PDA

View Full Version : The 3 wheeler market is changing..get them while they're hot fellas!!

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Over the last couple of years I've enjoyed cruising pretty constantly thru CL and Kijiji for my next score..

I must say that things have changed a great deal in that time. There seems to be a genuine return to popularity of the three wheeler.

While I think is cool, it also mean that they are getting harder to find and more expensive to buy. If a nice clean one shows up on the web overnight you can bet there are already 5 people in line to see it when you email the seller in the morning!!

You need to be faster and willing to pay more..anyone looking to add machines had best be quick on the draw!!

I think this spring when the ATCs come out of the shed and hit the web it's gonna be a mad scramble!!

Good for guys like Bill, if he ever decides to remove the padlock and sell some of his collection..but bad for people looking to start a collection..

At least that is my prediction..if it was stocks, I'd have a bunch of it bought. Cuz the value is going thru the roof in the next few years..it's started already.

Happy hunting fellas!

90guy
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Totally agree! Prices are going up around here and getting harder to find a good deal. People are thinking there machines are gold and in 8-10 in condition when in fact there a 4. Sure I like the fact there getting popular! But I also hate it. There getting harder and harder to come by here in nd.

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I've watched prices skyrocket myself. It's bound to happen as the machines get older. When all is said and done with my 85 YTM 225DRN build, I'll be into that machine for over $1500 and it's just going to be a clean rider brought back to stock. It is what it is now.

dustrunner
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
ya, while i been down with injuries ive been hammering cl and you are so correct = the atc's just arent coming up for sale much.... we lost 2 factories this year and usually that bring things out of the woodwork... still waiting ....

yamaha225dr
03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
The 250r I just bought was on Craigslist less then twelve hours when I called the seller. It was 9:00a.m. and there were other buyers "supposedly" on there way to look at it, one of which lived a few hours away! I left the house right then and went to check it out. I ended up getting a 1 owner 85 model for $1,500. There was another one on Craigslist for $1,200 but it had been ridden hard and put away wet, the day after I bought mine another one popped up for $2,500 but it was a really nice trike though but not worth the price in my opinion. I know where a Tecate 3 is sitting in a barn but the guy will not sell it though.

redsox
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
agreed. i was just having this same discussion. i think we are on the verge of an explosion. one trike appearance in a pop culture movie (hangover type exposure) and they'll double in value. I also agree it is good and bad. but, like anything else in the market. it will pass.

M.Pargiello
03-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I have seen it myself, good luck finding an R in decent shape for less than $1,500!

People think they are worth their weight in gold now, but if the buyers pay it, then they must be haha

Big G
03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Dang...my worst fears have come true. Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted!

redsox
03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
this topic led to the question, "When were the fewest trikes?" it can't be now, right? we must be on the comeback trail. there are countless trike rebuilds on here everyday, and, dare I say, fewer and fewer people riding them to destruction. if you look at just basic supply and demand, supply is also rising. Granted, demand is climbing much faster, so thats where you get your price spike. but hell, from where i'm sitting, more demand will equal more trikes (one way or another) and thats a good thing.

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
The real problem is that there will always be prejudice against these machines..as a result no major manufacturer will ever again take the chance at tooling up to build them, just to have the rug pulled out from under.

Therefore what we have now is all there will ever be!! Sorry to poke your logic 'redsox', but supply isn't rising. The existing machines sitting in sheds and barns are being flushed out..when they are all found that will all.

What made me start this thread was an incident that just happened locally on Kijiji.

A woman posted that she had a 'Honda Big Red' for sale for $500 as the farm was being sold.

She posted no other information..year, model unknown, just that it was in non-running condition from sitting for many years. The add went up at 11:30PM and I spotted it at 7:30 am..the add was 8 hours old.

When I emailed, she responded that she had already received 6 other responses..some offering to buy sight unseen.

We didn't even know what it was..of course if it was a 250ES it would have been a steal and I would have been 1st in line, but an older 200E. Not so much..

That much excitement over a machine that no one really knew what was..crazy!!

oldtime3wheeler
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Around me in Pa prices have jumped. A few years back a rider atc70 was $150-$250. 350x's were $800-$1250 for nice riders. Now 70's are going $500-$1000(atleast that's what people are asking) and larger bikes like 250es's are being advertised for $1500-$2000 and 350x' for$1250-$2500. Any R's I see are even more.
Glad I got my toys cheap. All I need is a nice SX and I will be happy.
Have to find the unadvertised barn finds for deals now!

oldskool83
03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
yeah old new cool again...once they are 50 years old no one will want them again.

