings ends should never pass over openings

spentar
04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks and this time i wont be making mistakes. I have a good friend on here russ98atc to help me rebuild this, plus his dads a mechanic and has been working on trikes and dirtbikes his whole life. So if we need help we have him. but russ has rebuilt his zinger 3 times so he knows what hes doing. I just cant wait for it to be back and running.

El Camexican
04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
russ has rebuilt his zinger 3 times so he knows what hes doing.

Please put us at ease and tell us that the 3 rebuilds he did to his trike were not all in the same month.;)

spentar
04-05-2013, 10:56 PM
ummm hehe one was right after he got it and to your suprise yes a week after he rebuilt it it seized:/ it was because he was using a pw50 head and the piston hit the head when he would wind it out and it got seized into it:/:/. But hes pretty good with tuning and very maticulous when it comes to that stuff. If he ends up reading this stuff he can explain how late he stays up tuning, cleaning, and adjusting things.