PDA

View Full Version : 86' 250sx?? picked it up (pics)

BeersBuds&Mud
02-19-2013, 06:27 PM
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3611917634.html
I'm going to look at this trike tomorrow. I talk to the guy he said she runs strong, Fenders are good, everything is there. But one problem, last time he rode her it was making noise. He said by the time he took it for a 1mile ride the noise progressively got worse. So do you guys think its a rear barring or something bigger?
Doug please help!! Lol
Thanks

Flyingw
02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
It could be rear axle bearings going bad or diff bearings going bad. It will take a little troubleshooting to determine the cause. Until then, anything else is pure speculation. Bad wheel bearings, no biggie. Diff bearings bad, not so good.

BigRedRider85
02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Hard to tell until you ride it for yourself....gives you the chance to get it for cheap. if the price is right jump on it.

the great gazoo
02-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd definitly go check it out, maybe lowball him by a clam & tell him what it's going to need to fix the noise( a hundred dollar fix!) it looks great cosmetically & there's lots of parts available here & Ebay, PLUS the 86 & 87 SXs have the sealed rear drum, better carb, & exhaust shield at the first bend of the header.

nstyle73
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Personally, I would price an entire differential just to have an idea as what to offer him, as I have had the bearings go out, and the noise I heard was the missing teeth on the ring gear. The pinion bearing is a pain in the butt to get out if it has to be replaced. I just bought an 85 that the guy said ran and when I got there it wouldn't move. I gave him $200, went to the truck and got my de-icer, sprayed it down the driveshaft boot, waited a couple minutes and rode it up into my truck. It wasn't as clean as that one, or an 86 though.

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2013, 08:14 PM
The 85 did not seal as well as the 86/87.

People rip the boot or it gets past that huge brake drum seal (Which is now discontinued.) As well as the many "bolted connections" that I tear apart and seal everything up.

Definitely remove or ask the seller to remove the differential fill plug.

Lots of nice trikes out there, don't jump too quick.........

BeersBuds&Mud
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but will the 85’-86’ 250es differential fit on the 86’ 250sx?

Flyingw
02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
If the SX diff gears are not damaged then rebuilding the diff is worth the small investment. I have the special tools to completely disassemble the diff if you want me to do it. 175.00 for parts and labor. Before you decide to rebuild it, pop the fill plug off and look at the ring gear. You would be looking for damaged or missing teeth on the ring gear. The gear teeth edges should be sharp and pronounced so spotting damaged teeth shoud be obvious. Also, drain the oil out of the diff and look for metal in the oil. If the gears are not damaged, rebuilding it will be textbook.

BeersBuds&Mud
02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
If the SX diff gears are not damaged then rebuilding the diff is worth the small investment. I have the special tools to completely disassemble the diff if you want me to do it. 175.00 for parts and labor. Before you decide to rebuild it, pop the fill plug off and look at the ring gear. You would be looking for damaged or missing teeth on the ring gear. The gear teeth edges should be sharp and pronounced so spotting damaged teeth shoud be obvious. Also, drain the oil out of the diff and look for metal in the oil. If the gears are not damaged, rebuilding it will be textbook.
I just sent you a PM asking the question you just answered!! Lol

Thanks for all the help!!!

Gripit'n'ripit
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
......buy.....it.....

dougspcs
02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3611917634.html
I'm going to look at this trike tomorrow. I talk to the guy he said she runs strong, Fenders are good, everything is there. But one problem, last time he rode her it was making noise. He said by the time he took it for a 1mile ride the noise progressively got worse. So do you guys think its a rear barring or something bigger?
Doug please help!! Lol
Thanks

Hey Cord, sorry I was away in northern Ontario sledding for the last 5 days..off the grid and way from technology.

Did you get the SX? I looked at it and considered it..but alas, no more space at the moment.

At $600 go get it..even talk him to $500.

The ES rear end will fit but the gear ratios are different..but no big, lots have done this.

Let me know how the deal turned out..

BeersBuds&Mud
02-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Cord, sorry I was away in northern Ontario sledding for the last 5 days..off the grid and way from technology.

Did you get the SX? I looked at it and considered it..but alas, no more space at the moment.

At $600 go get it..even talk him to $500.

The ES rear end will fit but the gear ratios are different..but no big, lots have done this.

Let me know how the deal turned out..

there is the man lol!! l just sent you a PM!
but for everyone else- went and looked at it yesterday and there was no metal shavings in the diff oil and no damaged teeth on the ring gear! so i gave the guy 50$ to hold it til friday! still have to tell the wife! might be in the dog house for awhile, but i dont care its worth it!! :rolleyes:

dougspcs
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
there is the man lol!! l just sent you a PM!
but for everyone else- went and looked at it yesterday and there was no metal shavings in the diff oil and no damaged teeth on the ring gear! so i gave the guy 50$ to hold it til friday! still have to tell the wife! might be in the dog house for awhile, but i dont care its worth it!! :rolleyes:

My motto:

It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

LastFoolerInVA
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
My motto:

Thats my motto 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyingw
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
You go girl!!!!!!