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
I can see where redsox is coming from. Less and less are being thrown away or scrapped and there are more and more conversions being completed by the day. I could see the numbers stabilizing at some point.

redsox
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
doug, i'm not talking barn finds. obviously those are fewer and fewer by the day as more enthusiasts search for a dwindling supply.. I mean running trikes. I'd wager that there are more running trikes in this country now then ten years ago. how many "another one saved" threads have there been? you, yourself, doug. how many have you saved, and brought back to life?

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
doug, i'm not talking barn finds. obviously those are fewer and fewer by the day as more enthusiasts search for a dwindling supply.. I mean running trikes. I'd wager that there are more running trikes in this country now then ten years ago. how many "another one saved" threads have there been? you, yourself, doug. how many have you saved, and brought back to life?

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment..

Good point!!

ATC-Eric
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
I think the big problem is pure ignorance, not scarcity. People are convinced that the prices that they see on Craigslist are what these machines are really worth. You see people in my area asking $2800 for 250r's that arent worth over $1500 in my educated opinion. You get the uninformed person that just puts up with these prices, and pays them. That feeds this negative cycle that in turn feeds people into believing that thats what they are worth. Then when people turn around to sell them they ask the same high prices believing that they are in the right. Its a viscous cycle that is feeding itself.

110klt
03-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I have my 200x and it will be hard to pry it away from me at this point and time. But as father time ticks away and my son moves on to college or just grows up and moves on with his life I will loose my riding partner. But hey as I chip away at this bike and cherry it out someone will have to pay a good buck to step right into a cherry bike. I paid $700 and immidiatly put a new chutch in it. I figure a new top end, plastics, and other goodies no less than $1500-$2000 to the next guy.

hawaiirider
03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
not here on the oregon coast (dunes) theres alot left and they go cheap, you here them on the radio ads all the time for super cheap. the people who are buying them and spend alot are using them for nostalgic purposes (not riding them to potential at all) and want them really nice, kinda sux. ive seen a few guys ridn trikes in the dunes but mostly just puttin around. alot of people think there cool, but very few ride them for what i see in them - awesome handling! -

Buck Snort
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Where I am at in Canada prices have been high for years and I think they will rise more. I have a hard time not buying everything that I think is a good deal . I havn't seen a 200x in over a year for sale close to me.

gus
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Found this R Seems to be in pretty good shape for the asking price. http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/3661961597.html

muthey
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I know where an almost pristine 250r is that might go up for sale soon for 1200$ really low hours and all original, it is an airfooler though not a liquid r

jdm97ek4
03-07-2013, 06:06 PM
yeah im thinking of selling both of my 350x headlight guards they are pulling 250-300 bucks a pop

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
250ES and 350X are the big ticket items here in Ontario..

I sold a really clean 86 350x last year for $3000 and a clean 85 250ES for $1800.

That was when I was grabbing them in Michigan for 1/2 that..but since then the lower Michigan prices have come to the same price range.

Unlike Eric, I think the higher prices are fed by demand not ignorance..with popularity on the up and more people seeking the price in bound to go up.

When 7 people email a lady about her 'Honda Big Red' on Kijiji before 7:30AM there are obviously alot of hunters out there!

gus
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Found another one http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/3665826298.html

ATC-Eric
03-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Unlike Eric, I think the higher prices are fed by demand not ignorance..with popularity on the up and more people seeking the price in bound to go up.

Of course prices are fed by demand, I know this, I am schooled in economics. What I said was that consumers are feeding into outlandish asking prices, which in turn feeds the false idea of what these bikes are worth. All I have to do is look at my local craigslist to see it. The same overpriced machines that just sit there for months going unsold, until that one person comes along and takes the bait.

And then you have people that say its worth as much as someone will pay, please keep that out of this discussion.

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Of course prices are fed by demand, I know this, I am schooled in economics. What I said was that consumers are feeding into outlandish asking prices, which in turn feeds the false idea of what these bikes are worth. All I have to do is look at my local craigslist to see it. The same overpriced machines that just sit there for months going unsold, until that one person comes along and takes the bait.

And then you have people that say its worth as much as someone will pay, please keep that out of this discussion.

You say you are schooled in economics, yet you renounce the rules of supply and demand..

Dude you are not making any sense!!

