PDA

View Full Version : Trikes on the road

jakey
12-13-2003, 01:02 PM
hey iwas thinking of purchasing a 200x, but i ride alot on roads, how would one handle? i know i have a old 125 and it flat out sucks on pavement.

thankx, Bama

jdparsons1
12-13-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't think any trike is going to handle that great on pavement. a 200x is alot better than a 125 though. I had a 125 and 110 and they were pretty tippy. Put the 18" tires on the back of the 200x and you'll get alot more stability from it. Plus the fact that it has suspension makes it much nicer.

honda200
12-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey

I got a 1986 Honda 200X, they are a blast, i would suggest gettin it, as for the roads, i can honestly say i have taken it down the road a couple of times, they are pretty quick (well, they feel like it) just, no high speed turns on pavement!! Also, if the cops see you, you better hope you can out run them or something, it is pretty illegal around here

Curtis

jakey
12-13-2003, 01:22 PM
i think maybe 125's handle so bad on pavement is cause of the fat front tire

Bumb
12-13-2003, 02:00 PM
I take my big red on the road all the time. To go from my house to trails or to a friends house. Handles fine on the road. Except on small loose gravel. I just slip on them. But other then that its fine.

jakey
12-13-2003, 02:49 PM
are there some mods or special tires i can get to help it out on the road?, like extended axle, hoosier racing tires, what kind of front would work best?

christmas is right around the corner :-D

350XXX
12-13-2003, 07:51 PM
the hoosiers are too soft of a compound and wear out really fast on the paveent. they used to make an asphalt tire for racing, Gold something. they were kinda high if i remember correctly. something like $150 each. i have had several trikes on the road and the ones with balloon front tires seem to handle worse. i have ridden hundreds of miles literally on the pavement on an 85 big red. i liked Turf Tamers the best on the pavement because the wear better and cost less. here in southern Indiana, its legal to ride on county roads if you register your trike with the DNR. $30 for three years. just went up in June from $6 for three years.

AirManCam
12-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Actually Hoosiers are available in hard compound or softcoumpound. But most Hoosiers are made for hardcompact and take the wear really really well. Also they are very very grippy on pavment. I have a set of tri-tracks for the X