PDA

View Full Version : My 225DR

fabiodriven
03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I managed to find a 225DR, or whatever it turns out to be. I am not terribly familiar with these machines, so forgive my simple questions. I drove for about 6 hours in each direction to get it because they are getting scarce. It was up in the Appalachians and I took back roads through Vermont on my way home. I drove through the Green Mountain State Park and everything.

So on to the bike and a few questions. First of all, I haven't even taken a real close look at it yet. I'm not positive of the year. It definitely has reverse and it has the reverse indication light on the dash, BUT the decals say 225DX. I expected it to say 225DR. Then I figured someone either swapped in an engine with reverse or they put DX plastics or decals on a DR. BUT, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, the DX's didn't come in black, did they? I thought only the DR's came in black. I could be totally wrong with that.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130303_125649_zpsfb1fcdf1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130304_181735_zps9c07557c.jpg

So the few details I do know- I saw it run and go into gear. It is molested somewhat, no brakes and some missing parts here and there, but it seemed to run well. I stood it up on the wheelie bar without shutting the gas off and flooded it. It didn't want to start after that, and at that point I found out it has PLENTY of compression. The electric start will be fixed first thing. I wasn't going home without it anyways, so we struck a deal that we were both happy with.

I'm not doing a restore, just a rebuild back to stock with minimal changes from stock overall. It's going to be ridden hard so I can see if the SX or the DR is better. It's 50/50 right now. Half the guys I talk to say the Yamaha is the better machine, the other half say the Honda. The mountain will figure this out quick.

I'll post any builds or riding in this same thread. I'm going to need guidance and some parts along the way. Thanks for looking!

ColtonGG33
03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
The limited edition 225drs came in black and red, that's either a 85 or 86 225dx, if it has reverse then its a 225dr with dx plastics and if it don't have reverse then its a 225dx
Hope that helps, there great machines

ColtonGG33
03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Also they could have of just put a dr bottem end in it, that's probably what they did

ColtonGG33
03-04-2013, 08:24 PM
You can check on the frame right at the triple tees, on mine it got scraped off but it should be there. Or it's also stamped on the engine somewhere

redsox
03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
traitor!!!! JK. nice looking rig.

MonroeMike
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Check the numbers.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/132415-Yamaha-serial-VIN-numbers

More info.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/125954-YTM200-YTM200e-YTM225-Service-Data

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf

dustrunner
03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
nice looking 225 fab... how did you find it ?

Worden18
03-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Very cool looking machine. Congrats on the purchase, and have fun with it :beer

trizilla
03-04-2013, 10:36 PM
i cant tell you wether or not you started with a dx or a dr. what i can tell you is that in 84,85 the limited edition tri moto was black and gold. you'll find a bunch of effin retards trying to say ohhhhh, limited edition 86 dr in black and that is a bunch of crap! most dr's from 86 were red and black and it is far more rare to find an 86 in blue than black. you'll have to run the vin to figure out what frame you have, maybe you can try the engine too. no dx's had reverse, only dr's. but really you could have anything thrown together from 84-86. all the panels were the same, seats, wheels, and the list goes on. either way you have a good start, post up the 10th vin digit and someone can help figure out the yr. look your foot peg mounts over really good, if they are sagging you'll want to indulge.lol check the rear hub and axle splines also. your gonna find some wear in the brake hub splines but that is normal after 25yrs. i had a pretty crappy day at work so i cant think of anything else right now but tear into it and keep us posted.

MIK6
03-04-2013, 10:42 PM
My DR that raffa had looked just like that!! Only difference is your has a red X and mine had a red R.. same tank sticker stripes too!
Good luck w it!

MIK6/ Mike

ColtonGG33
03-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Well most 84's are yamaha sky blue and some yellow, I don't think made them in black and gold in 84

dougspcs
03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Super coolio, Fabio..I had one of those last summer.

Not a bad ride..but I'll still take my SX over it.

El Camexican
03-04-2013, 11:53 PM
As far as I know the DX was only made in 85 and it did not have reverse. The DR was made in 85 and 86 and did have reverse. The 85 DR was available in Yellow, Blue and Black. The 85 DX only came in Yellow and Blue. The 86 DR only came Yellow and Blue. The 85 225X also came in Yellow, Blue and Black. So if the plastic is original you have a 85 DR.

It looks like the DR did not come with a decompression system, no wonder it feels like it's got squeeze! On a cold morning you'll be able to lift the trike with the cord!

brd812
03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
To many variables ..... 85 dr is my guess. She'll take what ever you throw at her. I just ordered a bruin rear shock for mine . 30 dollar experiment to see if I improve the ride and travel. The thing about these, so many yamaha parts are interchangeable . I hope enjoy her as much as I have mine. Good find.

Afrothunderkat
03-05-2013, 04:11 AM
DR's are getting scarce? or trimotos?

Because I have 60% of a 85 225DX in my basement, and just sold an 85 225DX last summer. Still have beat up yellow and blue plastics.

ColtonGG33
03-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Yeah dr's are getting really hard to find, we'll around here they are. If you can't find some parts for it, dx will work for it just nothing with the bottom end will work, but the top end and all that other stuff will. I have never seen a yellow or blue dr they must be more harder to find then black and that limited edition, if I restored dx I will do it in that black gold and some red they look really sweet

Louis Mielke
03-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Pretty sure there's nothing different in the bottom end other than the reverse mechanism and that bolts onto the side, pretty sure it's pretty easy to swap the dr reverse parts onto a dx.

The Yamaha bear tracker quad is the same engine, most of the parts can be use to repair just about anything in the HTML bottom ends

Cave Rider
03-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Heres my dx,she is black...no reverse..

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 08:21 AM
84 1/2 was a DX 85 1/2 was a DR 86 1/2 was a DR with a red frame..

oldtime3wheeler
03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Nice find Fabio. I'm guessing that's the bike you told me about?

thestud25
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Run the VIN already John! :w00t:

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry, I haven't been able to post much lately. This is the start of my busy season here at work.

First of all, Colton, take a deep breath and calm down. You've got more than one error in your "facts". I know you're fresh out of the new guys' bullpen, please post accordingly. Quality, not quantity.

nice looking 225 fab... how did you find it ?

jeffatc250r found it for me on Craigslist. I called the phone number and it didn't work, so I emailed the guy. I didn't get a reply until almost a month later. He had gotten a new phone and gave me the number. Viola!

what i can tell you is that in 84,85 the limited edition tri moto was black and gold. you'll find a bunch of effin retards trying to say ohhhhh, limited edition 86 dr in black and that is a bunch of crap!

It's funny you say that because I was actually told that the 86 DR Limited Edition was the only black and gold one. Good point!

It looks like the DR did not come with a decompression system, no wonder it feels like it's got squeeze! On a cold morning you'll be able to lift the trike with the cord!

Another clue to this puzzle- It does have a compression release. And yes, you can pretty much pick the trike up with the pull cord on the compression stroke!

DR's are getting scarce? or trimotos?

DR's. I've been looking for a DR for about 2 months and I've seen plenty off nice DX's for sale, not too many DR's though.

just nothing with the bottom end will work, but the top end and all that other stuff will.

I know your intentions are good, and that's what really matters. I appreciate you trying to offer some insight. Although I don't know much about these bikes, I did know this was wrong. Please do your research before posting.

That's some good info there. I had no idea they made black DX's.

Nice find Fabio. I'm guessing that's the bike you told me about?

It absolutely is, and thank you for sending me the links you saw!

Run the VIN already John! :w00t:

I will be on that today pal! As soon as I get a minute I'll run it and we'll see what the hell I have here!

El Camexican
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Another clue to this puzzle- It does have a compression release. And yes, you can pretty much pick the trike up with the pull cord on the compression stroke!

Actually what I should have said was that the pull start does not activate the decompression lever (its automatic via a cable on the non-electric models like my 200) Yours appears to have a hand activated lever on the right-hand side of the head. Not a great place for one when you're having problems getting it to fire and the e-start is down. Anyway, I have a genuine Yamaha service manual that covers YTM200/225 (K-S). If you need anything scanned from it let me know.:beer

yamaha225dr
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Nice trike! I had an 85DR just like the one in your pics. Really fine machines and bulletproof, I also owned an 85 250sx at the same time and honestly, you can't compare the two. Each one has there strengths and weaknesses, I felt like the Yamaha was more like a cadillac and the Honda was like a truck. The only gripe I ever had about the Yamaha was the ground clearance.

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I ran the numbers, it's a 1985 225DR. I just unloaded it from my pickup and took it for a ride. It started right up and ran great! Still needs to be ripped apart though before I can take it in the mountains.

tri-Z ripper
03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
looks great Fabio, a local person i ride with around here has the exact same bike black and gold. Feels a little smaller than an SX to me, what do you think?

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Definitely a bit smaller Shane. That's fine though. I'm lucky if I'm 150 lbs.

How do you check the fluid in the rear end? Mine's got some sort of black plastic plug where it looks like the fill/check would be. Is there supposed to be a threaded plug in there? Do I just pop that thing out?

El Camexican
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
How do you check the fluid in the rear end? Mine's got some sort of black plastic plug where it looks like the fill/check would be. Is there supposed to be a threaded plug in there? Do I just pop that thing out?

Manual shows a drain at the bottom, a vent tube on top and a flat looking bolt (allen hex?) with a washer under it and what appears to be a rubber plug to keep crud out of the hex key hole. Pop out the plug and use a hex wrench is my guess. Torque is listed at 17ft#. Oil is SAE80API Hypoid Gear Oil

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey, you're alright El Canucksican!

