PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to Tell you all....

speed20
12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Everyone probably remembers me having problems with my 84 200x's......one would shift into 2nd but slip and make a ratcheting noise, and the other would go into 3rd and do the same thing....but all the other gears worked great.....Well this is what the problem seemed to be...

After going through 3 of the very bottom shift forks (446R i believe thats what it had stamped on it...) something told me to check the shifting fork rod (the rod that goes through all 3 of the forks) well i rolled it on glass and it looked great....but something told me to put it in the drill press....so i did, and turned it on and WOW, that thing wobbled like a mother F'er....but i put a straight one in there and no problems since....just thought i would let you all know!

jeswinehart
12-15-2003, 06:23 AM
wow ,,, you battled those tranny problems along time.
great to hear you got it fixed,,, that's great !

john

200x Basket
12-15-2003, 06:58 AM
if you had it on flat glass and it did not tap when you rolled it then i can see how it is bent. i would believe the drill press was bent before i would believe that a bent rod would not tap on "flat" glass. jsut be sure to double check your findings before you put it back together.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-15-2003, 06:59 AM
good job man, you didnt just give up and trash it like a lot of people like to do....good for you.

200xbasket - i had a similar prob on my 84, and when i rolled the rods on a glass table they looked good, but if i got down real close and measure with something on each side as i rolled it slowly i could tell it was bent, and i did the same thing he did (drill press), and it was just a wobblin

350XXX
12-15-2003, 11:47 PM
a better option than the glass method is to take a couple of vee blocks and a dial indicator and spin the rod in the vee blocks and measure the runout. its a surefire method. thats what we do in the machine shops.

JMiller
12-16-2003, 10:52 AM
V Blocks?

Jeb
12-16-2003, 10:57 AM
V-Blocks: Precision machined blocks for holding and measuring round parts. They have a "V" cut in the top of them so round parts lay down in them and are supported on the diameter.