BeersBuds&Mud
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm going to go pick up the SX tomorrow and as we are out that way my buddy is going to pick this 200x
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/rvs/3564365037.html

The island triking crew is get stronger!!

BeersBuds&Mud
02-21-2013, 09:30 PM
My motto:

I'm not going to tell her!! Lol:beer
She thinks I'm going to work tomorrow

dougspcs
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm not going to tell her!! Lol:beer
She thinks I'm going to work tomorrow

Now wait a minute..there is a thin line between not giving the whole truth and fibbing!!

You're making me an accessory in this crime..

Tread carefully!

redsox
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
agreed!!! i don't know how sharp the bride is, but if you just mix it into the pack and pretend nothing happened, it will most likely go unnoticed.

tri again
02-22-2013, 08:14 AM
you say the noise got worse as he rode it?
does that mean you could ride it a few feet?

or is the noise just running and not necessarily rolling?

I love those freakin' machines, but have enough parts now to where nothing really scares me
except they are getting harder to come by.

Used to see good or at least fixable trikes for 1-500$.
usually 1/2 days work and they're runners.

In the last half year, I've seen nothing and I mean virtually nothing available.
Last week I found a 250es for 750
and a 200 es for 250 so maybe they're crawling out from under rocks again.

What I really need is a garage with an attached house.

BeersBuds&Mud
02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Now wait a minute..there is a thin line between not giving the whole truth and fibbing!!

You're making me an accessory in this crime..

Tread carefully!
Lol! She knows I have the money she just don't know I'm coming home with it today!! I just told her I'm buying her a present!!

Flyingw
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Buying her a present........ This should be interesting. Rock on Brother.

Fungo Wizard
02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
LOL! I told my wife the same thing about the 85 sx I bought a couple years ago, and now she refers to it as her three wheeler. LOL

Lol! She knows I have the money she just don't know I'm coming home with it today!! I just told her I'm buying her a present!!

BeersBuds&Mud
02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
well i went and pick her up on friday!! got it home and started wrenching. We put a rearend on her from a 85'SX, it fit with no problems!! rode it around all day saturday. then my buddy come over to ride it, Well he like it sooo much he offered me 700$ for it, it was hard to sell her but he really need a trike!! now he dont have to sit home while all of us are out riding:beer. so now she is still sitting in my barn cause he has no place to sort her!! its like i never even sold it!!

THEN on sunday i found this real nice 84' 200x on CL for 1000$. told my other buddy about it (he just blow his 200x up) so we went and looked at it. the thing is a jem!!! got it for 800$

here are some pics

and some pics of my other buddys restore tri-z we worked on all weekend (not done yet)

dustrunner
02-27-2013, 09:45 AM
how about a pic ?

dougspcs
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm starting to feel like I got some competition..there's a new CL whore in the house!!

Good on you, Cord..I sometimes buy just for the rush of the deal. Half the machines I bring home aren't really for me to ride, just to flip for a profit to keep the buying going..if you're wife sees all these machines coming and going but no money out of the bank account she'll stay happy and not get in your face about all the trikes you own. At least that's how it is in my house..here I am a couple years down the road and have a decent lineup of machines. Most bought with profit from other sales..WWEEEE

I like the tires on the TriZ, I just got a pair for my 350x and a really heavy trailing arm plate..I'm turning it into a rough terrain machine so it can handle the rocks, mud, logs and rivers on my spring ride in Kearney!

Stay on the hunt partner..

BeersBuds&Mud
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
how about a pic ?
Can u not see the pics?!?

BeersBuds&Mud
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm starting to feel like I got some competition..there's a new CL whore in the house!!

Good on you, Cord..I sometimes buy just for the rush of the deal. Half the machines I bring home aren't really for me to ride, just to flip for a profit to keep the buying going..if you're wife sees all these machines coming and going but no money out of the bank account she'll stay happy and not get in your face about all the trikes you own. At least that's how it is in my house..here I am a couple years down the road and have a decent lineup of machines. Most bought with profit from other sales..WWEEEE

I like the tires on the TriZ, I just got a pair for my 350x and a really heavy trailing arm plate..I'm turning it into a rough terrain machine so it can handle the rocks, mud, logs and rivers on my spring ride in Kearney!

Stay on the hunt partner..
Lol! Just a little bit of a CL whore! I just started my trike account so I have a little while before I start buying agian! The rush of the sale is great and the people u meet is even greater!! Lol

Those tires on the Tri-Z are the sh!t! Im going to be buying some of those for my 350x very soon!!

the great gazoo
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Can u not see the pics?!?
Really? C'mon man! That's one fine looking 200X, and a great grab for 8 clams!