Here we go!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130305_133919_zpsa959a9f5.jpg

yamaha225dr
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I like the custom brake lever! lol It doesn't look bad at all, a little cleaning and she it will look really good. It really brings back a lot of memories I had with mine.

El Camexican
03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Sweet! A stripped trike is second only to a nude woman! I hope you'll tear it down down to the nuts and rebuild it with a gloss black powder-coated frame and gold anodizing on all the bolt-on items.

redskinman
03-05-2013, 05:59 PM

wow that looks nice,looks brand new

ColtonGG33
03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
They did also make an 86 dx I found out and about that bottom end the only reason I said that parts from the dx wouldn't work is because it would be a pain in the butt to do all that stuff, and that red and black one is the limited edition one it was for the dr the limited edition. I do my reaserch before I post things there just isn't enough stuff to look up for the dr's and dx's. the only important thing is that it runs and you like it

El Camexican
03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
They did also make an 86 dx

I can't find an 86DX in the Yamaha fiches, only 85's. Where did you hear of one?:wondering

ColtonGG33
03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Well on eBay they have a bunch of parts for a 86 dx ? I have a 83 dx and it says only parts will from 83-85 and then there the 86 ones that are different, I'm gonna more research about it

ColtonGG33
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Do you know what, I bet its like trying to find a 87 250r. There are probably some out there just not many

yaegerb
03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Looked at Bikebandit and Service Honda...no listing for an 86 DX...I am calling BS. However they do have an 86 DR.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Looked at Bikebandit and Service Honda...no listing for an 86 DX...I am calling BS. However they do have an 86 DR.

it was a DR with a red frame Trizilla had one! something fishy there .. I think someone put special edition plastic on that regular DR!

trizilla
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
it was a DR with a red frame Trizilla had one! something fishy there .. I think someone put special edition plastic on that regular DR!

i agree... its the only explanation... or maybe they put the wrong stickers on it?

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Colton, shut the crap up please. I've been polite long enough.

Does anyone know if there are any other keyed ignitions that will work with this bike? The ignition is complete, with key. The wires are ripped off the back of it though and somebody habba-dabba'd some snotty solder on there. It doesn't look good. The OEM switch is discontinued so I checked Ebay and Amazon. I found some similar switches, but I'm not sure if they're the same. I'd gladly cut and splice my old connection on for the harness if that's all that needs to be done. Has anyone does this or does anyone have an ignition they'd like to sell me? I'll PayPal you the dough right now. Thanks.

trizilla
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
i dont have an ignition switch for you but, try looking into older yamaha quads, yfm 200, yfm 225, yfm 250. you may find something that will just plug in

trizilla
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
YO, i got you one NOS at my local dealer, price is not so great but this is a direct bolt on as its the part you need. lets just say i know someone who knows someone with some pull at a 40 yr old yami dealer. hollar if you want it, they are holding it for me.

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm in the process of a massive OEM parts order. I'm going to attempt to order a seat cover. Supposedly they're still available, but pricey. Any idea if the number has been superseded or anything? If the thing says "Moto-4" or something on it I'll be bent.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Colton, shut the crap up please. I've been polite long enough.

Does anyone know if there are any other keyed ignitions that will work with this bike? The ignition is complete, with key. The wires are ripped off the back of it though and somebody habba-dabba'd some snotty solder on there. It doesn't look good. The OEM switch is discontinued so I checked Ebay and Amazon. I found some similar switches, but I'm not sure if they're the same. I'd gladly cut and splice my old connection on for the harness if that's all that needs to be done. Has anyone does this or does anyone have an ignition they'd like to sell me? I'll PayPal you the dough right now. Thanks.

I hot wired mine with a jumper .. Pm Gag have him look under the tank on my old DR,,, he can tell you what color wires ... for now..

trizilla
03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
the seat cover part number does superseed from 29u-24711-00-00 to 3gc-24711-00-00

and i'm pretty sure its red to brown on the jumping of the key switch.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2013, 08:12 PM
sound about right.. think i started with the red and went right around the terminals at the connector till I had spark.

the great gazoo
03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow man, I'm away for a couple days and Blammo! You finally scored your DR. My interest in these bikes is through the roof now, I've always had an SX, never rode a DR, until the very first PaTuck ride, where I pull started one in gear & (on purpose? LOL) ran over Raffa's foot, the DX was toast. Then 2or3 years later Raffa brought his DX/DR up to Brapp's & I got to take a proper rip around Josh's yard, but it had blown forks, so I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to last year(?) at Josh's- Eric brought his DR up & I got to ride it. MMMMmmmmmm, plush suspension, so much nicer than my SX (I think my forks (200X) have needed a rebuild for a few years) on the front and rear, and man it had just as much giddyup too. I forgot ALL about it until Fabio starts this up. Man, where am I going to hide another bike?

fabiodriven
03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
the seat cover part number does superseed from 29u-24711-00-00 to 3gc-24711-00-00

and i'm pretty sure its red to brown on the jumping of the key switch.

This post just saved me over $100. I was just about to check out of BikeBandit when you posted this so I researched the seat cover. I was going to buy just the seat cover from Partzilla but then I started comparing prices and Partzilla is WAY cheaper than BikeBandit! Like some parts are almost half the price! Thank you!

the great gazoo
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Partzilla? Never heard of 'em- I gotta check them out...................

El Camexican
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM
You may want to check out both these guys before you start laying cash down.

http://speedandsportinc.com/

http://www.boats.net/

Speed and Sport for what no one else has and Boats.net for great prices.

ColtonGG33
03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Fabio you dont have to be rude, Im just giving you the information I've found,

Afrothunderkat
03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
You finally scored your DR. My interest in these bikes is through the roof now, I've always had an SX, never rode a DR, until the very first PaTuck ride, where I pull started one in gear

The DX I had was a total bag, but was incredibly fun to ride, I'd just hammer it all day and it took it. I've ridden one exactly like fabios, pulled way harder than any SX i've ridden. The tri-moto series has got to be my fav slow trikes. Yellow, red, black, looks awesome, suspensions decent, some interchangeable parts w/ TTR225, can't kill em and there everywhere, parts are decently cheap.

I even like my trimoto 200k better than my 200s. Great woods trikes!

Jason125m
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Nice pickup... I rode one a few years ago. Nice machine, I just have a hard time getting away from honda.

Only Fabio can have 4 pages and 600+ views in less than 24 hours for getting a new bike.... haha.

aldochina
03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
nice fabs! Diggin right in! A buddy i rode with quite a few times tore it up on a 225. I rode it once, seemed small, but nimble. They look great when not beat. I have a hard time believing it will out perform the sx in the mountains!! Your sx is a tight unit!! I cant wait to see it up there, and get your impressions!! Enjoy!

brd812
03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Friendly advice colton, leave it alone. Fabio is a good guy, loves trikes and you will learn a lot by following this thread. It's his thread on his yamaha. Peeing in his pool is not a good idea. Live and learn on 3 wheels young buck and enjoy.

the great gazoo
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Yup, watch & learn. Fabio gots the skills & we all gots sump'n to learn from him.......

atc007
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Congrats on finally finding one! Even though it's a mutt lol... jk,,I see you're getting her whipped into shape already!! Let the shootout begin! I like the SX's,,I 'm betting the Yammies size will lend itself more to you.

ezmoney1979
03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Fabio you dont have to be rude, Im just giving you the information I've found,
Well Colton, there has been a recent influx of so called trike "experts" and with them has come a lot of false and misleading information being passed around on the boards lately. I have been getting sick of it as well. Try your best to not be one of the new "experts".

Nice score Fabio, I'm guessing you have read the 225DR versus 250SX magazine shootout? I'm curious to hear what you consider to be the better machine. Looks like you have some work ahead of you though, good luck man!:beer

fabiodriven
03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing you have read the 225DR versus 250SX magazine shootout?

I have not seen this. Where might I find such an article friend?

I ordered a TON of parts last night, 80% of them OEM. I'm curious to see how many of them are still available. I spent more money in ordered parts last night than I paid for the machine.

The only parts I'm aware of that I still need at this point are an ignition switch (with key) and whatever it is that holds the battery in the battery box. If anyone has these parts, please let me know. Thank you.

redsox
03-06-2013, 01:28 PM
YO, i got you one NOS at my local dealer, price is not so great but this is a direct bolt on as its the part you need. lets just say i know someone who knows someone with some pull at a 40 yr old yami dealer. hollar if you want it, they are holding it for me.

Scroll up fabs. your boy zilla has you all hooked up. You're so famous, i'd imagine its hard to keep up.

muthey
03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey Fabio One thing I do recommend is putting a honda shifter from a hard tail honda on there, I know this is blasphemy to yamaha, but the honda shifters have alot more metal to them. Other than that I have a set of black and white dr rear plastics on my dx that came off of a parts machine I bought. here's some pics you can see the honda shifter in one of them. And I'm gonna beat you to it trail pros lol

trizilla
03-06-2013, 01:35 PM
there is a plastic cover that slides over the battery tha holds it down, 1, 6mm bolt holds the cover on. i dont think it is available new so you will probably have to ebay it.

ezmoney1979
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I recently read it in dcreels magazine article thread, it was either a dirt wheels or 3wheeling article. I would post a link but I'm on my phone at work right now.

muthey
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I made that seat cover, it doesn't say shaft on it but it is a perfect fit. Here is the cover you are looking for http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-YAMAHA-YTM225DX-TRI-MOTO-BATTERY-TRAY-BOX-HOLDER-COVER-/180946508530?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a21409af2&vxp=mtr the price is nuts I sold my spare complete battery box for less than that lol

atc300r
03-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Does this mean your keeping the 300r for now.Dirt wheeles ran this ad for the 225 dr back in the day.164483

fabiodriven
03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I made that seat cover, it doesn't say shaft on it but it is a perfect fit. Here is the cover you are looking for http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-YAMAHA-YTM225DX-TRI-MOTO-BATTERY-TRAY-BOX-HOLDER-COVER-/180946508530?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a21409af2&vxp=mtr the price is nuts I sold my spare complete battery box for less than that lol

Are you positive this part is discontinued? If it's not, I'll be paying half of that for a brand new one. It didn't show as discontinued on the site I ordered from. I ordered over $400 in OEM parts alone (never mind the aftermarket parts I ordered as well) and so far only one of the parts of the 60+ of OEM I ordered are discontinued. I'm curious to see how many are.

