PDA

View Full Version : hondaline speedo lubrication..

dustrunner
02-25-2013, 09:27 PM
just got a mint speedometer with low miles but it wont turn.... i put a correct good cable in and it wont turn...does anyone have any suggestions in getting it to work ??:wondering

dougspcs
02-25-2013, 11:02 PM
So if you mean the speedo head is siezed and won't turn you're pretty boned!!

I don't think it's a serviceable component..

dustrunner
02-26-2013, 12:10 AM
ya, i put the correct cable in it and it wont turn...got it oiled up hoping that will work ?

kb0nly
02-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Most likely its the gears in the speedo, i have taken apart and rebuilt a few of them now, your definitely not "boned" but its going to take some work.

First thing i would try is some pb blaster in and around the shaft that the cable goes into on the back of the speedo. Let it soak overnight, then get a piece of bar stock the same size as the cable end, i found a chunk in the assorted metal bin at the local hardware store, then put that in and try giving it a bit of a turn back and forth a bit to try and free it up. If it turns then use that metal to make a short piece to put in a drill and spin it up slowly and see if you get a speed reading.

If still nothing then you need to remove the front bezel and glass and get inside to work on it further. I did a writeup on here about tearing into a speedo and putting it back together, its not impossible, but it is a pain.

atc007
02-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Or,you can sell it to me :) Was this the one without a face on it? How did surgery go?

dustrunner
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
no, still waiting on it...???? surgery wasnt very good 2 hr. 45 min. they found damaged cartlidge also...pm sent

Marty
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Make sure the cable goes up far enough on your speedo! I once could not figure out why mine wouldn't turn well find out it was when I installed the cable, I didn't push cable far enough up before I tightened down cable. And here in Az I had my speedo serviced before technician told me it was no prob but also told me those speedos do not seal very well and if I continued to take to dunes I could severely damage speedo

dustrunner
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
ya, i push the cable all the way up and then put the transmission on it...its on my desk... just wont turn ...tries to turn the whole speedo....