PDA

View Full Version : '83 ATC 200E leaking oil from bottom of pull start

Big G
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Bought a fixer-upper ATC 200E a month ago for a hundred bucks (seperate thread on that score). Anyways, I got it running, tuned, cleaned up, etc. - all ready to sell! Well so I thought. The other day I took it for a quick ride, and noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the pull start assembly (there's a small opening there) - it was leaking pretty good, not just a slow drip! Well I did a quick search on this site and found a couple threads that speak of an oil seal on the left crankcase cover around the pulley boss that could be leaking. I figured this must be the problem, so last night I took the pulley assembly off, which exposed the pulley boss. Well low and behold, there wasn't a leaking seal, but rather no seal at all! I guess a previous owner took the left crankcover off, and forgot or didin't bother putting a new seal in. No wonder it was leaking oil! Well I ordered a new crankcase cover seal from the local Honda shop, but what I'm wondering is does anyone know which way the seal goes in? I haven't received the seal yet, but assume that it will have two different mating surfaces. I checked the manual, and the picture isn't clear enough to tell which way it goes. Also, because there's no seal in there now, I have nothing to go by. Thanks in advance if anyone's able to help me out.

Oh also, does anyone know why the stator is exposed to oil like this. When taking the crankcase cover off, I could see that oil gets in and around the stator/alternator, I guess to lube the nearby starter/idle gears. Is this normal? I don't know much about electrical, but am surprised it's okay for oil to be splashing on stator/alternator...

kb0nly
02-22-2013, 12:40 AM
The seal goes in from the outside, start it with your fingers then just tap in gently with a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood. Its totally normal for the stator to be wet with oil, its a wet system, it lubes the gears yes but also the timing chain is there as well behind the flywheel and the oil return from the head is down the timing chain galley. The stator is lacquered on the coils to seal em up a bit but they don't care if they are soaked in oil.

Big G
02-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the reply KB. But what I'm wondering is does the seal itself go in a certain way. What I'm saying is does it matter what side of the seal is facing out?

Thanks for the explanation of how the oil system works on this side of the crankcase. Glad to have a better understanding, and it makes sense now that I see the stator is lacquered!

And sorry I haven't posted pics yet of my trikes. I know I mentioned in a previous post that I would have them up last weekend. With 3 kids it seems like the simplest things (taking pictures of some ATC's and posting them) can be a daunting task! I'll really try and get some pics up by this weekend :p .

tri again
02-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Not sure about this seal in particular, but many
are flat on the outside so it all looks flush and
like the inside of a bottle cap towards the inside usually with a thin spring to
pinch it around whatever shaft, and certainly nothing wrong with a little oil
on the seal where they contact whatever part spins.

I've been known to glue them in with a touch of contact cement.
Almost never necessary but helps me sleep when it's a rear
main engine seal hidden by a 400 pound transmission.
Larger seals can squish out like larger diameter pvc pipe.

edit ps-
just notice Victoria, BC
My daughter lives there.
Gonna go up and see Leo Kottke at the Alix Goolden Hall

Where can you ride up that a way?

Big G
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks Tri Again...Cool that you're going to Victoria. I live further north on the Island, near Campbell River. Tons of riding with all the logging roads. They all connect so you can pretty much go anywhere once you get onto one of them. Most hunting/fishing stores sell a backroad map. Hope you enjoy your stay!

kb0nly
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
The seal usually has printed info on the one side and that side has a flat area like he mentioned, thats the front or outside of the seal. Make sure when you reinstall the recoil pulley that you put some fresh oil on the surface of it that sits in the seal and also some oil on the seal, you can use a bit of light weight assembly lube or grease if you want but oil i sufficient.