Does this mean your keeping the 300r for now.

I am keeping my R for now, yes.

muthey
03-06-2013, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1203618]Are you positive this part is discontinued? If it's not, I'll be paying half of that for a brand new one. It didn't show as discontinued on the site I ordered from. I ordered over $400 in OEM parts alone (never mind the aftermarket parts I ordered as well) and so far only one of the parts of the 60+ of OEM I ordered are discontinued. I'm curious to see how many are.

I don't know if it's discontinued or not, but I have found out that quite a few parts are and the dealers haven't updated that they can no longer get them.let me know if you are interested in a keyed ignition, I have a correct one for 25$ plus shipping in a small flat rate box.

fabiodriven
03-06-2013, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1203618].let me know if you are interested in a keyed ignition, I have a correct one for 25$ plus shipping in a small flat rate box.

Sold! Thank you!

Yamada
03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Are you positive this part is discontinued? If it's not, I'll be paying half of that for a brand new one. It didn't show as discontinued on the site I ordered from. I ordered over $400 in OEM parts alone (never mind the aftermarket parts I ordered as well) and so far only one of the parts of the 60+ of OEM I ordered are discontinued. I'm curious to see how many are.

I am keeping my R for now, yes.

Let us know which part is discontinued. I never had problem ordering part at my Yamaha dealer. The only part that is discontinued is I really needed was the headpipe. Put I bought a complete DG exhaust system so it's not a big deal.

ezmoney1979
03-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I have not seen this. Where might I find such an article friend?

Here ya go buddy! Pretty close comparison it seems, post 83- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126787-More-magazine-articles.../page6?highlight=dcreel+magazine

leevarnado
03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
i have a few nos parts,headlight bezels,headlight guards,centrifugal clutch,motor parts.pm me if interested.

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
My brother told me when I was growing up that the Yamaha guys had it the best when it came OEM parts production longevity. In other words, Yamaha took the longest to discontinue old parts. He was right. I used to build Tecates and when I ordered parts, more than half of them would come back unavailable. You Yamaha guys have it easy. You all are spoiled (Well, WE now I guess). On Tuesday night I had ordered 63 OEM parts from Yamaha, and only 2 came back as unavailable. The order shipped yesterday and will be here either Monday or Tuesday and my aftermarket order will be here tomorrow or Saturday. There's also some odds and ends coming from Ebay and other members of this forum as well. There are only two things that are really going to take any time. If it weren't for those two things, this machine could have the potential to be freshened up in under a week. The first thing is rebuilding the forks. I've helped Dan do this once, but I've never done it myself.

This is the second thing. I want to remove, clean, and paint the exhaust. I am also doing an experiment. I've been really impressed by Kroil, so I want to see what it can do. I've been spraying the head pipe bolts, the heat shield screws, and the muffler clamp a few times a day for 3 days so far. I am going to attempt to remove all of this hardware using only hand tools and see what I can do. I know I run the risk of breaking things, but I'm going to take it really easy and use heat only if I have to. If these come out by hand with no heat, that's one for the books. We shall see...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130307_095642_zpsd00935f3.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130307_095656_zpsf53c457e.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130307_095703_zpse513eb5f.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130307_095708_zps34046ff5.jpg

Here are some random before pictures. Cosmetically, it wasn't bad. There is just a good amount of random hardware missing for the brakes, missing or worn out cables, broken and bent levers, missing tail light lens, that sort of stuff. It all came apart fairly well though and it will all clean up nice!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130306_082722_zps1061610f.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130306_082659_zps6d3d82fe.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130306_082649_zps42446a25.jpg

ColtonGG33
03-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Hey Fabio if your looking for a full exhaust go to denniskirk.com they have a full dg exhaust that should fit your dr, if you can't find one for your dr, then just look up one for a dx. I was gonna get one, I heard there really good

El Camexican
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
If you get the bolts out of that head without breaking them you will be my hero.

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm staying as close to stock as I can, but thank you Colton.

I won't be the hero Canamexinadian, Kroil will be.

MonroeMike
03-08-2013, 12:23 AM
...The first thing is rebuilding the forks. I've helped Dan do this once, but I've never done it myself...

This might be a good read for you.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/89417-Yamaha-YTM-Front-Shock-Disassembly-How-To

WisconsinJohn
03-08-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm staying as close to stock as I can, but thank you Colton.

I haven't seen kroil for over 10 years, if anything can loosen up those crusty bolts, it's kroil! Have fun!

El Camexican
03-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Kroil or not, I’m still gonna be might impressed if you can finesse those out of there, especially the one on the bottom.

Yamada
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the pipe will crush on itself when you will try to remove th exhaust guard. When I got my 225dx the headpipe was looking very good. But after 2 years it completely broke right off at the head flange. I don't even tried to find a used one, the same thing would have happened.

fabiodriven
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Well, the good news is the massive OEM parts order I placed last week should be at my house today. The bad news is, the exhaust ain't looking so hot. The Kroil did manage to let me remove the head pipe bolts. They came right out, no issues. The heat shield bolts didn't budge and the muffler clamp just crinkled and fell to pieces. I have another muffler clamp en route anyways so that's not a bid deal. What does suck is the head pipe was cracked and paper thin, so it broke. The flange is currently still stuck in the head and soaking in Kroil. I am faced with a bit of a quandary as to how I should continue.

1- Get a new (used) head pipe.

2- Repair the current head pipe once the flange is removed from the head.

3- Buy a DG exhaust and use just the head pipe with my stock muffler. I have no interest in running the DG muffler. If anyone out there knows, will the DG head pipe work with the stock muffler? I can make it work either way, but I'm just curious.

If anyone has a used exhaust system, let me know. Only in good, usable shape please. No junk on this project.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130311_102129_zps0eab9efb.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130311_102137_zpsba576102.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130311_122150_zps58290b8b.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130311_125633_zps852669b7.jpg

aldochina
03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Nice! Shouldnt be too hard to get the flange out! I would try to find a solid used oem one! I will keep an eye out! Kroil works pretty good huh? never tried it!

Yamada
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
I had to dremel/cut in two piece the old flange on my 225Dx to remove it from the head. Mine looked exactly like yours. I think the head pire have a bigger diameter and I don't think it would reach the stock muffler lenghtwise.

tri-Z ripper
03-12-2013, 09:08 AM
just a suggestion drill a couple screws on each side and use pliers pulling each side, can also try to spin it this way. Hope that helps

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm coming up empty handed here for exhaust. I've been combing the intranets for quite some time and all I see are rusted out, over priced head pipes. I'm thinking I may just buy a more modern Yamaha TT225 head pipe (or something similar) and do a little fabbing to make it work. That is unless one of my fellow members of this fine forum may have a decent head pipe they'd like to sell at a reasonable price?

El Camexican
03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Take all this with a grain of salt as I don’t know exactly what all changed on the pipes between the 200 and 225, but they did change a little (I think I have a single down tube frame and you have a double?). When I removed my perfectly good stocker from my 200 and replaced it with a Cobra (DG) meant for a YMF 225 I had to weld in an extra ¾” or so of pipe I got from the stocker in order to clear the frame and then had to shorten the end of the pipe a couple inches so that the baffle mounts would line up with the factory frame holes, sorry, it went to the trash bin after that. Now, my point to this is that I’m 99% sure that if you can find a Cobra/DG head-pipe for any of the 200 or 225 family it should not be too hard to make up a nice system. I see them on eBay every month or so. Also worth mentioning, the stock pipe (at least on the 200) is double walled and the aftermarket pipes are single walled but have pretty much the same O.D. I forget if the inlet to the stock silencer is still reduced, or if it opens up. I think it was still reduced inside the baffle, so keep that in mind if you open up the head pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Read-Exhaust-Muffler-Head-Pipe-Flange-Yamaha-Moto-4-YTM-200-86-moto4-/370776940315?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5654071f1b&vxp=mtr

PS. No promises that this will work.

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Very good stuff there Mexinadian. Although I was thinking something more along the lines of this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2007-Yamaha-TTR-225-XT-225-OEM-Exhaust-Header-Pipe-TT-R-/221189388080?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337fea3730&vxp=mtr

It looks like a lot more work to make it fit, but it is slightly cheaper and the end result may last longer and look better (depending on how I have to weld it).

TecateDan
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
You can always send to dan's grinding shop (Blackstone MA )

Very good stuff there Mexinadian. Although I was thinking something more along the lines of this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2007-Yamaha-TTR-225-XT-225-OEM-Exhaust-Header-Pipe-TT-R-/221189388080?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337fea3730&vxp=mtr

It looks like a lot more work to make it fit, but it is slightly cheaper and the end result may last longer and look better (depending on how I have to weld it).

