PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection Question

maxdallasfan
03-12-2013, 07:46 AM
I came across a really cheap 200 Big Red. Anyways, the guy said he would take $100 for it. It's beat to heck, but it's complete. The engine has compression, but that's about it.

So my question is, where do you start on getting it running? Change oil, fresh gas, fresh spark plug and give it a whirl?

Or should I start with a cdi, coil, etc? Or take the whole thing apart?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering it. I'm extremely limited on my knowledge of repairing these, so I figured I'd ask the experts before jumping into something like this.

Yamada
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Before replacing parts, pull the plug and check if it have spark. Check the wiring for cut wire. Clean the carb put and put gas in the gas tank.
A couple years ago I bought a 82 big red that was sitting in a shed for a couple of year. I think I started it without cleaning the carb, just a new spark plug.
When it started I jumped on the seat to test ride it, but I was used to the Yamaha shift patter, all gear up, so I lifted the shifter to put it in 1st gear and nothing happened. I was like WTF! blown transmission. But I remembered that Honda have odd shift pattern, so I pressed down on the shifter and I had a cheap running trike.

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I go through the entire machine soup to nuts before I bother trying to start it, but that's just me. I've had machines sit for months while I go through them before even trying to fire it once. Everyone I know says that I'm nuts but that's how I roll. I won't ride a turd anyways, so why bother trying to start it?

If you just want to hear it run, I'd highly suggest changing the oil first. You never know what's in that crank case or how long it's been there.

90guy
03-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I agree with Fabio oil first! You never know whats in it! Me I like to change oil pull the plug and check for spark if that's good pull the tank and carb clean both. If your like me I'd like to know that it runs and fictions before I dump cash into it.

falloutboy
03-13-2013, 03:26 AM
yup. fresh oil, new plug, clean the carb. fresh gas. If you plan on riding it, make sure the chain and bearings are in decent shape and that the brakes work.