PDA

View Full Version : 84' 200s. ?

hafdeadx
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
I have a 84' 200s and it's started to smoke a little out the exhaust.
It sorta lightens up some after I run it for a half hr or so.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
To rich, dirty carb, worn rings?

barnett468
03-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Hello halfdeadx

I just posted the following on another topic like yours use what applies to you and please answer questions if you like.

Hello

Good info a few answers would help everyone greatly to help you determine the exact cause of your problem.

I strongly suggest not riding it until you find the cause of your smoking problem, you could do more damage to motor!

Did it suddenly start smoking just PRIOR to the no start event, like started smoking 1 hour before or had it been smoking for days?

This is important. What color was the smoke, dark black or light gray to white?

Did the smoke linger in the air or did it disappear quickly?

After it has sat at least an hour or more then without trying to start it look at your spark plug, what color is it, almost white, medium tan or black, black, black?

Is it DRY and POWDERY like dust or does it look even slightly wet and possibly slightly gooey?

Can you post a photo of your plug?

Did it suddenly start making any loud ticking noise just prior to the no start event?

Did it make unusual noise in general?

Check valve adjustment and for valves opening as badmwbrad suggested. He wants to see if your cam is going flat but probably not. Aflat cam does not cause engine smoke but the material from a worn cam can get in your oil and rings and damage them, your piston and your cylinder bore.

Do a compression test if you can, post the reading, around 115 is minimum you want. Gauges are not exact unfortunately but if your compression is like 70 then this info will help.

PLUG COLOR - ANY wetness on plug is oil irregardless of plug color is oil [not good], any dry, dry, black is excessive fuel, white is too lean.

SMOKE COLOR – Quickly dissipating dark gray/black is excessive fuel, lingering light gray/white is oil.

Please try to answer one question at a time in line order fashion not all in one paragraph, it is easier to understand answers that way.

Hope this info helps.

hafdeadx
03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks Barnett468. Give me a couple of days for the answers. I have to get back to town from holiday.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-31-2013, 08:48 PM
It sounds a lot like valve seals to me. I would also measure the ring end gap as well as piston to cylinder clearance if you tear it down, as the oil control rings may be worn out, or it may need an overbore. For the valve seals, you can bring it to a machine shop, have them re cut the valve seats, and install the valve seals for around 40 dollars.

dougspcs
03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
I have a 84' 200s and it's started to smoke a little out the exhaust.
It sorta lightens up some after I run it for a half hr or so.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
To rich, dirty carb, worn rings?

As others have probably stated, but maybe in simpler form..

1/ Compression test..readings should be 156PSI (+-14PSI) and this number is directly from the manual. A decent gauge will accurately tell you the health of your engine..it's worth the $30 investment from the auto parts store since it will likely last you the rest of your life!

If your reading is lower than this, you're taking it apart..most probably rings, but if it is something else you're still taking it apart. A top end refresh is the answer.. At this age it's the most common and likely..also previously mentioned do the valve seals since they come in most gasket kits.

The instructions on how to do this are well detailed in the services manuals on the site..

Good luck!!