PDA

View Full Version : how to remove tri z triple clamp?

pcs
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
my tri z feels like its binding when i turn the bars full left or right. i want to take the triple clamps and look at the bearings inside but what socket do i use remove the nut under the top triple clamp, the nut that has the notches in it. tried to search here on the site but couldnt come up with anything.
thx

Dave8338
03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
There are special spanner wrenches for those however, a brass/bronze drift and a small hammer will have it off just as quick. If you don't have drift (punch) you can use a piece of hardwood. Pine or other softwood will not cut it, usually. Hope this helps. Good luck.

pcs
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
thanks, that nut looks just like one for a yamaha sport bike swing arm bolt but i dont want to spend over $30 for a socket that doesnt fit. might give the hard wood a shot if i can find a spanner that works.

tri-Z ripper
03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
i've always used a large socket with the handlebars off.

pcs
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
what kind of socket did you use to grab the notches?

pcs
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
a swing arm clamp bolt from my stock ltr 450 swinger has a square end that fits great in the boxed groove. few taps with a dead blow and it was free. bearing at the bottom was dry so cleaned it out then re packed it. the bearing on the top with the steel balls was clean but the were free with nothing holding them??? is that how it is suppose to be? cleaned them out then re packed them too.