Lil Earl
03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
the biggedst problem i found with them is the rear end and the centrifugal (it thats how its spelt) clutch. those are hard to find. mine is oppite from yours it says rexerse everywhere but a dx bottom end. want to trade? haha

El Camexican
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Are you sure about fitment to the head? Your trike head, my 200 and the YFM P/N is 15A-111110-04-00, but the bike head you mentioned is 3RW-11101-04-00. I’m not saying the exhaust flange isn’t the same, only that the heads likely have some difference, so be careful.

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
No, I am not sure. That is a very good point as well.

ShaftDrive225dx
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Your going to fall in love with that thing man! i got a 225dx no reverse but i absolutley love it ive read the 250sx comparison too lol but i love my bike perfect size in my opinon a little more compact than the 250 and just as much torque or more.... the only thing i have changed on mine is the exhuast and some wider mudding/trail tires even with just that its made it alot more sturdier which is a complaint with these bikes! but any way check my pictures out when u get a chance there on my profile!

El Camexican
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
No, I am not sure. That is a very good point as well.

Check out the fiches side by side and the valve diameters, etc. It may only be a tab or seat that differs between the heads.

Some guys will tell you that there's good head and great head, but never bad head, but I don't know if that applies in this case;)

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
I've hit a speed bump. Partzilla screwed up my OEM parts order royally. I ordered about $450 in parts, 63 parts total. They told me all but two were available and they shipped the order the next day. The package showed up today and it was a little over $20 in parts and probably about 10 small parts total, none of it even important stuff. They had refunded me for almost the entire order but they said the entire order (61 parts) shipped. I was confused so I just waited for the package to come. Oh well, they're trying to fix it.

Also, if anyone can show me a picture of how to run the little hoses for the fork boot vents I'd greatly appreciate it.

El Camexican
03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I've hit a speed bump. Partzilla screwed up my OEM parts order royally. I ordered about $450 in parts, 63 parts total. They told me all but two were available and they shipped the order the next day. The package showed up today and it was a little over $20 in parts and probably about 10 small parts total, none of it even important stuff. They had refunded me for almost the entire order but they said the entire order (61 parts) shipped. I was confused so I just waited for the package to come. Oh well, they're trying to fix it.

Also, if anyone can show me a picture of how to run the little hoses for the fork boot vents I'd greatly appreciate it.
I was a little surprised when you lucked out on all the parts (not as much as I am that you got those exhaust studs out though). I did my 200 over 3 years ago and had all kinds of heck finding parts. Did you look at the two links I posted for parts? If not you may want to now.

Near as I could ever figure those two hoses go up over the fender, behind the light and up the triple tree stem. Expect to open up the clamps and drain them if you do much swamp riding. If not you'll get rusted sliders.

fabiodriven
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I was on the phone with them and the issue wasn't with availability for the most part. This was a glitch in their computer, however I am nervous to see how many parts come back as discontinued at this point. The woman on the phone checked availability of multiple parts that didn't ship while I was on the phone with her and more than a few came back as readily available. A couple did come up as limited availability though, and that worries me.

El Camexican
03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I was on the phone with them and the issue wasn't with availability for the most part. This was a glitch in their computer, however I am nervous to see how many parts come back as discontinued at this point. The woman on the phone checked availability of multiple parts that didn't ship while I was on the phone with her and more than a few came back as readily available. A couple did come up as limited availability though, and that worries me.

Cool, I hope they can come through. If that vent hose thing dosn't make sense let me know and I'll post a pic tomorrow.

fabiodriven
03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
I will graciously accept that offer. Thank you.

El Camexican
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
I will graciously accept that offer. Thank you.

Hope this helps. As you can see the hose comes from the top of the boot, tucks under the lower tree and snakes between a couple tabs on the fender and then goes up the stem of the triple tree. I am assuming your 225 is the same.

PS. Please excuse the dust

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/YTM%20200%20VENT%20HOSE%20ROUTING/SANY0007_zps56f33e98.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/YTM%20200%20VENT%20HOSE%20ROUTING/SANY0003_zpsb81f3c62.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/YTM%20200%20VENT%20HOSE%20ROUTING/SANY0004_zps2be5787c.jpg

fabiodriven
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Awesome man. Thank you so much.

So I moved on to the fork rebuilds today. It seems I may have picked a really crappy setup to do my first fork rebuild on.

First of all, my caps are stuck in. So I have to do this-

When the cap gets totally stuck this is what I do. I center punch the middle of the cap and drill a hole most of the way through the cap. Next I tap the hole. Then I put a socket on top of the fork (27mm fits the outside of the tube but the cap is smaller and will fit inside the socket, this is key). Now I thread a bolt through the socket (with the needed spacers if the screw is longer then it needs to be) and tighten it. As the screw tightens up it will pull the cap up. Just be sure you have a few threads started before the screw tries to pull the cap out, this is why I start with a little bit longer screw and spacers then back it out and add spacers after pulling the cap out a little.

Tapped Cap
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/thefoxman45/YTM%20Fork%20Rebuild/HPIM2243.jpg

Socket Puller
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/thefoxman45/YTM%20Fork%20Rebuild/HPIM2244.jpg

I am really not looking forward to doing that. The next step appears to be no better. I have to make a press-jig-thingy to get my fork seals out? Wtf? Was this engineered by the same guy who built Honda's 250SX carb setup? Is it just me, or is this an ass-hat way to have to remove fork seals?

Now with the shock filled with oil we put it in a press and compress the shock. The oil with pressurize and push the seal out. I made my own press out of an old bed frame and bottle jack, it worked fine. I do suggest holding a rag over the seal as some oil will squeeze out but as long as you pump slowly it doesn’t make too much of a mess. You can feel the seal slide out.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/thefoxman45/YTM%20Fork%20Rebuild/HPIM2245.jpg

Why do I do this shite to myself. I really hate working on stuff now...

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/erl33/facepalm.gif

El Camexican
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
If you don’t want to drill you can try this: Get someone to help you and put some eye protection on (GOOD STUFF, Like a welding helmet). Tap the cap with a hammer and a blunt drift till it frees up and moves down a little. Get Buddy to keep pressure on it with a thin bar or old screwdriver until you can fish out the clip with a pick. Once it’s out shoot some WD-40 or trans fluid in there and let it sit a bit. Then with Buddy holding the tube vertical and applying downward pressure to load the spring against the underside of the cap keep tapping on the cap with the blunt drift and eventually it should the cap should work its way past the crud and pop out thanks to the spring pressure. Unless it is horrifically rusted this should work. I’ve done them myself, but always wished for help. Be prepared for the caps to hit the roof when they release.

Do you know how to get the seals out? If not let me know. It’s very messy, requires a vice and likely a torch or heat gun as well.

You will want to put pre-load spacers under those caps when you assemble them, but don’t overdo it or they will knock hard every time you accelerate. Truth be known those forks are about as low end as they come, but they are still better than a solid fork.

fabiodriven
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm only working on one fork right now. I was able to get the top circlip out with minimal effort, but the cap is stuck. I am here by myself for now. I held the fork upside down by the lower tube and slammed it on a 2x4 on the floor hoping the spring would pop the cap out like you said. It hasn't moved. I'm really frustrated now. I really hate wrenching. I used to love it, but the patience I had as a younger lad set sail a couple years ago and never came back. Now I just get bent out of shape and start destroying things. Thanks for your suggestions Camexican.

TecateDan
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Just drop it off at my house and ride the sx until this is finished. The stress comes from wanting it to be done ASAP for some imaginary time line. Just relax and remember you have a machine to ride when we go. We'll get this one fixed up and it'll be fine. If it bothers you just leave it in the corner for a day. Or Bring those forks and the sx forks over to my house one night and we'll knock em out buddy!!!! No stress needed

I'm only working on one fork right now. I was able to get the top circlip out with minimal effort, but the cap is stuck. I am here by myself for now. I held the fork upside down by the lower tube and slammed it on a 2x4 on the floor hoping the spring would pop the cap out like you said. It hasn't moved. I'm really frustrated now. I really hate wrenching. I used to love it, but the patience I had as a younger lad set sail a couple years ago and never came back. Now I just get bent out of shape and start destroying things. Thanks for your suggestions Camexican.

brd812
03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I just cracked up laughing. Fabio and bed frame in the same post. Oh my....kidding . Looks good, hope your parts issue work out and venting is correct, I checked mine today. Have fun

jb2wheels
03-13-2013, 02:41 PM
So the Yamaha forks don't come apart like the Hondas? That setup sucks (circlip holding the cap in).

That press thing for the seals is interesting.
On the forks I've done, there's a bolt at the bottom of the fork holding the damper rods in. Zip that bolt out with the impact gun.
There's a circlip holding the seal in the slider (fat tube).
When the bolt and clip are out, use the thin tube like a slide hammer and pull the seals out.
Pretty standard on the Honda and Suzuki forks I'v edone over the years.

Are the YTM forks not like that?

fabiodriven
03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Just drop it off at my house and ride the sx until this is finished. The stress comes from wanting it to be done ASAP for some imaginary time line. Just relax and remember you have a machine to ride when we go. We'll get this one fixed up and it'll be fine. If it bothers you just leave it in the corner for a day. Or Bring those forks and the sx forks over to my house one night and we'll knock em out buddy!!!! No stress needed

You are a good egg Dan, and I'm sure that's how we're going to have to tackle this. Sometimes I forget how often we used to team up on projects to muscle through them.

So the Yamaha forks don't come apart like the Hondas? That setup sucks (circlip holding the cap in).

