PDA

View Full Version : Shinny Tri Z Fenders

Tas Wheeler
03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi all,

Have been on the hunt for a nice set of 85 Tri Z fenders and shrouds for a while now and so far have been usucessful, so I've been considering sanding and polishing a set.

After doing a search on here in regards to polishing fenders etc I noticed that there has been contradicting answers as to how successful people have been with polishing Yamaha plastics in particular. Some say they wont polish up at all:(

So would love to know from the guys who have actually polished yammy plastics wether they will polish up good or if I'd be wasting my time?

And we all love pics, so show us the end product if you've got some:)

Cheers

bkm
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Unless your dead set on oem fenders, I believe maier still offers them in all the factory colors.

Tas Wheeler
03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Unless your dead set on oem fenders, I believe maier still offers them in all the factory colors.

Yeh pretty dead set on oem, I guess I'd probably have to be dead set or insane to be thinking about polishing a full set of fenders:p

Unless of course if someone wants to cure my insanity or at least save me the time and pain of all that polishing and sell me a good set of radiator shrouds and front and rear fenders

oile
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
What color?

Mosh
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Anything you get from Maier in yellow will be off in color vs the OEM yellow. If you have black or white fenders, then Maier black and white colors will match pretty darn close, and aside from some minor line molding details, I think they are great for replacement. But the OEM yellow was it's own color bird. Maier offers front and rear fenders, but no shrouds airbox or headlight. Headlight molds were never made, however I had Maier remake the shrouds and airbox covers but can only be purchased through our company.. CosmicQuads.com

I have polished many sets of OEM plastics and it is a royal PITA..But worth it in the end.

I actually have done a few headlights in black and they are the hardest. This particular one was painted a basecoat clear white that I stripped, wet sanded, then polished. I highly recomend doing by hand as speed buffers will round off any sharp lines. I have done a few OEM yellow shrouds with good results. However if your plastic has dry-rotted cracks in the plastic, your attempts will be unsucessful..I will post some of my pics, and then you can follow the link at the end of this post. That is the method I have used with decent results. But be prepared to invest a ton of time into the project. Shrouds take me near 8 hours at least, and headlights even longer. Something I do over a few weekends watching TV or motocross.

Before..

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Big%20bore%20Z/Zlightpaint.jpg

After.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/for%20sale/DSCF1309.jpg

These are the only pics below of the yellow shrouds I have done I can find and a pic of the black shell in daylight on the black Z. teh black Z in the pic actually has OEM headlight, shrouds and airbox on it that I polished.

Heres is the link to the how to thread.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/24247-Sanding-restoring-plastic.-How-to-guide?highlight=plastic

90guy
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I plan on Doing my fenders as soon as I decide it is running right. I read on the other site the Razor blade/ Heat gun ordeal. Was going to try that or look more into it. The Wetsanding work jsut as well Mosh?

Tas Wheeler
03-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Awsome!

Thanks for the replys guys....Now! the next question would have to be then, who has a yellow set of feners and shrouds the wanna part with??????:p

Cheers Matt