ATC-Eric
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Sigh. My opinion here is based on price, not demand. Im upset because people think thier machines are worth more then they are. Thats it. Im discussing asking prices.

the great gazoo
03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I've got mixed feelings. Parts, especially NOS/OE parts are getting high, but there's still a lot of complete bikes, rollers, parts bikes, etc. that I run across all the time for really cheap-I just grabbed an '86 SX for 2 clams with front and rear racks(yes, I'm planning on p/c for both), H/L guard(all 3 Hondaline), and some weird foot/brush guard things(are these Hondaline?). Oh, and a functioning head light and tail light, so I made out. There's also a complete running '85 SX for 500 near me that looks pretty good. I'm always searching like all you guys are, so there are deals out there, you just gotta find them and get over to them. 9 times outta 10 I grab what I went to look at. .

ChrisD
03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I always laugh at posts like this. Why do you complain if prices go up? I think it's funny that many of you, like me, love 3 wheelers, but I don't understand why everyone bashes the pricing. My opinion is there has always been a serious mispricing in these machines due to the fear factor. Prices should go up. They should go up to the opting where they are worth more alive than dead. Unfortunately, a clean 250R with a lot of origional parts can be bought and parted out for a profit. I don't like that. I have pride in my bikes and are priceless to me......well that and I could never get my money back on them as I have a lot in them....lol!

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I think you are ignoring the fact that there are far more buyers in the market than a couple years ago. I used to see machines sitting in the $700-800 range where they sat untouched for a week or more..I could hum and hah about it then decide if I really wanted it.

Now in order to have a fighting chance at scores like that I have to call at 8 in the morning..

No dispute that the price is going up because there are more people after the same machine! The douchebag asking rediculous prices is just a blip on the radar, not the cause of the price increase.

83 200e
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Totally agree! Prices are going up around here and getting harder to find a good deal. People are thinking there machines are gold and in 8-10 in condition when in fact there a 4. Sure I like the fact there getting popular! But I also hate it. There getting harder and harder to come by here in nd.

They are getting harder to find, and they do think theyre worth a million bucks

honda4h
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
well i'm looking to build a new shop. it's time to cash in 3-250es. 2-atc 70s. 1 plain honda 200. yamaha 200e. and a crap load of parts and parts bikes. redoing trikes are costing more and more. i love doing it but by the time you buy it,fix it,and labor. allot of guys just wont pay what it's worth and do not appreciate it. i always get the classic it's just a old 3 wheeler. i will give you a $100. even its a nice 250 big red in very nice shape. of course that's one id have on the lawn for sale 10- 20 guys stopping. thinking i'm out of my mind looking to get $1200.

dougspcs
03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
well i'm looking to build a new shop. it's time to cash in 3-250es. 2-atc 70s. 1 plain honda 200. yamaha 200e. and a crap load of parts and parts bikes. redoing trikes are costing more and more. i love doing it but by the time you buy it,fix it,and labor. allot of guys just wont pay what it's worth and do not appreciate it. i always get the classic it's just a old 3 wheeler. i will give you a $100. even its a nice 250 big red in very nice shape. of course that's one id have on the lawn for sale 10- 20 guys stopping. thinking i'm out of my mind looking to get $1200.

around these parts you're definitely not out of your mind to ask $1200..I think we need to talk!

sledcrazyinCT
03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Gus that 250R with white plastics is a good deal for $1400

samuraiguys
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Ya id like to buy that one for $1400 , cant find anything that nice in PA for that price. Even with shipping would still be a deal

Badbmwbrad
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm located in southeast Massachusetts; near the coastline. I've been looking in Craigslist for ATC's since last Christmas. They are few and far between. Prices seem to be much higher than the mint-condition $300 trikes I keep reading about here...

Louis Mielke
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Look guys, and ill probably have people arguing with me. Replacing wearable parts in no way adds value to your machine. "I replaced the clutch that should be worth something to the next guy"

Sorry, wrong answer. #1. The next guy has to take your word for it, even if you have receipts he has to take your word that the work was done well and that you haven't already wore it out again

#2. Wearable parts are wearable parts. When shopping for a bike I start at a price I'm willing to pay for a machine in good working order, well taken care of. needs brakes? Cha-Ching, prices goes down, needs a clutch? Price goes down. I'm not willing to pay more cause something is in good shape IE taken care of, I pay less when something hasn't been taken care of.

