PDA

View Full Version : tecate ???'s

mudduck14843
12-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Ok... so i know even less about kawi's then i do honda's,
here's the q i have ...
Are the tecate quads the same as the trikes?(except the front end obviously)
The reason i ask is i was thinking about getting one i saw 4 sale and converting it to a trike.
If they aren't the same design would a set of tecate tree's (maybe even honda) work with minimal mods?

what about the sub frame is that bolted on or welded?
i haven't had the opertunity to really get a look at how the front end of quads are designed.
any info would be greatly apreciated.

Jeb
12-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Well, with enough time and money you can do anything.

But the Tecate4 is a whole different animal than the Tecate 3-Wheelers. #1 the motor looks similar to the 86/87 KXT but it was totally revamped for the 4 wheeler. The engine was given a counter balancer. which reulted in different engine cases. Also I believe it has a 6 speed tranny and the trikes are all 5 speeds. They also gave the 4 a thumb throttle, while the trikes were twisters from the factory. The swingarm is different. the way the shock sits in the frame, the linkage is under the swingarm, the carrier is an eccentric type like the hondas in stead of a "swing" type like the trikes. Even the caliper is different as it's a floating unit. and yes, the subframe on the 4 is removable. I would pick up the 4 wheeler, keep it the way it is, sell it and buy a Tecate-3.

:D