PDA

View Full Version : big red 200es stalls-electrical issue

Aregistereduser
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
so my big red 200es is a very strong running machine, will sit there and idle all day, no leaks or ticks in the motor, but just randomly it will stall, and not want to start back up, unless i play with the high, low and reverse ranges. For some reason switching back and forth from high to low to reverse and so on a few times, will allow my machine to start up again. The cause for the stalling, and not wanting to start im thinking is maybe theres a short in the wiring that doesnt allow the machine to start in reverse. Has anyone else expierenced this issue? if so how did you fix it? I'm thinking about just snipping the wires if it comes down to it, but i dont want to ruin anything i dont have to.

kb0nly
02-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Its usually a bad reverse switch thats hanging up causing it, you can just unplug the wire to the reverse switch, but when it does this is the red reverse light lit up also? It could also be the CDI, i had random stalling issues on my 200ES and it was driving me nuts, then i rewired for a newer CDI since the 200ES uses kind of an oddball CDI thats very expensive to replace. I did a full writeup on here on this problem, you can get a new CDI and connector for under $20 and replace it if thats the problem. I would try unplugging the reverse switch wire first just to check it out.

Aregistereduser
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
thanks for the advice. went out the other day and unplugged the wire, and it kept stalling, and now its just completely gone, its getting absolute 0 spark even after playing with the shifter, so it officially kicked the bucket. i will be sure to read your write up, thanks.

kb0nly
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Time for a new CDI... I would almost bet on the CDI. You can double check other things, wiring connections, plug wire, etc. But its acting a lot like many others have dealt with when the CDI was failing.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144910-1984-200ES-CDI-Replacement-MythBusted..?highlight=CDI

All the info i posted on this subject.