PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 Still Not Running"God I Hate Hondas"

42F67N
12-12-2003, 04:05 PM
I got a manuel for the bike adjusted the points and the timing ,bike has spark, i redid the carb unhooked the kill switch to make sure it wasent that bike has compression and the damn bike still wont run.

I paid 350 for a atc 70 that ran for a grand total of about 10 mins and died man did i get dicked,nice christmas present for my kid huh, a bike that dont run lol

jdparsons1
12-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Take the spark plug out and spray a squirt of gas in the hole and see if it fires. If you have compression and you are sure your timing is right it should at least fire. When it ran, did it run smooth or was it choppy?

Mobular
12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
If you are that frustrated, just take it to a shop and let them get it going.....
It's not the machine's fault.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Bad Honda! Bad Honda, go to your room and think about what you have done! Sounds like a compression or carb issue try what JD said if it doesnt fire, fuel problem! Did you try bump starting it?

42F67N
12-12-2003, 06:50 PM
I removed the carb again and sprayed starting fliud directly in and still nothing ,so i was reading the manuel and it was saying about adjusting the valves so i took the top cover over and checked the valve it was a little tight so i go to remove the bottom cover and it snapped off so now the threads for the cover are stuck down in the head i give up, i have surrendered to the honda i will fight it no more lol

It only ran for about 5 min or 10 minas after i bought it for him so i really couldnt say how it ran.

jdparsons1
12-12-2003, 06:56 PM
It can't be much. How much compression do you have? I had sort of the same problem on a 90 i've been working on and thought it had a good amount of compression but didn't do a test on it. Ended up not having enought to run. My friend showed me a trick where he pulled the head off and spayed some starting fluid (could use anything) over the valves and the exhaust valve was bent and all the starting fluid leaked through into the exhaust port. We changed the valve out and I had excellent compression.

42F67N
12-12-2003, 07:00 PM
I checked the compression by trying to start it with my finger in the plug hole pushed my finger out so i figured it was pretty strong.

short4stuff
12-12-2003, 07:14 PM
I checked the compression by trying to start it with my finger in the plug hole pushed my finger out so i figured it was pretty strong.

lol thats a good way to test lol... i dont know how accurate you would be though

jenndnn3
12-12-2003, 07:26 PM
You are so close its not even funny.... Ya the finger thing is enough. It should fire, but doesnt mean something is not bad. Triple check these things...points open at F not T. Fulley opened does not exceed the .03 ( I think thats the right number, better double check that one) The timing is lined up PERFECTLY. You see spark has to come at the exact moment or these things are a bear to start. Check spark plug every few pulls is it too wet, oily(this be a problem), dry??..wipe put it back in. Sometimes the best start is to push it then she kicks in. I will look in my drawer I may have your cap, But I have to look first. Jen

junjun01
12-12-2003, 08:04 PM
I Have Email You A Couple Times About This Bike...I Had The Same Problem,Mi Bike Was Running Then It Just Shutt Off,Dind't Want To Start Agian...I Tried The Same Things You Did...Just When I Was About To Give Up..!...Guess What It Was ??....The Plug..
Even It Was A New Plug,For Some reason It Burn Out,I Replaced & Started Back;No Problems Ever Since

J.D.
12-12-2003, 08:19 PM
I disagree with the putting the finger over the hole and turning it over, then blowing your thumb off enough means it has enough compression to start. I can recall 2 instances where it would blow off your finger, but not be enough to start. That is a myth in my opinion.

42F67N
12-12-2003, 08:46 PM
jenndnn3 i dunno even know if i can get the part of the inspection cover out of the head it broke off really weird kinda like sheared it right across and the thin threads are left in the valve hole,im going to try to cut a groove in it and get a flat head screw driver in the notch but im not even sure that will work cause it must bein there pretty tight to shear off ,funny thing is i didnt even put any muscle into it and it just broke off :?:

The points are at .03 when the t on the flywheel is lining up with the line on top of the side cover,i guess thats how its done the book i got isnt to specific on how you do it it doesent show a picture so u can see the mark so i was basically guessing thats it?

