PDA

View Full Version : 85 kxt250 leak mystery

eeq65
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
So I just noticed that my kxt250 slowly leaks anti freeze from the head gasket area. I changed the gasket, torqued to specs and still leaks. Its actually more like sweeting through the gasket it seems. could this possibly be because of the cheaper after market gasket? I also just had to top end machined and new piston and rings installed. Has anyone seen this before?

christph
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Hmmm...never seen that on mine. You say you got the "top end machined" but does that mean the head AND the top of the cylinder? If either one is warped or gouged it could be the source of your problem. Or, perhaps a bad gasket even though it is new. There aren't too many possibilities.

fabiodriven
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I owned Tecates for years. I never use aftermarket head gaskets, only OEM. I've seen them seep like that more than once. Eventually all of mine stopped seeping. Give it some time and keep your eyes on it. I bet it will stop.

eeq65
03-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks fabiodriven, that puts me at ease a bit. I only have about 10hrs or less on the new top end. I just keep an eye on it for now. I did just purchase an OEM gasket so that will go on if the seeping does stop soon.

hondawasaki
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree, the cooling surfaces are sealed with a fiber material gasket, most often they will swell to seal. If it does not stop, take it apart, and check the flatness of both surfaces.

Dirtcrasher
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Thank god we solved that mistery :lol:

Oh boy, where will the next generation lead us........................

eeq65
03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Yeah, sorry for the spelling. lack of sleep and 2 young kids sick with their heads in the toilet doesn't leave much time to turn the brain on all the way.

Thanks again for the help. Both surfaces were machined so I would think they would be perfectly flat.