#3. Your new parts aren't new once they've been installed, they're new when they're in the package. Sorry but once it's on the machine it's used. You got new parts to add to the deal? Sure price goes up, but you've already installed them? Ugh, that might be work I have to undo. Price going down.

It's just the way it is.

tri again
03-08-2013, 03:14 AM
I posted something about the lack of trikes a few months ago.
Maybe a movie came out and is making them popular??

87 250es 200$ needed 2 days of clean up, valve adjust and carb nightmare
85 250es 175$ needed side cover gasket for baaaad oil leak and funny fuse trouble.
85 250es Traded a 200x that needed swing bearings, unpredictable spark paid 200$
85 250sx with factory racks, needed gas tank and 1/2 day of spiffing 175$
85 250 sx 500$ actually started and runs great. Need to adjust valves for ticking.
85 250sx complETELY beat, busted plastics, pumper carb runs great 200$

Now I haven't seen anything since last summer.

dougspcs
03-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Look guys, and ill probably have people arguing with me. Replacing wearable parts in no way adds value to your machine. "I replaced the clutch that should be worth something to the next guy"

Sorry, wrong answer. #1. The next guy has to take your word for it, even if you have receipts he has to take your word that the work was done well and that you haven't already wore it out again

#2. Wearable parts are wearable parts. When shopping for a bike I start at a price I'm willing to pay for a machine in good working order, well taken care of. needs brakes? Cha-Ching, prices goes down, needs a clutch? Price goes down. I'm not willing to pay more cause something is in good shape IE taken care of, I pay less when something hasn't been taken care of.

#3. Your new parts aren't new once they've been installed, they're new when they're in the package. Sorry but once it's on the machine it's used. You got new parts to add to the deal? Sure price goes up, but you've already installed them? Ugh, that might be work I have to undo. Price going down.

It's just the way it is.

Totally agree..there are constantly people posting saying 'over $1000 in parts alone in the last year'.

Most of the time it's a 200s or something then they are asking $1200 or something stupid..in my region a decent running 200s is worth $800 tops..no matter what you spent in parts. That is totally on you!!

The other side of this discussion is buying a cheap trike that needs alot of work and thinking it will still be a deal once fixed up..

My brother has been hot to trott for a 250ES for a couple years now, his wife is not really cool with him spending the money..so he's been looking at any $400 special he sees then sends me pics asking if he should buy it.

Since he knows little about them mechanically I am his sounding board..anyway I have been beating him in the head since the beginning to buy to spend $1500 and get a clean trike.

Buy a $400 trike that needs tires, exhaust, suspension, tank is rusted...etc and bringing it back to the state you want it is more money than buying a clean machine!

He is just now starting to understand this equation..restoring a trike is done out of love, there is no economic benefit to buying a cheap machine that needs a fix up.

Still there are those out there that love a deal!! Lord knows I've picked up a few..we call then beaters or parts trikes.

bkm
03-08-2013, 07:37 AM
doug, i'm not talking barn finds. obviously those are fewer and fewer by the day as more enthusiasts search for a dwindling supply.. I mean running trikes. I'd wager that there are more running trikes in this country now then ten years ago. how many "another one saved" threads have there been? you, yourself, doug. how many have you saved, and brought back to life?I disagree. For every one that is saved ten are parted out and sold on ebay and sites like this. The simple fact is if they are mostly original and in good shape they are worth more in parts than as a whole bike. Lots of guys are picking up on this selling them off in pieces. Ten years ago you could by low hour 250r's for 1k all day long. Now you can't touch nice oem plastics for that and guys know it, so they part them out.

dougspcs
03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I disagree. For every one that is saved ten are parted out and sold on ebay and sites like this. The simple fact is if they are mostly original and in good shape they are worth more in parts than as a whole bike. Lots of guys are picking up on this selling them off in pieces. Ten years ago you could by low hour 250r's for 1k all day long. Now you can't touch nice oem plastics for that and guys know it, so they part them out.

It's a sad truth..these things are worth more dead than alive!!

It will only serve to dwindle the number of complete machines more quickly..it's both the cause of the problem and saviour of our exsisting machines.

