PDA

View Full Version : My auto-x is finished

Bren_downe
03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
After months of collecting parts and a week of assemble, she's finally done. Man does it rip! I basically
Followed the old article and it works perfect. Can't believe it.
Sorry it's my first build, I'm pretty excited.
200x sprockets, carb and exhaust, 200s motor.
I beat the poo out of it all day and everything held up. 166313
Thanks Xowner and captainwheezey for the parts!
The pic is almost complete, it's got maxxis sur traks on the back now

goump1995
03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice!! Just finally putting mine back together!

Still needs a hell of a lot of work, but I finished the front and rear end today. Rebuilt rear shock and front forks. A ton of swapping... Now I'm only waiting for the parts for the engine to come in and she'll almost be done! Looks good, btw!!

Bren_downe
03-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks goump! Mine still needs a tone of work too but I was too excited to not drive it. Still needs rear shock re-charge,
New chain and sprockets, new fork seals and probably carrier bearings pretty soon.

yamaha225dr
03-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Nice X but I gotta ask why did you want to replace the manual clutch Trans for one with an auto clutch? I'm not talking down on your build, just wondering cause I have seen a couple of these conversions.

Bren_downe
03-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Honestly I'd rather have the clutch, but I got a great deal on two 200s' and a 200x rolling chassis so it seemed like a no
Brainer. I just had to buy rear fenders, seat, gas tank and a few odds and ends. Way more fun than my 200s, and quite
quick.

yamaha225dr
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Honestly I'd rather have the clutch, but I got a great deal on two 200s' and a 200x rolling chassis so it seemed like a no
Brainer. I just had to buy rear fenders, seat, gas tank and a few odds and ends. Way more fun than my 200s, and quite
quick.

I totally understand your reasoning! I had a nice 200x roller I bought for $200 years ago and couldn't find a good engine and wire harness anywhere! So I sold it to a friend who had a 200s and he done the same thing as you. I kick myself in the rear every time I think about cause the roller was complete and immaculate but had no engine or wiring. Using the regular 200s engine never crossed my mind until he bought the thing.

JasonB
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Where's the article on this ? My sister ATC-Lindsey and her bf are swapping an auto x.

Edit** nice work on the swap too!

goump1995
03-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Nice X but I gotta ask why did you want to replace the manual clutch Trans for one with an auto clutch? I'm not talking down on your build, just wondering cause I have seen a couple of these conversions.

I'm swapping for the auto mainly because it's much better for my riding style. Mud, thick trails, water... While the manual clutch is fun to have, the auto was just better for my riding type.

goump1995
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks goump! Mine still needs a tone of work too but I was too excited to not drive it. Still needs rear shock re-charge,
New chain and sprockets, new fork seals and probably carrier bearings pretty soon.

No problem, man! I love seeing more trikes come together! Yeah, so far I'm about 150$ in my build. Carb kit, clutch kit, rings, gasket set, valves, other goodies.
I see you're also running the same rear tires as I am!

-Travis

yamaha225dr
03-31-2013, 02:45 AM
t
I'm swapping for the auto mainly because it's much better for my riding style. Mud, thick trails, water... While the manual clutch is fun to have, the auto was just better for my riding type.

I almost asked the Op earlier if he was doing it to make his X more trial friendly. I know it gets pretty annoying having to manage the clutch when riding in areas that require you to slip it a lot. I ran into a similar situation with my R, a family member took me on a trail with steep hills that required a lot of low speed maneuvers! It sucked, a 2 stroke hates lugging and my clutch was hating me that day! lol Never again will I get myself on that trail with a two stroke!

DasUberKraut
03-31-2013, 03:09 AM
When I can get my hands on a 200x roller. I have a 81 XR250R motor I'm going to stuff in it. 4 stroke for trail use...but still clutched.

atc350xer
03-31-2013, 06:30 AM
I built one 2 years ago, it's gone now, but not forgotten... was real fun.

BigRed_Ryno
03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
I bought a 200x roller a few years back and 'borrowed' the engine outta my 200s. the auto-x is great! I spent months hunting down another engine which ended up being a 200x motor, so it got converted back. didn't really think the 200s chassis would benefit a 200x motor! but I'd have another auto-x tomorra if I could!

trizilla
03-31-2013, 08:32 AM
I built one 2 years ago, it's gone now, but not forgotten... was real fun.

that is really nice.. how well did those 350x headlights work with that engine?

Bren_downe
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Where's the article on this ? My sister ATC-Lindsey and her bf are swapping an auto x.

Edit** nice work on the swap too!

The article is on the old 3ww site. I think it's under magazine articles or PDF's.
It's a great source for the little stuff like how to cut the case saver and shorten the shifter.

atc350xer
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
that is really nice.. how well did those 350x headlights work with that engine?
Thanks Eric... I wired it so low beam was one headlight and high beam was the other. Just adjusted the angles of each appropriately. I got the idea from someone here who did it before me.

trizilla
03-31-2013, 12:31 PM
i had a 350x headlight on that suspended 185 at one time. i always wanted to figure a way to get enough juice out of the 185 to run both at the same time.