PDA

View Full Version : 250R waterpump diagnostics?

yaegerb
03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi All,
I am changing out the clutch basket, plates springs etc. While I have the right case cover off I was wondering if there is any way to tell if the waterpump needs to be rebuilt? I figure it would be a lot easier to do now while I have it off. I turned the impeller shaft and it doesn't spin freely...are they not suppose to?

Thanks all in advance!

Flyingw
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Either the mechanical seal work or it doesnt. not much in between. If it is bad, coolant will leak from the TELL hole on the bottom of the pump. Changing the mechanical seal is fairly easy and no, the shft wont spin free with the impeller still attached to the shaft because of the pressure between the impeller and the mechanical seal.

yaegerb
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Either the mechanical seal work or it doesnt. not much in between. If it is bad, coolant will leak from the TELL hole on the bottom of the pump. Changing the mechanical seal is fairly easy and no, the shft wont spin free with the impeller still attached to the shaft because of the pressure between the impeller and the mechanical seal.

Cool, thanks Jim. I looked at the tell hole and there was no coolant leaking from it. Good to know its not suppose to spin freely. I guess its OK then?

hondawasaki
03-10-2013, 11:29 PM
It's all speculation from here across the internet, but if you're worried about it, My recommendation is throw a seal in it. They aren't very expensive, and it can't hurt. (unless installed incorrectly.)

Flyingw
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I agree with honda

yaegerb
03-10-2013, 11:56 PM
makes sense, thanks guys!

ceaserthethird
03-11-2013, 07:34 AM
I vote for install New Seal, You'll be good for another 25 years =)

( Someone posted a thread on how to install with pictures, Not sure where it went though )