Ironic!!!

bkm
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
A quick check on ebay revealed 32, 81-86 250r frames. That means 32 less running bikes in the world that were probably whole running bikes 10 years ago.

ktmcrasher
03-08-2013, 08:11 AM
As one is parted out another is reborn. If people didnt brake them spare parts would be a nightmare. I bet a lot of them were donor bikes as well so it's a worthy sacrifice if two dead bikes can make 1 good runner

bkm
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
As one is parted out another is reborn. If people didnt brake them spare parts would be a nightmare. I bet a lot of them were donor bikes as well so it's a worthy sacrifice if two dead bikes can make 1 good runnerAgreed, but that proves my point that there are less today then 10 years ago. Simple fact is, things do not become more expensive if there is more of that thing to pass aound. Plus there are a lot of hoarders who will buy good parts and sit on them. All the bikes parted do not 100% go to help to save others in need. Plus with scrap metal prices soaring a few years ago, guys were taking old junkers in by the truck loads and cashing them in. Simple logic will tell you that a machine that was last produced in 1987 and before will have less numbers as time goes on. Its really that simple.

There will even be a time in the future when the Trike Utopia of out west will dry up and the canibals will have to find a new victim to make $$ off of. Ask Gear Heads if they thought 25 years ago that 55-57 Chevy's would be dried up and gone.

Hell nice 87-93 5.0 Mustangs are getting harder to find and going for more $$ than just a few years ago.

pipeline triker
03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I am in the vintage snowmobile bussiness, I have a large supply of sleds and parts. Trikes are kinda personal to me but I do buy and sell some, I have parted out ones that should have been rebuilt but they are worth so much in pieces. I am seeing alot of trx 250R's for sale in WI, lots of people are parting them out because they can not sell them whole, for what a few $$ parts are worth. Guess what almost everone that I have talked to that is parting out the 250R quads, said that people were buying the parts to fix there trikes. My self included. Vintage sleds has become super popular, racey type sleds are off the charts for what they are selling for, and trikes are next. I had a # of people that bought trikes from me this past year say the reason for them wanting a trike was that they had one, or knew someone growing up that had one, and had so much fun they wanted to relive that joy with there kids. It is good for the sport, in the long run. Yes, stuff will cost more but the idiots that get trikes because they are old just to destroy them will dwindle.

90guy
03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I am in the vintage snowmobile bussiness, I have a large supply of sleds and parts. Trikes are kinda personal to me but I do buy and sell some, I have parted out ones that should have been rebuilt but they are worth so much in pieces. I am seeing alot of trx 250R's for sale in WI, lots of people are parting them out because they can not sell them whole, for what a few $$ parts are worth. Guess what almost everone that I have talked to that is parting out the 250R quads, said that people were buying the parts to fix there trikes. My self included. Vintage sleds has become super popular, racey type sleds are off the charts for what they are selling for, and trikes are next. I had a # of people that bought trikes from me this past year say the reason for them wanting a trike was that they had one, or knew someone growing up that had one, and had so much fun they wanted to relive that joy with there kids. It is good for the sport, in the long run. Yes, stuff will cost more but the idiots that get trikes because they are old just to destroy them will dwindle.
Woooo Someone else into the vintage sleds! lol Do you sell parts or jsut whole sleds? Just curious always looking for someone to buy parts from when I need them!. I agree They want there kids to know what it was like when they where growing up!

atcquebec
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
I am glad that prices went up because i am planing seeling alls my trikes (30)
As i am getting older and my trikes are sitting in my garage taking place and collecting dust.
They alls have originals plastic and they are extra plastic.
All i want is my money back that i paid for them......so with the price going up, it should be easy to get my money back
:)

fabiodriven
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/150973-how-do-you-guys-park-your-trikes?p=1192514#post1192514

Buck Snort
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Completly awesome collection atcquebec

redsox
03-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I disagree. For every one that is saved ten are parted out and sold on ebay and sites like this. The simple fact is if they are mostly original and in good shape they are worth more in parts than as a whole bike. Lots of guys are picking up on this selling them off in pieces. Ten years ago you could by low hour 250r's for 1k all day long. Now you can't touch nice oem plastics for that and guys know it, so they part them out.