To time the motor all u have to do is make sure the t is on that mark when the points are fully open correct?

42F67N
12-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I managed to get the broken piece of the inspection cover out,i decided to take the carb apart and make sure its clean it looked good no jets clogged or anything bottom of the bowl was clean,float had no holes in it but when i removed the float the little piece that sits on the needle broke off so it now needs a float to lol

so far it still wont run and now needs a new float and a inspection cover so i guess ill buy a new float and a carb rebuild kit i had the intire carb apart 2 times to clean it so i might as well rebuild it.

I dunno what to do after that though im stumped as to why it wont run!

CHAD-98
12-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Guess What It Was ??....The Plug..
No Problems Ever Since

Did you replace the plug? Dont just clean it...replace it. Buy a couple.
My blaster $hits the bed once every 2 or 3 months. Change the plug, and she is good to go.

Go buy a compression tester...

junjun01
12-13-2003, 04:23 AM
[quote="junjun01"]Go buy a compression tester...
Does That Means Me ?;..And Yes Its A New Plug

CHAD-98
12-13-2003, 10:03 AM
[quote="junjun01"]Go buy a compression tester...
Does That Means Me ?;..And Yes Its A New Plug

No, not you.
42f67n said he checked the compression with his thumb. Thats not too accurate...

jdparsons1
12-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I aggree. Thats how i would always test it and one time it was blowing my thumb off the hole and then my friend brought his compression tester over and it only had 30lbs of pressure. I ended up buying one. I think i paid $40 for it at auto zone and it came with 5 different ends.

42F67N
12-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Im gonna price a rebuild from a small local shop i think shouldnt be to much if i supply all the parts.

Compression tester is on my xmas list retsalb

junjun01
12-13-2003, 03:42 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=16356
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

42F67N
12-13-2003, 04:55 PM
junjun im serioulsy thinking about getting rid of this atc 70 seems like its alot of headaches,this is only the 2nd 4 stroke ive ever bought and both were more trouble then they were worth lol

junjun01
12-13-2003, 06:42 PM
What Can I Say.........I Have Only Ride This Bike For About 5 Minutes; All The Money Spend & Still Dind't Get To enjoyed.
I Can't Wait For My Tax Money To Get Something Else.
I Think That Honda Is The Best; I Think It's Just This 70's;Had A 125m
That Never Give Me Any Problems.
I Would Buy Yours...But Im Broke,..I'm Going To Start A Fundraising !
Could Be The Carb...It Was Idling Crappy & Leaking Gas From The Overfill Hose :?

42F67N
12-13-2003, 07:11 PM
If its leaking from the overflow hose maybe the floats stuck in the bowl try tapping the float bowl with a screwdriver or something if its stuck it might jar it loose.

junjun01
12-13-2003, 07:25 PM
I Was Going To Save The Money Of A New Plug & Buy Some Rope To Hang Myself...But Instead I Will Hang The Bike & Wacht The Fluids Come Out...Waohahaha :twisted:

42F67N
12-13-2003, 07:27 PM
And here i thought the 70 i had was making me crazy lol

junjun01
12-13-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm
Not
Crazy :rolleyes:
:evil: Just Mad As Hell :evil:

junjun01
12-13-2003, 07:34 PM
My psychiatric says Im Not Crazy...But He Say Leave That Molotov At Home Next Session :-D

42F67N
12-14-2003, 12:38 AM
This 70 is driving me crazy but i just cant stop ive gotta get it running! not because i need it because i wont let it beat me hahahaha

hondarox
12-14-2003, 09:36 PM
i had an atc 70....payed 40 bucks for it..it ran fora long time then didn't work it was off timing 2 teeth..yuo should try ajusting your timing again :shock: