PDA

View Full Version : My 86' 250sx

Nubbinz
03-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I traded my king quad for an 86 250sx. Its a bit of a running project. I drove it and it pulled HARD. No smoke or knocks. But every once in a while ited rev up on its own. I am going to rebuild the carb and replace all breather lines and hoses. It still has the original tires with the little nubs on the sides, and a pair of holeshots with good tread. New clarke plastic gas tank. Needs some back fenders, and a set of racks and itll be good.

i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good carb rebuild kit, and if i could get all the carb settings for turns out etc.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I have used the moose carb kits, and had good luck with them on my 350x and 200x, although on the 350 I had to go a few sizes larger on the main jet, as I added a free flowing exhaust, 10:1 high comp piston and uni air filter with airbox lid removed. As for the carb settings, see if you can find a manual, Monroe mike has some posted in his sig.

Nubbinz
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Pics arent too good. Its torn apart a bit now but i could take better ones later.166156166157166158166155

Yamaha_Rules69
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Here is a link to some service manuals, see if it will work for you - http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ Good luck! ------ Jon

redsox
03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks nice man. you're going to love the sx. great trike!! there's lots and lots of good advice on here. search feature can be your best friend.

Nubbinz
03-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on carb kit. Ill find a moose kit for an all stock sx. And ive honestly never noticed the search feature. Now to find a running 83-85 atc 110..

tripledog
03-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Nice score! No expert here, but regarding the engine revving up on its own, it may be something simple. If it revs as you are turning, it could be an improperly routed throttle cable that tightens as you are steering. If it revs and doesn't rev down quickly, it may be a gunked up or kinked throttle cable that has reached the end of its serviceable life. Shot in the dark, and just trying to help. You 350x guys make me so jealous!

dustrunner
03-27-2013, 11:50 PM
nice looking sx.... good luck on those racks $$$$

Nubbinz
03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Im convinced it was a barn find, it smells like hay and manure, and the air filter was eaten by mice. Theres probably a bunch of varnish in the carb. Im just planning to get it running good, looking mint, and spacing the rear 4 inches, maybe a pvc snorkel if it wont require me to re jet, and a hand crank winch

aldochina
03-28-2013, 01:20 AM
put the stock tires on and it will ride so much nicer! this machine was made for the trail!! If thats where you plan to use it I would lose the hole shots, forget about spacers, and rock it stock!! Any wider in the rear and you tend to push the front end! Dangerous! the fat front tire does not stear well with a wide rear! everyone is different though, thats my opinion. Looks pretty nice! good trade for sure!

ps2fixer
03-28-2013, 06:23 AM
put the stock tires on and it will ride so much nicer! this machine was made for the trail!! If thats where you plan to use it I would lose the hole shots, forget about spacers, and rock it stock!! Any wider in the rear and you tend to push the front end! Dangerous! the fat front tire does not stear well with a wide rear! everyone is different though, thats my opinion. Looks pretty nice! good trade for sure!

I was about the post about the same thing! Stick with the stock rear end spacing! I tried 3 in wider and didn't like it, stearing was worse, and easier to hit things on the trail that you didn't want to hit like ROOTS! Wheel spacers only reall work well on the 200x, 350x and 250r, I think a lot has to deal with #1 the extra power they have, and #2 the fact their rear ends are much lighter due to being chain drive. I have both a 350x and a 250sx. SX is great for general riding, wet riding (muddy trails, after a rain etc), and the 350x is great for when it is dry out or you want to go extra fast.

Also I remember reading something about an 85 carb starter problem on the 250es engines, I would guess the sx is the same story, might want to look into that. Mine is starting to do the auto reving thing too when I turn, gota check the cable routing.

Oh talking about cables, look up a "cable luber" some time, I bought a few but havn't used one yet, seems like a great idea though!

barnett468
03-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Hello nubbinz

MOOSE CARB KIT

When you rebuild your carb if you have a fuel mix screw on the bottom it should have a spring, flat washer and O ring on it per another member. The washer and o ring may be stuck in carb body. Another member swore that there was no o ring in the MOOSE carb kit for that screw. If you do not have an o ring on this screw it can leak gas and can cause irregular idle by allowing air to pass by screw.

This may also be part of your idle problem.

Remove fuel line from carb, drain gas into clear glass if it looks brown at all like apple juice it has re-emulsified the old dried gas goo in the tank and this will reduce performance and will gum up pistons and guides and cause them to stick.

If this is the case the tank must be cleaned use bb’s and 1 gal of paint thinner, pour both in, let sit 30 min, shake, sit 30, shake, should be ok.

Hope this info helps.