Flawed thinking, in my opinion. ten years ago, trikes were given away. old, unsafe, relics that had been sitting in the yard/shed/barn/under a tarp, rusting and taking up space. ("why dont you just get a four wheeler?" ugh!!) why are parts expensive? why are machine prices going up? because more people want them. people are not paying top dollar for a tank/headlight/fender to throw on a pile of junk. they're building or restoring something that didn't run before. of the ten (your number) that are parted out, how many are viable runners?? not many. people love em, and each day more non-runners are turned into viable machines then viable machines are turned into parts. this is undeniably MORE OVERALL RUNNING TRIKES. Now, i will concede that the "ten years" time frame is a broad estimate on my part. i'd be willing to hear opinion. maybe three years, maybe five. i dont know. my hypothesis remains, we are through the valley. whether its a 15 year old kid with a rattle-can rebuild, or custom monsters that i drool over every day on here, all are MORE running trikes then the day before.

bkm
03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
We'll just agree to disagree on this one. Your looking at the world through 3ww colored glasses and its not an accurate perception of the real world. Where I ride at, 10 years ago trikes were even scarce at best and its a state park with thousands of people who ride over the course of a weekend. Now days unless a group ride is put together through a website you'll be lucky to see four of them over the course of a busy weekend. You also ask how many viable runners are parted out? Have you seen all of the pristine machines that the guys out west are parting out? There's no money in parting out a junker, trust me I've been there. Hell I've parted 5 bikes in the last 3 years that I know for a fact were runners ten years ago, but were so clapped out by the time I got them it wasn't worth saving them.

If there is money to be made on an item everyone will try and cash in. Craigslist is the easiest and cheapest (free) way to make that happen and on my local craigslist, trikes have really dried up over the last couple of years. Even the less popular models are less common.

honda4h
03-09-2013, 12:53 AM
what the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro do you do? pay to play.every one here will pay the price to keep there bike going. it's 2013 we are still in the 80's and love it. it's amazing that some parts aftermarket still made. drive em hard and keep em wet. throw some money at em. and they will treat you right. sometimes. ha ha

kormos_93
03-09-2013, 03:05 AM
I agree. I posted my 83 110 for sale a few hours ago for $750 & I had an inbox full of messages within the first couple hours. Didn't think it would be that popular.....But I think I'm asking enough for it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-1983-Honda-ATC-110-W0QQAdIdZ463213835

redsox
03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I can agree to disagree. i'm out west right now, thinking about this, and i'm wondering if its regional. Prices are low, low out here, and machines seem to be in much better condition. i know that a machine that sits for a few years in the northeast, outside, deteriorates rapidly into "parts." it doesn't look like the same is true in the Phoenix area. A "viable runner" is therefore an easier thing to come by than in a different climate. Flashback ten years and there were possibly many, many more. Maybe warm climate places are just now reaching their 3-wheeler shelf life. ??? The world is a big place, but, looking through my little lens, i see more than ten years ago, in the northeast anyway..

bkm
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
I can agree to disagree. i'm out west right now, thinking about this, and i'm wondering if its regional. Prices are low, low out here, and machines seem to be in much better condition. i know that a machine that sits for a few years in the northeast, outside, deteriorates rapidly into "parts." it doesn't look like the same is true in the Phoenix area. A "viable runner" is therefore an easier thing to come by than in a different climate. Flashback ten years and there were possibly many, many more. Maybe warm climate places are just now reaching their 3-wheeler shelf life. ??? The world is a big place, but, looking through my little lens, i see more than ten years ago, in the northeast anyway..That is where all of the good parts come from. I've always said one day I'm going to take two weeks, a couple grand, an empty truck, and head out west.

ChrisD
03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
http://smd.craigslist.org/mcy/3632433822.html

How's this for prices going up?

Big G
03-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I am glad that prices went up because i am planing seeling alls my trikes (30)
As i am getting older and my trikes are sitting in my garage taking place and collecting dust.
They alls have originals plastic and they are extra plastic.
All i want is my money back that i paid for them......so with the price going up, it should be easy to get my money back
:)

Nooooo! atcquebec are you serious...you're selling your collection? Dang, that must be tough for you to do. You have the sweetest collection of trikes on this planet. But I hear where you're coming from...a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. Thanks for sharing pics of your stable while it lasted! :beer

hatc200x1
03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah its getting bad. There was a 250r down south of me a ways and my dad was down there for a business trip. The ad was on for less then 3 hours and my dad was like 15 mins away from the guys house and it had sold! I was so mad!!!!!!