That press thing for the seals is interesting.
On the forks I've done, there's a bolt at the bottom of the fork holding the damper rods in. Zip that bolt out with the impact gun.
There's a circlip holding the seal in the slider (fat tube).
When the bolt and clip are out, use the thin tube like a slide hammer and pull the seals out.
Pretty standard on the Honda and Suzuki forks I'v edone over the years.

Are the YTM forks not like that?

You would be correct about the bolt on the bottom of the tube sir. I noticed earlier when I referenced the manual that the YTM 225 fork tubes are different than the YTM 200 tubes. That makes sense because "The Fox" did say the tubes were similar, but not the same.

TecateDan
03-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Most of our stuff was built together. The two of us are like 4 normal people wen it comes to fixing stuff. Except I'm offering to help where as when I was struggling in the past (I'm talking like 17-18 years old) you use to love to bust my chops and say "oh it's broke, looks like you'll need to buy another one" So maybe I shouldn't help and just tell you you need to buy a new DX/DR

redsox
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Howard, you gotta find your zen, bud. As soon as its not fun, walk away. Just remember why you do this. Wrenching is just as therapeutic as riding. The world is full of shatty things, but three wheelers ain't one of em'. You've had this trike for like a week. don't beat yourself up cuz it's not race ready. silly deadlines are for american chopper and biker build off. you're lightyears ahead of where most of us would be, and that thing will be ballz when you're done. lighten' up, francis.

fabiodriven
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Good advise and much appreciated, but TecateDan can tell you what happens if I put a project down. It'll end up in the pile with the supercharged Mustang, the snowmobile, and the 100,000 other projects that don't get done. The 500 had been sitting for over 3 years when Dan took the initiative to revive it.

TecateDan
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Very true!!! Very True

Good advise and much appreciated, but TecateDan can tell you what happens if I put a project down. It'll end up in the pile with the supercharged Mustang, the snowmobile, and the 100,000 other projects that don't get done. The 500 had been sitting for over 3 years when Dan took the initiative to revive it.

TecateDan
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
any progress today

the great gazoo
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
What he said.................

Rigaman
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I gotta say. Seeing this thread makes me miss my old 85 225dx so much. These are great trikes. I absolutely loved mine. I traded mine for a black and red 85 tri-z, and I regret it. These are such fun three wheelers.

fabiodriven
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
I haven't touched it today. I am at a stalemate at the moment. I am waiting for my big parts order still and I can't do anything else with these forks at the moment. Sorry gents. Lol.

I'm still looking for a factory headpipe if anyone has one they're willing to part with.

fabiodriven
03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
My buddy and I tackled the flange last night. With him prying one side out and then me hitting it back in, we were able to get it wiggling back and forth until it came out. Now to find a new head pipe.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20130315_093558_zps22ad03fc.jpg

Dan and I may try to rebuild the forks Sunday.

ezmoney1979
03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice job! That looked like a pain to get out cleanly. Keep it up man, you will be tackling the rocky trails in no time:beer

fabiodriven
03-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I just ordered a few stainless bends like these- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-622003/overview/

The hell with it, I'm making my own front pipe.

TecateDan
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Dan and I may try to rebuild the forks Sunday.

What what?? Sunday is 500 day

tri-Z ripper
03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
have you searched all the companies? Dg and such? just curious. i just grabbed a supertrapp for my 200X on flea bay for $100

TecateDan
03-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Forks are fixed !!!!!

fabiodriven
03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
have you searched all the companies? Dg and such? just curious. i just grabbed a supertrapp for my 200X on flea bay for $100

All I could find were used front pipes that didn't have much life left in them for stupid money or a full DG system which I have no interest in. I like the factory exhaust and wanted to retain it. I borrowed Dan's little welder and I have it at work here with me so I plan on diving head first into the front pipe as soon as the sections I ordered arrive.

And yes, Dan and I were able to get the forks rebuilt yesterday. We did end up having to use The Fox's method of drilling and tapping the cap. Unfortunately, it was the only way they were going to come out. With the two of us on it, it wasn't so bad.

TecateDan
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I love those YammaJoke Forks

tri-Z ripper
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
hey Fabio don't know if you need another but might solve exhaust problem! http://albany.craigslist.org/rvs/3685420185.html

fabiodriven
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
That's actually a helluba deal Shane!

yamaha225dr
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Fabio! I have a stock in good condition 225 head pipe in my parents attic back in Louisiana. I almost hate to make this post cause I don't know exactly which box it's in but I will hound my parents to find it for you! If they find it, I will sell it to you for just the shipping cost from there house to yours. I will have them begin the hunt today, so cross your fingers and toes!

TecateDan
03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I'll give you 10 dollars more than John highest bid just so I can hang it on my wall and stare at how pretty it is... Oh and can I have my welder back now that you will not be needing to weld your own head pipe?

Fabio! I have a stock in good condition 225 head pipe in my parents attic back in Louisiana. I almost hate to make this post cause I don't know exactly which box it's in but I will hound my parents to find it for you! If they find it, I will sell it to you for just the shipping cost from there house to yours. I will have them begin the hunt today, so cross your fingers and toes!

yamaha225dr
03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I'll give you 10 dollars more than John highest bid just so I can hang it on my wall and stare at how pretty it is... Oh and can I have my welder back now that you will not be needing to weld your own head pipe?

Make it $10.01 and you got yourself a deal! lol

Dirtcrasher
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Looks like that heads gonna have to have a meet and greet in my mill :lol:

tri-Z ripper
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
That's actually a helluba deal Shane!

I'm always trying to help a fellow 3 wheeler junkie. And after 2 years i hope to see you guys this summer. I'm still on the lookout for that exhaust for you.

fabiodriven
03-18-2013, 07:59 PM

I'll take you up on that offer if you don't want it anymore, but I'm still going to make my own out of stainless. I've already ordered the pipe and I'm kind of looking forward to fabricating it. I'll keep your pipe on hand if you want to part with it. If you've still got a DR/DX, I'd highly recommend keeping the pipe though. They are very hard to come by in cruddy condition, never mind in good condition.

yamaha225dr
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
I'll take you up on that offer if you don't want it anymore, but I'm still going to make my own out of stainless. I've already ordered the pipe and I'm kind of looking forward to fabricating it. I'll keep your pipe on hand if you want to part with it. If you've still got a DR/DX, I'd highly recommend keeping the pipe though. They are very hard to come by in cruddy condition, never mind in good condition.

I haven't had that trike for about six years now. I had quads for a while and just recently picked up an 85 250r.

fabiodriven
03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
I'll take it! I'll send you my address!

Afrothunderkat
03-19-2013, 02:56 AM
I was ridding my 225dx last year and the header pipe just blew off. Broke at the collar. Had to ride all the way home with flames spitting out of the head, sounded like a bubble machine!

TecateDan
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
update ???????

fabiodriven
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Got nothing right now. Waiting on parts.

Looks like almost all parts should be arriving today, barring the exhaust pipe. I don't know when that will be in.

TecateDan
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Did you finish up the forks or are they rolling around in the back of your truck uncapped and collecting dirt

fabiodriven
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
The forks are in my shop here and have been since Monday. There's no sense in installing them yet because I still have to fabricate the exhaust pipe before I can put the front end back on.

roostin atc
03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Is your bubble machine gonna be ready for trikefest for me? I loved my Dg pipe. I know I know stock is what u want.

fabiodriven
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
OK, a lot of parts arrived yesterday. The only things I'm waiting on now are the exhaust pipe and the choke cable. The choke cable is in the mail and should arrive soon. I got an email this morning from the exhaust pipe people. They want me to call them. I'm sure it's not to tell me that my order is going to arrive early...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1018_zpsf51b090c.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1019_zpsb2e756c6.jpg

The superseded OEM seat cover is gray. It says YAMAHA on the back and nothing on the sides. Not so sure how gray is going to look on this bike, but hey...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1020_zpse2d2b292.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1021_zpsff8a57d8.jpg

This part here people are asking $50 USED on Ebay. Check what's still available guys! Got a brand new OEM one for $28!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1022_zpsb073deea.jpg

thestud25
03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Awesome! Can't wait for TF to see this bad boy!

P.S. you have such lovely dainty hands!:naughty:

Yamada
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
OK, a lot of parts arrived yesterday. The only things I'm waiting on now are the exhaust pipe and the choke cable. The choke cable is in the mail and should arrive soon. I got an email this morning from the exhaust pipe people. They want me to call them. I'm sure it's not to tell me that my order is going to arrive early...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1018_zpsf51b090c.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1019_zpsb2e756c6.jpg

The superseded OEM seat cover is gray. It says YAMAHA on the back and nothing on the sides. Not so sure how gray is going to look on this bike, but hey...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1020_zpse2d2b292.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1021_zpsff8a57d8.jpg

This part here people are asking $50 USED on Ebay. Check what's still available guys! Got a brand new OEM one for $28!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/1022_zpsb073deea.jpg

What is this part? I googled the part number and they just call it THE BOX!?

El Camexican
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Please post a sum total of your invoices when this is over.

fabiodriven
03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
What is this part? I googled the part number and they just call it THE BOX!?

That is the outer part of the battery box. It holds the battery in place.

Please post a sum total of your invoices when this is over.

I will do that.

fabiodriven
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
I suck at book keeping so I'll just give estimates for now.

