PDA

View Full Version : best battery and where to buy 250SX

sledcrazyinCT
02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Title says it all what battery is going to provide trouble free service and where can I purchase one

Thanks for links and opinions

fabiodriven
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I initially bought a Walmart battery, it lasted about a year. It could have lasted longer if I had taken better care of it.

I just bought the OEM Yuasa about 2 months ago and I bring it inside if the machine is going to be sitting for more than 2 weeks or so. The cold kills them. I'll bet I get 2 years out of this one.

dustrunner
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
if ya ride it often it will help with the life...i got one from walmart 6 years ago and its still going strong... but its ridden every day...

the great gazoo
02-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I got mine from Battery Warehouse 4 years ago, I think it was 65.00, it's still going strong.............

Flyingw
02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Yep, a battery sitting outside or in an unheated shed or garage cold soaking over Winters will kill a battery. If the trike isnt going to be ridden during the Winter, take the battery out and put it in the house or someplace warm. At very least, connect a Tender up to the battery over the Winter. I get on average about 2-3 years out of a battery but mine sit in an unheated garage or my shed. Ive been wanting to try one of those gel batteries but they are spendy. I need to research them and see what the longivity and durability of those types of batteries are vs. a lead/acid battery.

This would be a good thread to have a battery discussion.

brd812
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Any made by Johnson electronics. There are only 3 or 4 imported in. Dealing with my sleds and bikes over the years don't waste your money on yuasa batteries. Johnson supplies advanced, auto zone, sears/Kmart, napa, deka, and Wally. The life is depend on care you take, freeze them in the winter or boil out during the summer kills them. I went to Amg or gel cells in most of my toys due to vibration and they all are 3 to 4 years old after I switched. My dx has a old style, but I have watch the acid levels thru summer. I think I paid about 60 buck for it, it's 4 years old. Hope it helps

90guy
02-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I am an interstate battery fan. Run them in everything from lawnmowers to my vehicle. Have had the one in my big red for 2 years now just because thats when I got it. Never had problems in my vehicles tho.

coolpool
02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm a big fan of the OEM Yuasa. This may sound like BS but my quads are 1998 models with healthy electrical systems and I'm only on the second battery in each. I used to store them outside but would remove them for about a month or two when it wouldn't get above 0 F. I wasn't riding in those temps anyway. I put a Yuasa in my BR three years ago and it's going strong. It lives in a heated shop though. I do find it funny that the quad battery is over $100 and the BR one is $65. They look the same?

RubberSalt
02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm a little surprised I didn’t hear anything about dry cells here...

They can easily last 6-8 years with proper maintenance. They can take 100% discharge. No fluid to worry about spilling out. Can with stand the worst vibrations..

http://www.odysseybattery.com/powersports.html
http://stingerelectronics.com/products.aspx

tri again
02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
I'll have to look as I have some batteries that are quite a few years old,
get ignored all winter and still work.

Saw some on ebay, gel cell no acid fill types,
two for one with free shipping.
Sounds impossible but I'll be sure to try them if they pop up again.

sledcrazyinCT
02-19-2013, 12:26 AM
I am an interstate battery fan. Run them in everything from lawnmowers to my vehicle. Have had the one in my big red for 2 years now just because thats when I got it. Never had problems in my vehicles tho.

I love their batteries and will buy nothing else for my vehicles but I bought two of their lawn series and for the money I was not impressed neither one lasted in my miller bobcat or my scag any longer than a $25 dollar battery

I am replacing a yausa and it was dead when I bought

sledcrazyinCT
02-19-2013, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=RubberSalt;1197494]I'm a little surprised I didn’t hear anything about dry cells here...

They can easily last 6-8 years with proper maintenance. They can take 100% discharge. No fluid to worry about spilling out. Can with stand the worst vibrations..

http://www.odysseybattery.com/powersports.html

I didn't see the prices listed on their site did you buy the 310 or the PC545? How much do they run?

RubberSalt
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Neither for an atv, but i got a slightly larger 1 for an audio system. :-p

Very impressed with it, but no actual hands on for atvs.