PDA

View Full Version : OEM 86 250r carrier care?

plastikosmd
02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Was greasing today and started looking at the R. I have never had a carrier apart. Any routine grease or care? Not sure what the bolt in the center of the carrier is for? A place to grease the bearings? I tried a search and didn't find much for the stock arm/carrier
Thx

Super350
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
The center bolt is a "stop" bolt for the carrier. Its so you cant just spin the carrier in the swingarm indefinitely.

plastikosmd
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I'm glad I didn't try and grease it then! So really no care I guess

Marty
02-19-2013, 11:38 AM
The only care I can tell you is after 26 years of the same bearings being in there. Go to service Honda and buy new bearings and seals, even though you think they may not need changing.
A few weeks ago I was at Glamis and I was testing my 1988 trx 250r and we get back to camp and my cousin tells me "is this bad" pointing to the OEM carrier. I was shocked the carrier adjustment was gone, I guess bearing were bad and got so hot that the carrier gave, thank god my RPM axle was not hurt.

Mosh
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
If have you have never done any maintenance to your carrier, you better now before you wind up with a siezed carrier in thew swingarm or siezed axle in carrier or siezed brake hub and axle nuts.

I would remove everything, replace the carrier bearings (as in most cases you get maybe 5 years of reliable service with light riding on good OEM or aftermarket bearings) clean everything, and reassemble with waterproof silicone paste to keep everything from siezing. If you don't, then you will be posting how to remove siezed axles from carriers in a few years. Search crazy 70 man's posts. He just ran into these problems and it is very common on neglected 250R's. Also a good time to do your swingarm bearings and bolt. 9-10 times they are siezed in the swinger.

plastikosmd
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
thx guys, will check it out