Vealmonkey
03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
The market is constantly changing. It seemed like the way it was years ago, that more people liked stock type trikes and alot of aftermarket stuff could be had for really great prices. Only a few people like the aftermarket frames and such, unless it was for a 250r, which stuff has always been popular. Now adays, more people are interested in aftermarket frames and parts for the 90/110 and pickup whatever they can to at least sell or trade with later. There are still some interesting machines floating around, but with the internet, more and more people are aware of what they have or more people are aware of what they find, which is both good and bad. I do like the fact that more people have taken it upon themselves to remake bits and pieces that are long since gone, which does make it nice to keep alot of the machines going. Some trikes have always commanded higher prices though.

christph
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I would argue prices are going up. I bought my Tecates in the early 2000s for around 1400 bucks each (averaging them). Today, if I posted them on ebay and they were in the same condition (I have since restored them and added lots of goodies), I think they could reach 2500 to 3000. In fact, a cherry 86 Tecate just went on ebay for 4500. Why prices are going up can probably be explained by a number of factors. The people that grew up on them are going through their nostalgic phase of life (midlife crisis?) and have a little more money. Ebay and Craigslist have brought these machines to a much wider audience and have led to bidding wars (hell, for most of my machines I had to drive several states away to pick them up). The quad market hit its peak back in 2008 and people are looking for a unique ride. And finally, websites like this one and others help to create online communities and renew interest. I'm sure there are other reasons.

teamboaty
03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
When I dont have a 3 wheeler is when I want them to be worth nothing, but I have 2 real nice big reds now, the 85 250es that I bought in the dark for $1200, Its nice but 8-10 years ago I would have only given $500 for. Then I got my 86 250es that I just got last fall from the original owner who only used it to pull his ice fishing shanty. I gave $1000 for it. maybe would have been around $800 10 yrs ago but its a real nice machine. It would take double what I gave for it for me to sell it now. And my latest 350x that Im sure I overspent on, I gave $2300 and all you guys said it was too nice to ride and that I should put the factory plastics on a shelf. So I listened to yall and I just hit the $3000 mark on it so ya Id say that if you want a nice machine, your gonna pay for it. What erks me a little bit is now I just got my new maier plastics in and theres a couple sets of rear fenders with the skirt on FEEBAY right now pretty cheap. Oh well, its only money.

sledcrazyinCT
03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Woooo Someone else into the vintage sleds! lol Do you sell parts or just whole sleds? Just curious always looking for someone to buy parts from when I need them!. I agree They want there kids to know what it was like when they where growing up!

I currently own over 70 leaf spring sleds and have parted well over 500 machines over the past decade. I am looking to sell off some nice projects that should not be stripped down for parts because I am of the belief once they are gone no one is making anymore of them. So 90 Guy if you are looking for some spare parts to keep the irondogs going drop me a PM:lol:

Prices are on the rise for trikes I see silly prices on Craigslist 9 out of 10 times. The once in a while good deal like on RI craigslist last week a running but beat 350X was offered up for $200 or trade for a lawn tractor went real quick if it was indeed a legitimate ad

jb104
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
That could be true. I have reposted my 85 250r for 2 to 3 months here in Ca for 1200 not even a phone call. Besides cracked rear plastics it is in great shape with rebuilt top end.

Marty
03-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Boys you need to come out here in the West. I just bought one for $150 but was in rough shape owner parked it in a chicken coop. Chickens tore up wiring and seat but motor and rear tires almost new. And before that got one for $100.

pcs
03-15-2013, 01:29 PM
i found a cheap one too, my gf really liked my tri z so she looked around and found a 85r for $200. an exta $100 and i was running like champ. ill post a thread with pics.

Kintore
03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Whats really funny, is it seems newer machines like the 450r, 400ex and the latter all seem to be dropping. Ive seen 450r's for 2g's and up. Granted they are beat but what about in 5 years?

I love the fact I can go to my honda dealer and buy rear fenders for 120 bucks or something like that for brand new white ones.

I love my three wheelers, and this sickens me. But what can we do?

Orangecnty250r
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Its all part of the cycle!!! Before the recession, there was a time that every clean bone stock 350x on ebay was fetching 4500-5500...remember that fellas! I also saw The TRX 250r market jump this year. Luckily for me, I have been into some mid 80's mx bike builds and they are still fairly cheap right now. Parts are tough to find just like the 3 wheelers but the bidding competition is much less fierce.

whyzee
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm in ...again. Picked up an 85 350X this morning.

dougspcs
03-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Case and point to the fact the ATCs are getting into the dollars never before seen..

Just to troll a bit I posted my 84 200m on Kijiji this after noon for $1200..

It sold in an hour at $1100 without a battery or ownership documentation!!

Not to say if wasn't a really nice trike, it never would have come close to that 2 years ago.

I almost fell down when this guy was so excited to put that much money in my hand for a 200M..