1985 Yamaha YTM 225DRN- $600

Fuel to pick up machine- $180

OEM parts- $500

Aftermarket parts- $300

Mandrel bent stainless exhaust pipe- $120

Used parts- $200

That brings us to $1900. I realize that is a lot of money for this bike, but this is what I wanted. If I could have tossed somebody $1000 or $1200 for a nice, reliable runner, I would have. I was looking for a DR for about 2 months and hardly anything ever came up, never mind anything I could just hop on and ride. This bike is going to be ridden hard and compared to a Honda that is complete from soup to nuts, all stock. The point is to see what machine does what, and the only way to compare them is if they're in the same condition. That meant bringing the Yamaha back to stock. Every bolt, grommet, spring, and washer will be in place as they were when this machine left the factory. Or at least it'll be 90% or better. When people come look at this machine in my shop, they always ask about the numbers. When I tell them what I have into this machine, they always say "But it'll be worth a lot more than that when it's done". Then I have to correct them and tell them no, it will probably be worth $1000 or $1200 when it's done. It's a labor of love, and I'm positive I am going to love this machine up in the mountains or riding next to my dame on the SX. You can't put a price tag on that.

redsox
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
bingo. well said.

yamaha225dr
03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't have much to update on the headpipe search. I am two thousand miles from home and my parents are looking but haven't found it yet! Maybe it will be found by 4013!

El Camexican
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
I didn’t mean to pry, it’s just that I dumped a lot of coin and stupid amounts of time into my 200 and a lot of people just don’t get what it takes to pull something like this off. It makes me cringe when people look at a running trike with good tires listed at $1,000 and say ‘It’s not worth that much”. Maybe not to them, or to resell, but I for one would much rather start with an “over-priced” good condition trike than a $300 basket case. The difference spent on the better machine is quickly made back when the parts have all arrived. Ask anyone that restores cars and they will always tell you that rule #1 is don’t start with junk if you don’t have to.

If you get it done the way you want and looking good for under 3K you’ll have done well and few if any will have an equal ride. If you open the engine I bet you’ll add another grand. Keep posting!

ezmoney1979
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
If you open the engine I bet you’ll add another grand. Keep posting!
By all means do not open the engine, I repeat, do not open!!

fabiodriven
03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
No worries boys. She runs like a dream and assuming the clutches are in good shape there is absolutely no need to open the engine up.I'm not even going to change the spark plug.

the great gazoo
03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
"Not so sure how grey is going to look on this bike, but hey...."
Grey goes with everything, I'm sure it'll look great.
It IS crazy how much we dump into these things & what they're actually worth when it's all said & done. I think I've got well over 1500 into my '85 SX, it was the one
that started it all back in '06, and I just procured an '86 for the sealed rear brake(in fantastic condition) & a lot of other stuff I need, when I'm finished I'll probably have almost 3K into it..............................

fabiodriven
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Dan came to my shop this morning at probably 9 am and ripped into the DR for me. He was probably here until 2. I was too busy with customers to be much of any help to him. What a friend. March is a very busy month for me, so I haven't been able to put a wrench on this machine as much as I would have liked. All I'm waiting on now is the stupid exhaust pipe which will hopefully be here soon, we'll see. Dan installed a crap-ton of the new parts I had ordered though, and he has saved me hours. She should be up and rolling soon.

ShaftDrive225dx
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Amen there is no price on that i agree...

Yamaha3wheeler
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
pictures! We want some more pics !

TecateDan
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Once the exhaust is done the rest could be assembled in under 3 hours. Don't forget to order that rear tail light and a throttle cable buddy... Remember the cotter pin in the foot brake brake needs to be changed and the arm on the front brake needs to be realigned on the splines.

Dan came to my shop this morning at probably 9 am and ripped into the DR for me. He was probably here until 2. I was too busy with customers to be much of any help to him. What a friend. March is a very busy month for me, so I haven't been able to put a wrench on this machine as much as I would have liked. All I'm waiting on now is the stupid exhaust pipe which will hopefully be here soon, we'll see. Dan installed a crap-ton of the new parts I had ordered though, and he has saved me hours. She should be up and rolling soon.

fabiodriven
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Do I need a throttle cable? I thought it was ok, no? I just ordered a used tail light from Ebay. That's en route. My pipes for the exhaust showed up today. Figures... Dan had to take his welder back today to continue with the 500 build and the pipes show up the same day he takes it. Oh well...

It's really not worth taking pics right now. It's still apart most of the way. Dan just installed a whole bunch of cables and did some basic assembly.

Here's my current issue that I need you Yami gurus to coach me on. The air box is complete and I bought a new air filter. When you put the filter in the air box, it just pushes forward from the rear of the box towards the front. There isn't anything really to hold it in place. It looks like the air box lid is supposed to press up against the back of the filter to hold the element in place, but the lid doesn't contact the filter and it just hangs loose in there. There is no way I'm leaving it like that. How do you guys deal with the air filter?

Bryan Raffa
03-27-2013, 08:08 PM
man .. you should have just bought mine... your gonna have a mint into that!

El Camexican
03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Here's my current issue that I need you Yami gurus to coach me on. The air box is complete and I bought a new air filter. When you put the filter in the air box, it just pushes forward from the rear of the box towards the front. There isn't anything really to hold it in place. It looks like the air box lid is supposed to press up against the back of the filter to hold the element in place, but the lid doesn't contact the filter and it just hangs loose in there. There is no way I'm leaving it like that. How do you guys deal with the air filter?

Ok, keep in mind my insight is based on the 200 which I am pretty sure is the same. That said do you have the stock filter cage? It should be a screen housing molded into an off-white plastic flange that has two tabs 180 degrees to each other. On the other end of this flange should be a foam ring that seals against the air-box when installed. It may have come off over the years, but you MUST have one in order to seal the unit. On the back of the housing is a flat metal plate that a plastic disk bolts to with a wing-nut. This disk is what holds the actual filter on. The filter is just a foam tube that slides onto the housing and is held in place by this disk. Be sure to lube it and don’t ever use a dry filter on that trike.

When the unit is oiled and assembled you should grease the foam ring at the front and with the two tabs facing up and down force the assembly against the air-box and push the lower tab into the slot that should exist just below the air inlet hole and force it down. Make sure the foam ring is well glued to the plastic plate or it will slide up and you’ll be sucking unfiltered air. At this point the rear of the filter should be sitting on a saddle that protrudes from the bottom of the air-box. On the air box cover there should be a similar saddle that clamps down onto the filter when installed and holds it in place.

Did all this make sense? If not I’ll dig into the manual tomorrow and see what your beast has for a filter.

MonroeMike
03-27-2013, 09:07 PM
^
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=109&section=4082&year=1985&make=YAMAHA&category=ATVs&dc=5924&name=AIR+FILTER

Full link.
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4082&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=1985&fveh=109

El Camexican
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey Mike! That set up is way different than the 200.

fabiodriven
03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
^
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=109§ion=4082&year=1985&make=YAMAHA&category=ATVs&dc=5924&name=AIR+FILTER

Full link.
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4082&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=1985&fveh=109

I looked on the fiche earlier Mike. That was the first place I looked. It appears as though I have all the parts, but it's just flopping around in there. Something isn't right.

Also, where and how does the CDI mount? Anyone got a pic?

man .. you should have just bought mine... your gonna have a mint into that!

You should have offered! I had a running ad with a link to it in my signature for 2 months! I drove 5.5 hours to give the money to a stranger, I would have gladly given it to a friend! Not only that, but I've honestly enjoyed ordering all of these OEM parts and watching them come together like a puzzle. I'll know exactly what I have when I'm done.

Yamaha3wheeler
03-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I'll snap a pic of my cdi mounted for you if I get some time this weekend.

atc007
03-30-2013, 11:00 AM
4331 views and Eleven pages,,and he hasn't even started assembly yet !! Only Fabio !! I can grab you a pic of a 225 DR cdi mounted if you need. Having a party today,will check in tonight.

trizilla
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
does your filter cage still have the foam ring on the front? if that is missing( not all that uncommon) it will not tighten up correctly. also your airbox lid is directional. it may not force seal if it is installed incorrectly. as far as parts, you've got a filter cage, filter, filter cage end, and your cap. alot of the older yamaha's and even some newer used this style of filter cage. maybe you have a shorter cage from another model?

fabiodriven
04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Work has been absolutely flat-out lately and when the snow melted in my yard, the true wrath of old man winter was revealed. My yard is absolutely blanketed with broken tree limbs and there is some massive vine system killing all of my trees. My new chainsaw is earning its keep (thank you Scooter). Great story, I know.

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies and I'll be back on it soon!

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I just saw it an hour or so ago and it's looking good!!

Amazing how many OEM parts he was able to get!

redsox
04-02-2013, 04:54 PM
I just saw it an hour or so ago and it's looking good!!

Amazing how many OEM parts he was able to get!

Prove it! pics

fabiodriven
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
More parts!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0012_zps38989017.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0013_zpsd57a0583.jpg

fabiodriven
04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm running short on patience and time here. Spring time is such a busy time of year for me both at work and at home. I've ixnayed the custom front pipe idea, at least for the time being. I bought a used head pipe and muffler from fleabay last night and this stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Satin-Black-High-Temperature-Exhaust-Coating-Paint-/370781365279?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item56544aa41f&vxp=mtr to coat the entire exhaust in. If I need to make the pipe out of stainless later, I will.

