PDA

View Full Version : 1983 ATC 200e Big red, can it have reverse????

hawaiirider
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
:confused: i stuffed a 200e (chain drive) motor in my x, i heard along time ago - 1990s there was a kit or way of transforming the hi lo range box which is fairly usless for me anyways (dune riding only) into a reverse gear? im positive i heard it can be done but havent ever seen anything on it does anyone know any more info?
thanks

MRSOUND
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
There was a kit made by a company called Paltec. It included 2 sprockets and a chain that replaced 2 gears inside the hi-low gear box. The one in the thread below is now in the hands of another member. He looked into having them reproduced at local machine shop at a cost of $500 - $1000 set up fee and then another $150 per gear sprocket set. Good luck finding one! I've been looking for the same reason.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142956-Honda-82-83-ATC-Big-Red-Paltec-reverse-kit?highlight=Paltec+reverse+kit

hawaiirider
02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
dam sounds like no reverse no matter what.....:(

hawaiirider
02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
i really dont want to give up on this reverse gear anyone else have any more info? is it a huge fab job to make a working reverse? what about just having a sliding extra gear that makes the bikes box rotate backwards?

66gil
02-07-2023, 09:23 PM
hawaiirider - I'm not sure this thread is still alive but has anyone thought or tried one of these Go Cart reverse gear boxes adapted to a Big Red 200e or similar without reverse? Looks like it could be modded to fit next to the chain cover with some creative brackettrie...Also a lot of these listed on Amazon...
https://www.gokartsupply.com/gearbox.htm

MrConcdid
02-12-2023, 07:17 PM
I had a 200e with reverse it had the kit installed, as mentioned before, you loose high and low range you will only have high range (plus all the gears 1,2,3,4)
The chain in the kit was the weak link, the chain broke and cracked the sub trans housing, I ended up replacing the gearset and housing back to OE.
It did work and worked fine. the kits do pop up on ebay, but they are not cheap.

MrC.