PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha YT 175 owners, please chime in....

Worden18
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I haven't seen one since about 1986 or 87, but now I might have a chance to pick one up. The reasons I would consider doing so is that I had 2 friends in 1983 buy one each new. And they both beat the living hell out of those machines, and they never once quit. One of my friends pounded on his worse than the other; I mean he literally had the damn thing wide open all the time, no matter what gear he was in. And if it withstood his abuse (he had NO mercy at all), it must've been a tough machine.

I remember riding with him on the back, and riding it by myself and liking the power it had, the sound of it, etc. (At the time I had a 1980 KX 80 with a 100 racing head, so I wasn't new to 2 strokes). But I've never owned a 2 stroke 3 wheeler myself.

Questions for you owners. Is there any known problems? How is the parts availability? Why do you own one? How long have you had it? Can you post some pics? I just want to hear what other people have to say, whether it's good or bad. Thanks :beer

One more question: What years were they made?

ColtonGG33
03-11-2013, 10:17 PM
If you have any questions about it, you should contact old-yellow he knows a hole lot about them, If I knew stuff about it I would help you, but I'm not to familiar with those

Vealmonkey
03-11-2013, 10:45 PM
They are alot of fun. There are alot of mods you can do as well. With some luck, you can find some of the old hop up parts. I had one with a bolt on rear suspension kit, which is the best improvement you can do for the trike. Also, you can mod a ytm 200 front end to work, which is nicer than the standard yt175 front suspension. You can also add manual shift, but the parts can be a pain to source. Parts are getting harder to find for all trikes. I do have a set of nos rear fenders and a nos seat though. You can not find a complete carb rebuild kit, you will have to get all the pieces seperate if you want to rebuild your carb. Make sure to get a factory service manual, very helpful. Have fun and best of luck.

Worden18
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully some others will give their opinions. I may PM oldyellow

Highhorse78
03-11-2013, 11:17 PM
I also had a friend that owned one when I was younger. First trike I had ever ridden. The machine I have now was picked up last fall as what you might consider a basket case. Probably could have rode it the way it was, but it was a ticking timebomb filled with homebrew enginuity and an aweful yellow rattle can paintjob that made my eyes sore. So over the winter I completely rebuilt the motor, clutch and just about everything else along with some extra plastics that I restored. Along the way I also added a few performance mods. Tonight was actually the first time I was able to go out and ride it, had a blast riding it in the snow. Its still far from being broke in, so I'll have to wait a bit to open it up.

You're absolutly right about these things being a hard breed to kill. You should have seen the con rod I pulled out, it was a wonder it even ran. The parts availability for these machines is amazing, the only part I wasnt able to find was the output shaft collar that goes behind the front sprocket. I'll just have to make one. Aside from the years of neglect and stupidity, there have not been any real problems that I have come across.

Heres some fresh pics for your enjoyment (still dripping)

Worden18
03-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks for sharing Highhorse. I appreciate the info. Your trike is just sick! Nice job on it. Seeing things like your 175 really makes one see the passion everyone has for these machines. Have fun with it :beer

old-yellow
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the forum and just like everyone said there hard to kill, i do prefer the 1982-1985 models better then i do like the 1980-1981 models, the reason is they use a bigger chain (1980-1981 428 chain size) (1982-1985 520 chain size) and it is way easier to adjust then the earlier models i also prefer the shift pattern on the later models more then i do the earlier models. (1980-1981 1N2345) (1982-1985 N12345)

Highhorse78
03-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for sharing Highhorse. I appreciate the info. Your trike is just sick! Nice job on it. Seeing things like your 175 really makes one see the passion everyone has for these machines. Have fun with it :beer

Thanks for the comments, I really appriciate it!

The YT175 was produced from 82-83, while the YT125 spanned from 80-85. Not sure why they ceased production of the 175 in 83... But of the two years they made them, the 83 model would be the one to get. Threres really nothing wrong with the 82, Yamaha just made a few improvements for the 83 model year. I've managed to snag most of those updates off my parts trike and use them on my 82. Things like steel brake housing (83) vs. plastic (82), rear caliper bracket/arm ect.. The big one is the clutch assembly. The 83 primary gear (larger), clutch basket (deeper, with smaller ring gear), hub (deeper), shift arm (longer), oil pump gear (smaller for larger primary gear) and housing (deeper) are different. Everything was changed due to the addition of a steel spacer in the clutch basket and a slightly different output ratio. I didnt get a chance to ride the trike with the 82 components, but Im sure the differance is there.

Post up some pics if you end up bringing her home.

old-yellow
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey worden18 check this thread out http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/86220-Pro-Tec-175-Beginning?highlight=pro-tec this is what Vealmonkey is talking about.

Worden18
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok, thanks again Highhorse and old-yellow. These things are good to know. I saved VealMonkey's thread in my favorites :D

I'll let everyone know if I do indeed pick the 175 up.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a 175 and love riding it. I rebuilt the top end and had no problem getting parts for it. It runs great and always starts when I want it to, so I would say that they are pretty reliable for booting around on.

the great gazoo
03-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Rear suspension's nice, but hard to find & pricey......

RubberSalt
03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
I've gotton 2 motors for my 175. both had stock bores, some what loose. I'd say I got them both in 2009 or so. The first had a bad rod

I rebuilt 1 into a hot rod, ported, higher comp, 1 size over, with a home made custom pipe. It last about 2 years before I put the high comp head on. About 1 hour after that. It shattered the piston. after puling it apart, I noticed the rod was loose.

After further reading I now understand these have somewhat of a weak big end bearing. Mine may have been loose also

I ran WOT every time I touch it. - Dunes