I have a feeling work might be slow enough today to get some shite done, so I'm gonna go hit it now. Maybe I'll have enough progress to take some :pics:

fabiodriven
04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
If anyone has just one of the clamps that goes on the lower part of the fork boot, I would gladly shoot someone a couple of bucks to toss one in the mail. Apparently I didn't realize I was missing one. Thank you.

tri-Z ripper
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm running short on patience and time here. Spring time is such a busy time of year for me both at work and at home. I've ixnayed the custom front pipe idea, at least for the time being. I bought a used head pipe and muffler from fleabay last night and this stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Satin-Black-High-Temperature-Exhaust-Coating-Paint-/370781365279?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item56544aa41f&vxp=mtr to coat the entire exhaust in. If I need to make the pipe out of stainless later, I will.

I have a feeling work might be slow enough today to get some shite done, so I'm gonna go hit it now. Maybe I'll have enough progress to take some :pics:

I have used the spray on from auto zone its a ultrta high heat ceramic paint. I actually used an old oven to bake it on after like powder coat almost. Holding up well still no chips or rust. Also just got a supertrapp exhaust with i believe the same stuff you just posted. its much thicker than the coating i have used. Awesome collection of OEM parts especially the tool kit!!! i have the tool kit for my Z almost looks the same. do the wrenches have Yamaha stamped on them?

fabiodriven
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I got some assembly done today. She's coming together great, but there is still a ways to go. I have a few more parts that need installation and I have a lot of adjustments to make yet. I'm going to keep the stock seat cover in place for the time being and cover the rips with some black duct tape. This is not me being lazy or cheap. I already bought a new OEM seat cover. I just don't want to take the old one off until it's really ugly. They're too hard to come by to not get every ounce of usage out of it.

One of the jobs I tackled today was the front wheel bearings. I had ordered them initially, but they weren't listed in my aftermarket parts dealer's book and he forgot to tell me he couldn't find them. I ordered them after the fact, OEM, with my second OEM parts order. The old bearings didn't feel that bad to me, but I always have to remind myself this machine is older than my girlfriend. I decided to replace the bearings regardless, and I am glad I did. I am telling this little story with this picture to remind some of the people I know and see on here that this stuff needs to be checked up on just out of principal. These machines are old. Just start replacing everything.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0015_zps3df7b055.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0020_zps40730a03.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0019_zpsd2985ac7.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0018_zpse3bb7e57.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0017_zps68f77336.jpg

TecateDan
04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh yea... Get it rag!!!

I told you those front bearings were shot and your front tire is on backwards dude!!!

jays375
04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Has come a long way.Looking good!Should be a reliable machine.

redsox
04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
looks bad-nuts!!!!! is that thing making an appearance soon????? its like the official bruins trike!! colors look mint all cleaned up. never really liked the look of those yamas but i may be swayed when i see that thing. first class job kid. well done.

ColtonGG33
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Is the seat ripped? You did a really good job man, wish my dx looked like that :)

ColtonGG33
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Oh and where are you buying your parts at I would love to have a tool kit for mine

fabiodriven
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Is the seat ripped? You did a really good job man, wish my dx looked like that :)

I got some assembly done today. She's coming together great, but there is still a ways to go. I have a few more parts that need installation and I have a lot of adjustments to make yet. I'm going to keep the stock seat cover in place for the time being and cover the rips with some black duct tape. This is not me being lazy or cheap. I already bought a new OEM seat cover. I just don't want to take the old one off until it's really ugly. They're too hard to come by to not get every ounce of usage out of it.

Thank you for the compliment, but read a little more carefully please Colton.

If you read a little more instead of just looking at the pictures, you would see that most of the parts I have been ordering are OEM. That means Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case, Yamaha. You can get Yamaha parts at thousands of locations nation wide. I used Partzilla for OEM parts on this build, and Ebay for aftermarket parts and NOS parts. NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide. No it doesn't, but I bet you thought it did. NOS stands for New Old Stock, and those are brand new OEM parts that have been discontinued, or are obsolete.

looks bad-nuts!!!!! is that thing making an appearance soon????? its like the official bruins trike!! colors look mint all cleaned up. never really liked the look of those yamas but i may be swayed when i see that thing. first class job kid. well done.

It should be out on the ride after this one Dan. Thanks a lot, but it's not done yet. :D

El Camexican
04-03-2013, 10:33 PM
your front tire is on backwards dude!!!

You sure about that? Looks right to me. Front tread is for braking, not acceleration.

aldochina
04-04-2013, 01:36 AM
lookin good Fabs, must have been cool to hit the showroom back then and see this sinister looking blacked out yammi amoung all the bright colored models of the day!! I spent my days drooling at honda dealerships as a kid!! Too bad i couldnt snap up that cheapie for ya. I tried.

fabiodriven
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I had asked if anyone could supply me with a pic of the CDI mounted and I'm pretty sure it was this fine gentleman who posted one for me. I just came back to reference the pic and it appears to be gone? Did anyone ever post a pic or am I imagining this? Either way, I could still use a pic of where the CDI goes. Thanks again.

I'll snap a pic of my cdi mounted for you if I get some time this weekend.

Dirtcrasher
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
^ You have DC syndrome; I gave it to you at the shop yesterday :D

the great gazoo
04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
The wait is over! So glad I can finally get a good night's sleep! Looking good, man.

fabiodriven
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
^ You have DC syndrome; I gave it to you at the shop yesterday :D

A pic of where the CDI goes?

El Camexican
04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
A pic of where the CDI goes?

I have one from the manual if that will help. It's not perfectly clear, but it seems to show it to the right-hand side of the carb mounted on what looks to be a thin metal tab that comes off the bottom of the frame tube. If you unit has a rubber ring around it with a second thin slot that would be what slides over the tab and keeps it in place. Let me know if you want the scan.

fabiodriven
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I see the tab Mexinadian! I hadn't noticed it before! Now I have to order the damn strap... Crud...

EDIT- I just looked again at the Partzilla fiche and it appears as though the CDI bolts up somehow on the opposite side of the bike as that tab. It almost looks like it bolts to the front of the battery box.

El Camexican
04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
I see the tab Mexinadian! I hadn't noticed it before! Now I have to order the damn strap... Crud...

EDIT- I just looked again at the Partzilla fiche and it appears as though the CDI bolts up somehow on the opposite side of the bike as that tab. It almost looks like it bolts to the front of the battery box.

El Camexican
04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Are we perhaps talking about a rectifier? I see those bolt onto frames and battey boxes, but the CDI's on everything I own are rubber mounted in some way. As you can see in the drawing it is nowhere near the battey. Just to confirm these images are for a 225DXK and DXL

atc007
04-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Image WAS here! HE DID POST IT ????? Anyhow,,to my best recollection,yes it was on front of the battery box. I can look in the am if you need me too. Doing Syrup,so won't be on here much :)

MonroeMike
04-05-2013, 10:54 PM

El Camexican
04-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Mike's photo matches my manual.

TecateDan
04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Jesus when are you going to finish that thing

fabiodriven
04-11-2013, 10:13 AM

That's the fuse holder, not the CDI. I still would like to mount that the way it's supposed to be, but I can't find that strap on the fiche for the life of me. Thank you just the same though.

I know you arse-clowns prefer to toss things together when you're half asleep and half in the wrapper after working a 10 hour day and stay up until all hours of the morning when you can't even see straight, but that's not how I roll. I take my time with my stuff and do it at my leisure. Hence my machines unquestionable reliability and attention to detail, while other's machines blow up and fall apart on the trail.

The bike is currently assembled and it's just details holding it up from being officially done right now. The only big thing holding it back now is the exhaust. I bought a complete used factory exhaust for it last week from eBay. It was pretty solid except for the baffle, which was rotted out. Thankfully the baffle I already had is in good, serviceable condition so I was able to get a partial refund on the unit I bought and stick the baffle I already had in there. I broke both of the screws that hold the heat shield on the head pipe, so I am currently in the process of extracting those so I can prep and coat the entire exhaust.

Other than the exhaust, all the other things I'm doing are minor details. Those are as follows-

Straighten bent foot pegs.

Straighten bent rear brake foot pedal mounting shaft.

Straighten bent shifter.

Acquire and replace parts for headlight adjuster.

Figure out where the gall-dang CDI mounts to and mount it.

Fix air filter.

Acquire battery acid to fill the OEM battery that shipped dry and sans acid on the side.

Acquire and install small spring for the front brake.

Remove, straighten, and reinstall front brake actuation lever.

Check diff fluid and change as needed.

Change oil.

Acquire and install various stainless bolts and screws to replace existing crappy Phillips head screws.

The bike should be on our next ride for its first ride report and trail pictures. Thank you all.

MonroeMike
04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
That's the fuse holder, not the CDI.

The CDI is the box mounted behind the fuse holder. But it's irrelevant.
My pic and El Camexican's manual page are for a DX. The DR's mount differently. I found this in another manual (figure 21). Sorry for the confusion.

fabiodriven
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Sweet! Thank you Mike!

Unfortunately I don't have anything on my battery box that the CDI would mount up to, so I'm guessing I must have a DX box? No big deal, I'll just have to mount it somewhere else.

dougspcs
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY!!!

http://youtu.be/9ffL573XI50

Page 13 and still nothing to show the class..only Fabio could draw this kind of audience!

:lol:

El Camexican
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Sweet! Thank you Mike!

Unfortunately I don't have anything on my battery box that the CDI would mount up to, so I'm guessing I must have a DX box? No big deal, I'll just have to mount it somewhere else.

Here is the correct part you will need to properly mount it "Somewhere else":lol:

fabiodriven
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY!!!

Page 13 and still nothing to show the class..only Fabio could draw this kind of audience!

