PDA

View Full Version : 84 big red indicator lights dim and no start

mgenest
03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Might neutral light always lit up green and the bike would always start. First noticed about a week ago when I went to start it. Could not get the neutral light to come on, eventually it did but seemed like a loose connection. Now it has gone to both neutral and reverse light lighting up very dim and cannot start with the e-start (pull start will start the bike). Sounds like a ground issue to me but not sure.

Thanks in advance for anyones help..

kb0nly
03-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Check the connections to the neutral and reverse switches, left side down by the hi/low/rev shifter. Take all the connections apart, clean them, and reconnect. Check all your grounds as well. The usual culprit is a bad connection or short. The neutral light is turned on by the neutral switch grounding the wire to it completing the circuit, so if it was on all the time it could have been a bad switch but that doesn't fit since both are now dimly lit. I would go through all the connections.

Another thought you will have to consider... It might be time for a new CDI unit. The CDI could be causing the dimly lit indicators and only starting with the pull start as well, i had that happen.

mgenest
03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I think I will start with the connections. Thanks man.