PDA

View Full Version : Timing light atc four stroke

nicker71
03-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Can someone explain to me how to check the ignition timing on a honda 4 stroke with a timing light? I couldnt find anything with the search fuction. I need to check my 110 and 200, because Im not sure what else it could be. Thanks

dustrunner
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
im pretty sure you hook your light up to the plug wire and pull the timing cap and start it and when it flashes it should be on the mark and arrow... what is your problem ?

hoosierlogger
03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
the proper technique can be found in the service manual. Click the link to get your own free copy.

nicker71
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
the proper technique can be found in the service manual. Click the link to get your own free copy.

I already have the service manuals, but I didnt see much info about how to properly use the gun. I might have missed it and I'll look at it again.

hoosierlogger
03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
You will need a 12 volt car, truck, or motorcycle battery to power the timing light and the clamp on the light goes on the plug wire. The timing light will flash every time the cylinder fires when the trigger is held in. Thus providing a flash of light to see the timing mark with in the timing hole.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Basically you would do it the exact same way as checking timing on an automotive engine that has old school distributor ignition.. Except if your trike is not e-start and equipped with a battery you will need to supply some sort of 12v battery to power the light.. Just as Hoosierlogger said.

On a 110, there is a timing plug facing the front of the machine on the recoil side of the engine in the crankcase. It's about the size of a quarter and a large common screwdriver will remove it. Once that timing sight hole plug is removed you will shine the timing light in there and just like an automotive engine, you will/should be able to see the timing mark on the flywheel line up with the timing mark on the crankcase.

If you need to adjust it, remove the ignition cover from the side of the head to expose the pulse generator. You will notice 2 screws retaining the plate the pulse generator is mounted on, loosen the 2 screws to turn the plate to bring timing in where it should be. I recommend shutting the engine off when adjusting the ignition plate, the rotor on the end of the cam that trips the pulse generator is fully exposed and primed to skin knuckles if you try to adjust the timing with the engine running. Just make an adjustment, snug the retaineing screws, fire it up and check with the timing light.... repeat as needed till you get the timing set correctly.

nicker71
03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Basically you would do it the exact same way as checking timing on an automotive engine that has old school distributor ignition.. Except if your trike is not e-start and equipped with a battery you will need to supply some sort of 12v battery to power the light.. Just as Hoosierlogger said.

On a 110, there is a timing plug facing the front of the machine on the recoil side of the engine in the crankcase. It's about the size of a quarter and a large common screwdriver will remove it. Once that timing sight hole plug is removed you will shine the timing light in there and just like an automotive engine, you will/should be able to see the timing mark on the flywheel line up with the timing mark on the crankcase.

If you need to adjust it, remove the ignition cover from the side of the head to expose the pulse generator. You will notice 2 screws retaining the plate the pulse generator is mounted on, loosen the 2 screws to turn the plate to bring timing in where it should be. I recommend shutting the engine off when adjusting the ignition plate, the rotor on the end of the cam that trips the pulse generator is fully exposed and primed to skin knuckles if you try to adjust the timing with the engine running. Just make an adjustment, snug the retaineing screws, fire it up and check with the timing light.... repeat as needed till you get the timing set correctly.

Thank you, I understand completely, this is much simplier than I thought. I guess I just didnt understand how the timing light worked, but there isnt anything to it. I'll get it checked next weekend. Thanks again!

RIDE-RED 250r
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
No problem.

And just in case you have never used a timing light in the past....After re-reading my post above, I noticed I failed to tell you that you check timing with the engine running.. So, keep that in mind, hook up timing light to battery and clamp arounf sparkplug wire. Start engine, aim timing light into the timing sight hole and pull the trigger on the timing light. At that time you should see the timing marks every time the light flashes. If it is out of adjustment, determine if you need to advance, or retard timing, then shut off the engine, make a small adjustment to the ignition plate, re-fire the engine and check.

Also, check it at an idle. I am not sure, but I think timing does advance on these little engines with increased RPM. Set timing at idle. Thats what I did with my 110 and it works great. :)