:lol:

What, these don't count?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0020_zps40730a03.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0019_zpsd2985ac7.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0018_zpse3bb7e57.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0017_zps68f77336.jpg

El Camexican
04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I see cat food, but I don't see no cats.

fabiodriven
04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't understand what you tit heads want.

jb2wheels
04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I wanted to see somebody write "tit heads" in a response. My day is complete now!

The trike looks great BTW!

the great gazoo
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I KNEW "tit-heads" would come out in this thread! I knew it!!!

90guy
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Nice Looking trike Fabio! I also love all the original insults that have been included into this build thread!!:lol::beer

El Camexican
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM

I love the hype that is tied to this restoration. Six thousand hits and counting, the 3WW servers almost crashing every time a new post is added, demands for daily updates by a trike thirsty mob and all over a stock 225!!! The pressures’ on Flab, build or break! Post or part it out! Time to quit your day job and appease the flock with a TV reality show, perhaps called “Trike Dynasty”? Ok, maybe that’s taking it a little too far, but you’d better start posting regularly or it could get ugly!

fabiodriven
04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Well if you guys are chomping at the bit that bad, I'll give you the update. It really doesn't seem that exciting to me, but here you are anyways.

One of the mechanics from the shop across the street came in to drop off a truck yesterday and he saw my head pipe sitting there with the heat shield screws drilled out soaking in Kroil. He said he could blast those out no problem and he left with the pipe. He came back about 15 minutes later and said he couldn't get them out, but he would grind the bosses off and weld some nice new nuts in their place. I told him that's fine. So he's still got the head pipe. I know, ground breaking stuff here.

El Camexican
04-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Well if you guys are chomping at the bit that bad, I'll give you the update. It really doesn't seem that exciting to me, but here you are anyways.

One of the mechanics from the shop across the street came in to drop off a truck yesterday and he saw my head pipe sitting there with the heat shield screws drilled out soaking in Kroil. He said he could blast those out no problem and he left with the pipe. He came back about 15 minutes later and said he couldn't get them out, but he would grind the bosses off and weld some nice new nuts in their place. I told him that's fine. So he's still got the head pipe. I know, ground breaking stuff here.

Well that's something, but I still feel empty inside and could use a little more to get through the weekend. Maybe you could post some photos of the truck he dropped off?

fabiodriven
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
It was a real gem. '05 F-250 with a 5.4.

So what's the story with the SE Racing front fender? I've never heard of them.

El Camexican
04-13-2013, 01:47 AM
That's the fuse holder, not the CDI. I still would like to mount that the way it's supposed to be, but I can't find that strap on the fiche for the life of me.

Could this be it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-85-Yamaha-225DX-YTM225-CDI-Ignitor-Igniter-Mount-/200902196308?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6b43c54&vxp=mtr#ht_707wt_965

Bryan Raffa
04-13-2013, 12:30 PM

I want a cat sittin on that seat covering up that nasty seat... eating food out of your hand.. and you with the grumpy cat face.... that will make me happy!

El Camexican
05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I hate to point out the obvious but...

TecateDan
05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Update please.... Got a text trailprotrailpro gonna walk all over the sx so I'd like to see some photographic proof

fabiodriven
05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
So the DR had been sitting here for a while at varying states of completion. For a couple of weeks, it had been sitting there at about 90% complete. I got on it the other day and started buttoning things up. It's still got a couple of really small details to take care of, but she is rideable. I've only ever ridden this thing on the street outside of my shop, but my first impression is that it will indeed walk all over the SX. The bike feels a lot lighter and more nimble than the SX to me, and also faster. I'm curious to see how the ground clearance is in the mountains though. It's definitely lower than the SX, so we'll see how she does up there. Unfortunately, there won't be time to take it into the mountains until after Trikefest at some point. The machine runs like a Swiss watch though, which is obviously a good thing. The Eastwood Exhaust Coating seems to have adhered greatly and I think it will be a great product, although it wasn't cheap.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0100_zps2f49115c.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0100_zps2f49115c.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0101_zps10528af3.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0101_zps10528af3.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0102_zps2f3501bf.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0102_zps2f3501bf.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0104_zps0afd528f.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0104_zps0afd528f.jpg.html)

thestud25
05-23-2013, 10:43 AM
So, will we see this at TF?

Also, are you bringing the KLT160 this year?

fabiodriven
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
So, will we see this at TF?

Also, are you bringing the KLT160 this year?

The DR will be there, the 160 will not. One thing I have to do is get the headlight working on the DR. The tail light works, and I changed the bulb in the headlight, but it still doesn't work right now.

tri-Z ripper
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
looks Great! looking forward to seeing it this summer!

86T3
05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I knew a smart man like you would like it better than an sx. Looks nice, bood work

TecateDan
05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
I here this is the hands down favorite to win the tf hare scramble

El Camexican
05-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Do they sell slightly faded black duct tape, or did you have to paint it to match the seat?:lol:

Seriously, it looks sharp. I wish my YTM had a spring on the back.

tblumer
05-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I wish my YTM had a spring on the back.

Mine does :naughty:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/Tblumer/ytm200/IMG_20130513_163622_zps4d57260e.jpg (http://s837.photobucket.com/user/Tblumer/media/ytm200/IMG_20130513_163622_zps4d57260e.jpg.html)

muthey
06-22-2013, 03:02 AM
hey Fabio are you still looking for a battery holder, I have one in good condition if you are interested

muthey
06-22-2013, 11:38 PM
ok never mind I just see you got one, had to go through 8 pages to see, but if anyone else is looking for one let me know it is sitting in my parts box for a reasonable price, complete holder with the foam cushions, but no battery cover "not the box cover that is there"

leevarnado
06-23-2013, 08:11 AM
i had a problem with the headlight on my 225dx.i ended up cleaning the headlight socket contacts with a small wire brush,works like it should now.also try running a hot wire from the battery to the headlight,or vice versa with a ground wire.

IronBear
07-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Your DR looks good Fabio. I'd like to find both the headlight guard and heel guards for my trike :)

leevarnado
07-21-2013, 12:52 PM
ironbear,i have a few nos headlight guards,$100 shipped.

Your DR looks good Fabio. I'd like to find both the headlight guard and heel guards for my trike :)

IronBear
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
ironbear,i have a few nos headlight guards,$100 shipped.

Send me a message and we'll talk about price. Thanks.

fabiodriven
08-20-2013, 12:16 AM
So after bringing both my DR and SX to Mik6's this weekend the consensus is final.

The SX is by far the superior machine. I haven't brought the DR up to the mountains in NH yet, and to be honest I'd be nervous doing so. I can't really trust the DR. The electrical system is one of it's big downfalls in my opinion, followed shortly thereafter by the suspension. Power and shifting seem fine, as well as braking, although I've had to adjust the rear a lot in a short time of riding. I'm curious if I've gone through a ton of brake pad or if the brand new cables might be settling in a bit. The SX rides much, much smoother and handles better all around, with the exception of very tight turns. I'm talking about turns that are so tight it really doesn't matter though, especially where both machines have reverse. I've heard the DR is faster and even if that is true, it's only in a straight line on blacktop or gravel, and that really doesn't matter. I can go faster in the woods on the SX than the DR, and that's where it really matters. The DR has a pull start and is an absolute b!tch to pull over if the electric fails. Bad idea by Yamaha. My buddy actually broke his finger trying to start it two weeks ago, no exaggeration. Like, he had to go to the hospital and get x-rays and have it set broken. Not a sprain. The airbox is a total abortion and makes no sense to me. It's not a bad machine, but it's no SX. Now that I've figured that out, I really don't know what to do with it. :rolleyes:

aldochina
08-20-2013, 12:25 AM
never had a doubt on the outcome of this comparo!! Too bad it was acting up a bit, and i was feeling like crap, woulda liked to take it for a peel!! Looks cool, no doubt about that!! Hope you keep it after all the time and money invested!!

fabiodriven
08-20-2013, 12:53 AM
never had a doubt on the outcome of this comparo!! Too bad it was acting up a bit, and i was feeling like crap, woulda liked to take it for a peel!! Looks cool, no doubt about that!! Hope you keep it after all the time and money invested!!

I wish I had known you were interested. It was probably good enough to take out to the sand flats at Mik's barn. I took it out there first thing Friday morning in anticipation of a breakdown, and breakdown it did. After about 5 hard laps around the flats (I run my bikes hard) it quit on me. I think it was something electrical, but I never found our for sure. I spent about 15 minutes taking it apart (because you have to unbolt the rear fenders as opposed to the entire rear fender coming off with a lever like the honda, bad move Yamaha) and looking at the electrical system, to which I saw now obvious failure. I unplugged the ignition and pulled the engine over manually (using both hands) and it fired on the first pull. I plugged the ignition back in and everything worked fine, so I just rode it back to the barn and parked it for the weekend. You could have tried it out though.

tri-Z ripper
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hear that John. i thought you were going to make that the daily driver, i picked up a couple SX's as well and i really want to get out for a ride. how's next weekend looking anyone up for saturday the 31st at Hinsdale or fire pond?

El Camexican
08-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Did you replace the rear brake cable? If the back brake is anything like the 200 (cable turns a worm gear against one pad and forces it against the disc which rides on splines on the axle) then you will find that the cable stretches a lot for the first few rides and you will have to mess around between adjusting it and the cables. Once the cable stops stretching you will be able to leave it alone for multiple rides.

So does it wheelie?

redsox
08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
i'm kinda sorry to hear that you're so disenchanted with that rig. I love how it looks. it made me wanna go get one. i looked at four or five of em' since your build, but never found "the right one." the good news is that the sx seems to be the winner walking away. i knew i had good taste.