The times they are definitely a changing!

nstyle73
03-30-2013, 11:52 PM
$1200 for an M? You are making me feel better about my recent purchases :-) Apparently your price was spot on for that guy. It does appear pretty clean, no knock on your former bike.

yamaha225dr
03-31-2013, 12:45 AM
$1200 for an M? You are making me feel better about my recent purchases :-) Apparently your price was spot on for that guy. It does appear pretty clean, no knock on your former bike.

There is one identical to the one posted above on my local craigslist right now with a $2000 price tag! It has been there for a few weeks though and probably will still be there in ten years at that price, 250r's and 350x's are selling around $1,500 in good condition. There is an 85 Tri Z that looks showroom clean and it's not selling at $2,400, another person has been reposting a nice 200x for the last few weeks at $850. I wanna snatched it up so bad but don't have the money.

jays375
03-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Right now where I live it is tough to find a nice liquid R or a 350x.Roachy 350Xs are $1000-1500.Nice ones are $2500-3000.Don't seem to be selling them and they aren't that nice.Good liquid R's are not even local,2 hours away.My friend has looked for a good month,no luck.He was willing to spend money also.I tried locating a 83-84 air cooled R for myself,no luck.Big Reds have gone crazy here recently.What was a$500 machine is a grand now.You don't see any other models really for sale.I think it is just do too no machines.They are just gone.Sold off or totally used up.

atc007
03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Well said. There are bikes left.. Just not on this coast. Doug,,,that was a Gorgeous M !! I wonder how High you could have started and still got them to come and window shop. Knowing they are gonna knock you down. But like you said,,,within the hour ,they are gone.

dougspcs
03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Well said. There are bikes left.. Just not on this coast. Doug,,,that was a Gorgeous M !! I wonder how High you could have started and still got them to come and window shop. Knowing they are gonna knock you down. But like you said,,,within the hour ,they are gone.

I thought $1200 was pricing it out of reach..just thought I would troll the market. I guess I know now what people will really pay here!!

Didn't really want to sell it, but profit is profit..and beside a non-suspended trike isn't really my style. It was just a show piece..so it's all good.

Oh well, money in my pocket and back on the prowl..hope there are some more beauties out there to find!!

yamaha225dr
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I just checked the local craigslist and there is a mint 250sx on there for $1,200, a mint air cooled 250r for $1050 and an 86 350x for $1,300 that includes an extra parts bike and a bunch of extra parts. I would link them for you guys but every time I have tried in the past the links would never work.

ezmoney1979
03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I just checked the local craigslist and there is a mint 250sx on there for $1,200, a mint air cooled 250r for $1050 and an 86 350x for $1,300 that includes an extra parts bike and a bunch of extra parts. I would link them for you guys but every time I have tried in the past the links would never work.
Here ya go-
250sx- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3714058361.html
250R- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3682263240.html
350X- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3708833623.html

And a few others-
86 250R- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3590765493.html
MINT 200s- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3679608041.html
200M- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3683875818.html

jays375
03-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Too bad I don't live Oregon.Around here most sellers consider that 350x mint.That is the problem with Craigslist.At least when they have a pic it saves a lot of time.Either Maier fenders or a gallon of Armorall make them mint.

ktmcrasher
03-31-2013, 12:49 PM
id say in two years since i got my first trike the price has gone up by a 3rd in the uk. still plenty for sale though and theres a few nice original tri z's going up for sale at the moment. a couple of nice ones have gone over £2000 recently

redsox
03-31-2013, 01:18 PM
ok. this is my point, in the simplest way i can explain it. in the last calendar year, i've taken three non-running trikes and fixed them to where they are very trail worthy. and I am a hack mechanic. i did cannibalize two others to do this, but they were parts heaps anyway. so,,,,, +3, -0. i see the skilled artists building trikes on here every day, nevermind the hacks like me putting things back together. Anybody out there (in the past year) wreck three trikes that were trail worthy? it's not rhetorical, maybe there are people??? its a serious question. I think this is the rule, rather than the exception. maybe ten years is too far back, but,, my point remains, there are not fewer than ever. just can't be. mathematically thinking.

yamaha225dr
03-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Here ya go-
250sx- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3714058361.html
250R- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3682263240.html
350X- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3708833623.html

And a few others-
86 250R- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3590765493.html
MINT 200s- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3679608041.html
200M- http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/3683875818.html

Thanks man! I don't know what I do wrong but copying the link on my phone and pasting it in the "insert link" box does not work! We need to go riding some day!