PDA

View Full Version : Did I just ruin my trike?

ColtonGG33
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I just got my carb cleaned out put it all back together and it would not start, I checkedy spark plug and it was Burnt at the top, but here's the thing when I put the gas in it, it ended up my brother used the regular gas can and put kerosene In it?!?!? So I tried to start it with kerosene and I didn't know, so once my brother told me I emptied the gas tank cleaned out the carb again, I didn't get a chance to put it back on, is there anything else I should be worried about please help

BigRedRider85
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
never encountered that problem...if it was messed up I think my brother would be walkin around with a knot on his head for a few days. I wouldnt be to happy!

Xfile
03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't think you caused any problems, put a new spark plug in....you already emptied the tank and the carburetor so you've got that covered. Put some fresh gas in and you should be good to go.

mooseknuckle
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I think you should be fine. Just drain the tank and carb, change you spark plug and run some high test through her.

3 Wheel Drive
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Your trike should be just fine, reminds me of when I was a teen. I ran out of gas in my moms s10 and found a yellow container with fuel, it turns out that it was disel... It ran prolly 1/4 mile or so and began putting and popping.

Anyways I siphoned the disel and ran gas later on, it still runs today. Just add fresh fuel and new plug should be fine.

mooseknuckle
03-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I almost forgot, you might also want crank the engine over with the spark plug out just to clear out any kero in the cylinder.

briano
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Put gas in it and go. I ran a Honda 300 4x4 for 26 miles with 1 gal of gas and 2 gals of kerosene mixed together, it never missed a beat but smoked like crazy. At the end of the 26 mile ride it still ran just fine, just drained the tank and put gas in it

200xranger
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
your fine i know someone who did the same thing just with diesel lol it just smoked when fired for a bit.

fabiodriven
03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Just to be clear here, you're fine. And you're fine. And you should be fine.

dougspcs
03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
The kerosene might even be a pretty good top end conditioner..

Clean up some of the carbon deposits from the piston head and valves.

Like the others said you sure didn't do any lasting damage.

tri again
03-19-2013, 11:02 PM
My tractor will run on kerosene after it's warmed up on gas.

Designed that way in 1947.

Heck, I put some 2 stroke oil in my triumph when crossing the desert at 100+ degrees.

Marvels mystery oil has been used in aircraft fuel as a top end lubricant for decades.

Too bad kerosene is not common.
It used to be avail at gas stations and super cheap.
Now I only see it in cans for camp gadget fuel.

chuk85
03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
your fine, i run a kerosene/av gas/toluene mix in my bike and it runs great

ColtonGG33
03-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Ok thanks for all the help I did get really worried but I'm good :), my brother wasn't sure if it would like eat the seals and gaskets so we weren't sure about that, but I guess it doesn't

Scootertrash
03-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Just to be clear here, you're fine. And you're fine. And you should be fine.

OK, fine then.

M.Pargiello
03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Reminds me of my first car, I was stupid and not paying attention....Put antifreeze in the washer solvent tank and washer solvent in the radiator overflow......

I suck.

El Camexican
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
is there anything else I should be worried about please help

Yes, your brother. Don't let him near your stuff.

Bilster
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I did a oil change on a my mini van years ago. The Checker brand oil I used was mismarked and since I'm color blind, I managed to pour 4 quarts of ATF into it before I noticed the funny aroma of ATF. Didn't run it but enough was left in the crank case to thin my oil out almost negating the oil change.

dustrunner
03-20-2013, 12:01 PM
sounds like you need to get a lock ...between scrapping out those pistine 350x tanks and now this colton ?:wondering

Scootertrash
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes, your brother. Don't let him near your stuff.

What he said, aaaannnnddddd get him one of those nice yellow cans marked KEROSENE for his birthday so this doesn't happen again. ;)

El Camexican
03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
As long as we’re doing a “True Confessions” thread I should admit that last weekend I accidentally put Coke in my glass before the rum while making a rum and Coke. I tried to mix them with a spoon, but it just didn’t taste right.

Big G
03-20-2013, 03:21 PM
This reminds me of the time I did an oil change on an '83 ATC 200E I had a couple years ago. The trike was in very nice condition. I had just bought it, and decided to do an oil change on it. To make a long story short, I didn't complete the oil change - I just had the oil drained with the plug out. I leave it at that with plans of putting fresh oil in the following day. Well of course Murphy's law, my wife comes along the following day (who has never riden any of my trikes on her own in the past), and decides on this particular day that she's going to roll it out of the shed, flash it up, and take the kids for a ride! I get home from work, go to put oil in the trike, and noticed that it had been moved. I immediately go inside, ask my wife if she took it for a ride, and to my devastation she says "Yes" (with this look like 'what's the big deal'). I got so sick to my stomach I thought I was going to puke on the spot. Well anyways, as it turns out she just put-putted around the yard a few times and that was it. The Honda started right back up, and to this day I don't think she did any damage, but man - no oil in the engine! I ended up selling that trike a few weeks later.

Dirtcrasher
03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Crap, back in 1983 we used gramps diesel (in the 73 XR75) and it ran but smoked allot. He only got made when we stripped out the 4 footpeg bolts and broke the case with longer ones (stupid kids).

Having a full machine shop in business for 40 years, he fixed that too! :lol:

ColtonGG33
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Lol you guys are to funny, he is now banned from the shed lol, who knows he might start scrapping my trike and I wouldn't even know it :lol:

El Camexican
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Tell your brother he has a future with the Secret Service:

"The public has all but forgotten the U.S. Secret Service's Colombian prostitute scandal, but the past 24 hours have probably dredged up bad memories for the agency's PR department. One Service agent traveling with President Obama in Israel is in hot water for reportedly junking the president's heavily fortified limousine by filling it with diesel instead of gas ("This is why we bring multiple vehicles and a mechanic on all trips," says Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary.)"

keister
03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
While we are at it........
Had a bunch of mixed gas for my R leftover at the end of Imperial Invasion.
I filled up the rental Nissan Altima up with 91 and Blue Marble in the dunes before we left for the airport.
Ran like a champ back across the dessert to San Diego!